Gardening

Does anyone do any Gardening?

Does anyone enjoy Gardening?

I did some gardening the other day. Pulled out all the weeds that were growing in the broken concrete and then moved some rubbish around to make the place look less messy.

It was ok.

I guess you need a proper big garden to really do gardening.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

s.b.f wrote:
Does anyone do any Gardening?

not now. a good few years ago i did. grandparents were really into it so i use to join in, twas fun.

I don't know anything about gardening. Clueless.

But I like idea of how they're bringing in schemes to teach children about gardening/growing their own vegetables.

So, I wondered. How do I go about growing my own vegetables.

I need soil...space..erm Spade's smaller relatives....

we use to grow tomatoes, potatoes, some green stuff, plant flowers etc.

s.b.f wrote:
I don't know anything about gardening.

For me, gardening is uprooting all the weeds and stuff that you no longer want to exist where it is.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I want to grow lots of Mini vegetables too!

It's my new obsession. The closest I've come to growing things is watering the apple tree. And then something sinister happened.... . .

You wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
I don't know anything about gardening.

For me, gardening is uprooting all the weeds and stuff that you no longer want to exist where it is.

Lol

That's not what I mean at all. All flowers basically are weeds to me.

Well, it would take quite a while tog et rid of them all. Just start with a small area and keep uprooting til you get bored.

You wrote:
Well, it would take quite a while tog et rid of them all. Just start with a small area and keep uprooting til you get bored.

Are you talking about weeding?

Sort of. Weeding the flowers. Since they are weds to you, you may aswell...

I dabbled in gardening but it's very time consuming, and not as cheap as some would like to make out. In a world where we are told to "grow our own" eat "organic" encourage new habits in kids that they can use in later life, blah blah blah, everything seems like it's for the rich, even gardening.

manure,soil, propogation trays,garden tools,seeds and a lot of time and effort.
My husband was busy so he helped but i had to tend to the plants, i think we grew too many in our enthusiasm. Everything grew, we had lots of huge spanish tomatoes,runner beans which are soo easy to grow, corriander,and lots of chillie trees like the african chillies, we bengalis call them "nagga muris".

Would i do it again no, not until my children are older, i don't have the time to do it alone, and it doesn't seem value for money if compared with prices in big supermarkets. I do love doing it though. I think i'd prefer landscape gardening to growing vegetables. But the taste of your own home grown food is amazing as compared with stuff that is flown over from foreign lands. So i don't buy into that thing about it saving money, if anything you get more yield than you need and if you don't have family and friends to distribute to you will eat the same veg until you're sick of it, or end up binning some.

my parents have always grown, and ive always helped as a child so i have a real love for it, my faves were sweet pumpkin, runner beans, strawberrys, and fresh corriander yum yum. There are quite a few bangladeshi veg that can easily grow over here too, if you can get the someone to supply you with the seeds, sorry folks you can't grow paan here, but i may be wrong maybe in a high tech green house it could be achieved looool

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Tried to grow carrots last year, Failed miserably! The biggest wasn't even as long as my finger! :? Trying tomatoes this year (2 plants died already Sad ), and got some potatoes in the ground too.
My mum does all the gardening. She LOVES plants. I like choosing them, but i'm too lazy to go out and pull out weeds or plant anything!

I can just about look after my 'busy lizzie' in my en-suite. :oops:

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

A year later, and I still want to learn some gardening.

I used to do gardening once upon a time. Was very good at it and grew many fruits and vegetables in our garden.

Don't do it anymore.

How do you be "very good", or even not so good at gardening? Surely the plants grow of their own and any verbal encouragement would not do much good?

MuslimBro wrote:
I used to do gardening once upon a time. Was very good at it and grew many fruits and vegetables in our garden.

Don't do it anymore.

yay! you can give me advice for when i start...one day

You wrote:
How do you be "very good", or even not so good at gardening? Surely the plants grow of their own and any verbal encouragement would not do much good?

I say 'very good' as the plants I grew were healthy, weren't affected by harmful insects and gave loads of vegetables... although I don't like vegetables so my family had it.

Gardening is not just about planting the seed and watering it. Depending on the type of plant, one has to know how much to water, the type of soil the plant prefers, combating certain insects which harms the plant. Also knowing when to water, how to protect certain plants in winter and when to start planting the seeds as some plants take longer to mature. Not forgetting trying to fend off birds who will try and eat the seeds up so one has to watch the patch carefully.

MuslimBro sitting inside the window staring at the "patch". JUMPING UP and shooing birds away, waving arms maniacally and growing red in the face... ROFL

As most know. My mum love her flowers more than us. She talks to them better than us and sometimes we hear her talk with such nice word and one of us turn around and say "talking to me" and...we see her talking to the orchids.

I've many time threaten to give them plants a one way ticket to the compost bin.

So. My mum buys all the seeds and stuff but its my dad who actually does most of the gardening. SOmetimes i feel like i should help. but going upstairs to put on a longer top and a scarf and then get shoes you dont mind guetting muddy. By the time you're ready..well dad's done.

My littlest sister emptied the anti-slug thing all over the plants. Shok bad girl! but it actually protected them Biggrin

So now there's beans i think, strawberries. I've seen this beautiful green tomato (turn red already!) and i think we have pumpkin? (im so aware arent i?) Then in smaller pots we have herbs (i think) rosemary and mint and that other one...

and then we have orchids.

Lillies smell really strong.

I LOVE WEEDING! great stress releaver. I also like just generally tidying up the garden and make it look all neat and stuff. (involves a lot of throwing away and pulling out)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

You don't wanna mess with the Japanese knotweed - probably the worst type of weed.

Oh and don't tell me, you watch Gardeners' world.

Ocean wrote:
I was watching James Wong's garden in Chelsea Flower Show and the story of how he chose his plants... He actually TRAVELLED all the way to Malaysia to just get and idea of what he wants and how he wants it. And guess what? He was SO excited about his plants... because he loves them and yes he was smiling ALL the way through his "adventure"

Good for him. I wish i was James Wong.