Speaking in Tongues (Burden of Proof)

In 1859 Charles Darwin published his book “The Origin of the Species” both scientists and Church leaders alike immediately attacked the claims he made in this book. The “Burden of Proof” for Darwin’s theories was placed firmly at Darwin’s feet. It was for Charles Darwin to establish that life evolved from a single cell organism, with evidence. The burden was not for other scientist or religious leaders to prove evolution false.

Now; almost 150 years later the “theory of Evolution” is still just that; “a theory” But an interesting thing has happened in the wider community. The “Burden of Proof” has now shifted from the Darwinist to prove their claims, to the Church and other scientist to disprove evolution and prove the existence of God or some other alternative.

As a result of this, shift in the “original” placement of burden. Large numbers of people now find themselves defending evolution from the standpoint that it is a basic axiom of biology, (Which it is not) rather than a theory.

The same type of Burden shift has occurred in relation to the receiving of the Holy Ghost and Speaking in Tongues. When the outpouring of the Holy Ghost first occurred on the day of Pentecost ALL of the 120 disciples began speaking in tongues. After observing this event others also received the Holy Ghost. It is reasonable to state that those observers had an expectation of the same outward manifestation.

A FEW ESTABLISHED FACTS
FACT: This event was the FIRST occurrence of the outpouring of the Holy Ghost for the remission of sin.
FACT: Speaking in tongues was identified by the Apostles as the “promised” outpouring of the Holy Ghost, as promised by the prophet Joel.
FACT: This event was witnessed by people who had a reasonable knowledge and understanding of the meaning of the promised outpouring of the Holy Ghost.
FACT: hundreds, perhaps thousands of eyewitnesses, had just witnessed this event.

All of these resulted in the composite FACT that there was no “burden of proof” for the Apostles or any of the 120 to prove that those who receive the Holy Ghost will speak in tongues. For this had just been verified in front of numerous witnesses. This was also a fulfilment of Jesus’ statement Mar 16:17 and these signs shall follow them that believe… They shall speak with new tongues.

In recent years the vast majority of religious leaders believe and teach that the “burden of proof,” lies with those who profess that ALL who receive the Holy Ghost WILL speak in tongues. In reality the burden of proof” belongs to those who say, “YOU DON’T HAVE TO speak in tongues”, to prove their case by showing where this is stated in scripture.

It is clear as a matter of law according to the rules of legal evidence that those observing this event on the Day of Pentecost, had a reasonable expectation of the same outward manifestation as the one they had just witnessed; which was clearly confirmed to them as the promised outpouring of the Holy Ghost, given by God and explained by Peter the Apostle.

Those who say that you do not need to speak in tongues are saying in effect. “It is not conclusive enough according to God’s word to warrant us to have this expectation”.

To fully test this argument, one must go to the beginning of the Church and look at the FACTS. Remembering all the while the “burden of proof” lies with those who contend that speaking in tongues are not the outward manifestation associated with the baptism or being filled with the Holy Ghost.
2.2 WHAT IS: “Burden of Proof?”
An evidentiary burden of proof or burden of leading evidence is: an obligation that shifts between parties over the course of the hearing or trial. A party may submit evidence that the court will consider prima facie proof of some state of affairs.
This creates an evidentiary burden upon the opposing party to present evidence to refute the presumption.

Why is this important?

Speaking in Tongues was first observed in 33AD on the Day of Pentecost.
The events, testimonies and eye witness accounts on that day, in Jerusalem; is all we have to establish on whom to place the “Burden of Proof” (as at 10am on the Day of Pentecost 33AD)

All subsequent testimonies and experiences are to be examined on the premise that when The FIRST members of the Church received the Holy Spirit, “they ALL spoke in tongues"
Evidence is gathered and measured against this "premise" as they were established by the eye witness accounts beginning on that first day and onward.

In layman’s terms: If anyone were asked at 12pm on that day "what happens when you receive the Holy Spirit?"
The answer is without question "you will speak in different languages"
WHEN; IF AT ALL DID THIS CHANGE? “That is the Key Question that I would like answered“

I heard that if someone speaks in tongues they are possessed by the devil.

Don't know if that's true or not, though.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I agree , it is up to the monkeys to prove things.

We should sit back annd enjoy the show.

I watched this documentary ages ago about Speaking in Tongues.

A neuroscientist experimented on someone who was speaking in Tongues.

They found that the frontal area of the brain was activated increasingly more during this time.

I don't remember what the implications of it was though.

I fully understand that many today do not understand what and why speaking in tongues is. I will try to give you a breif overview from the Bible, You make your own mind up on the matter.
Lets start in the Old Testament...In the Old Testament Prophecy of Jeremiah we read the wonderful promise that Almighty God was to make a New Covenant with His Israel people:

“Behold the days come saith the Lord that I will make a New Covenant with the House of Israel and with the House of Judah. Not according to the Covenant that I made with their fathers ... which my Covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them saith the Lord. But this shall be the Covenant that I will make with the House of Israel, after those days saith the Lord: I will put my law in their inward parts and write it in their hearts: and will be their God and they shall be my people.” - (JEREMIAH 3: 31-33)

Jeremiah's contemporary Ezekiel expands further by stating:

“A new heart also will I give you and a new spirit will I put within you! and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh and I will give you an heart of flesh, and I will put my spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes and ye shall keep my judgements and do them.” - (EZEKIEL 36: 26-27)

Just as there was a physical sign in the flesh of the Old Covenant, namely circumcision, so in like manner there is a physical sign in the flesh of receiving the New Covenant blessing of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. It is the Glossolalia or "speaking in tongues" even as Isaiah predicted:

“For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people.” - (ISAIAH 28: 11)

If you are in any doubt as to whether this reference is taking about Speaking in Tongues. Paul quotes from Isaiah 28:11-12 when referring to why tongues are required in a church service. We read...1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 1Co 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

The entire Quotefrom Isaiah reads...Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. Isa 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

This begs the question. Is the REST (Sabbath) important?.....A quick overview: Exo 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. Exo 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

The importance of the keeping of the Sabbath is again reiterated. It is a Sign & a perpetual covenant. Compare to Isa_28:11-12 & 1Co_14:21-22 & Col_2:16-17

When we are converted and receive the Holy Spirit. We enter the Rest and the Refreshing. We cease from works and are saved by grace.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Your sins are blotted out when the “time of refreshing” comes (INSIDE YOU)
That is: “from the presence of the Lord;”

The very next verse in Corinthians 14 after Paul referenced Isaiah we read...1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

So there you have it Tongues is a sign that you are in the right place!

PROCLAIMED BY JOHN THE BAPTIST
The Lord Jesus said concerning John the Baptist that there was no greater one, born of woman. He was full of the Holy Spirit from his mother’s womb and was the Herald, preparing the way for the coming Messiah. This was what John proclaimed to those he preached to on the banks of the River Jordan, almost two thousand years ago:

“I indeed baptise you with water unto repentance; but he that cometh after me is mightier than I. whose shoes I am not worthy to bear; He shall baptise you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.” - (MATTHEW 3:11)

“I have indeed baptised you with water: but He shall baptise you with the Holy Ghost and fire.” - ( MARK 1:8 )

“John answered saying unto them all, I indeed baptise you with water, but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: He shall baptise you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.” - (LUKE 3:16)

John clearly pointed forward to the Lord Jesus not only as our Saviour/Redeemer - but also as our Baptiser with the Holy Ghost.

PROMISED BY THE LORD JESUS
If the word declared by John the Baptist and by the Old Testament prophets is not sufficient to satisfy the sceptic, surely the words of the Lord Jesus Christ should be enough to settle the matter once and for all. As you will see there is no doubt that
Jesus promised the power of the Spirit to all who will believe. Let us look at these precious promises.

(1) “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name(Jesus) shall they cast out devils, they shall SPEAK WITH NEW TONGUES; they shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not harm them; they
shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.” - (MARK 16: 17-18)

These words were spoken by the Lord Jesus in the context of the great commission to go and preach the Gospel. So that Gospel was obviously inclusive of the signs listed. The fact that miraculous signs would follow the preaching of the true Gospel is further alluded to by the writer to the Hebrews. He states that the spoken word was confirmed in the following way:

“God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders and divers miracles and gifts of the Holy Ghost according to His own will.” - (HEBREWS 2: 4)

(2) ‘And behold I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.” - (LUKE 24: 49)

Here the Holy Spirit Baptism is spoken of by Jesus as the “promise of the Father” and He states that it will fill them with dynamic power.

(3) “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth, it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away the Comforter (Holy Spirit) will not come unto you; but if I depart I will send Him unto you." - (JOHN 16: 7)

(4) “Verily, verily I say unto you that he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father ... and I will pray the Father and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever; even the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive ... I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.” - (John 14: 12-18)

(5) ‘And being assembled together with them (Jesus) commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem but wait for the promise of the Father, which saith He, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptised with water; but ye shall be baptised with the Holy Ghost not many days hence ... but ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you; and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem and in all Judaea and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” - (ACTS 1: 4-8)

These are unbreakable promises to every believer, to whom this same Jesus promised eternal life. Why must puny men seek to eliminate these promises in order to make the Bible conform to their own pre-conceived theological viewpoint?

WHAT DO I MEAN - INITIAL EVIDENCE?
In our accounts of the Pentecostal outpouring in the Book of Acts, I have referred to the Glossolalia or speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of the Holy Spirit Baptism. This is quite accurate, and Scriptural so to do. Just as circumcision of the flesh
was the outward sign of the Old Covenant, so there is an outward visible manifestation of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, sealing us into the New Covenant. It is the speaking in tongues, the stammering lips of which the prophet spoke.However let me stress that whilst tongues are the initial evidence they are not the final evidence. As we go deeper into our walk with the Holy Spirit, as we climb the ladder of spiritual maturity I would expect to see other gifts and graces being made manifest in the lives of Spirit-filled believers. I would expect to see a spiritual transformation of life conduct and character. The initial evidence of the Holy Spirit Baptism is certainly the tongues of I Corinthians 12, but the ultimate evidence is that the life of such a one measure up to the standards set in I Corinthians 13.

If the believer manifests all of the Spiritual Gifts listed in I Corinthians 12: 8-10 but fails to manifest the Spiritual Graces or Fruits listed in Galatians 5: 22-23, it would be rather like a bird trying to fly with one wing. The true Pentecostal message is
one of balance rather than one of excess.

MANIFESTED AT PENTECOST

Let us now see how these wonderful promises were fulfilled. There are several incidents in the Book of Acts which tell us what happened when the Holy Spirit came.

(1) THE DAY OF PENTECOST
And when the Day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all of one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.” - (ACTS 2: 1-4)

The one hundred and twenty obedient followers of Jesus, tarrying in the upper room at Jerusalem had received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and the outward sign or initial evidence was the speaking in other tongues.

DRUNK OR FULFILLING PROPHECY
So great was the commotion or disturbance that was created by this miraculous phenomena, that the crowds thought the Spirit filled Christians were drunk:

‘And they were amazed and were in doubt, saying one to another what meaneth this? Others mocking said these men are full of wine.” - (ACTS 2: 12-13)

However Peter was quick to respond to them by pointing out very forcefully that what they were seeing and hearing was the beginning of the fulfilment of the words of the Old Testament prophet Joel. Peter stated:

“Hearken to my words; for these are not drunken as ye suppose - BUT THIS IS THAT WHICH WAS SPOKEN BY THE PROPHET JOEL — and it shall come to pass in the last days (the Christian era of prophecy) saith God, I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy and your young men shall see visions and your old men shall dream dreams and on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days my Spirit.” - (ACTS 2: 15-18)

EVERY MAN HEARS EVERY LANGUAGE FROM EVERY BELIEVER
As a result of this first outpouring of Holy Spirit power, thousands of Israelites of the Diaspora, gathered in Jerusalem to observe the Feast of Pentecost, were able to hear in their own language the Gospel being preached:

“The multitude came together and were confounded because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled saying one to another; Behold ate not all these which speak Galileans? and now hear we every man in our own tongue wherein we were born.” - (ACTS 2: 6-8)

The result that they were pricked in their heart or as we would say they were convicted of their sinful lifestyles; religious though they might have been, Israelites though they might have been, it was not enough. They cried out:

“Men and brethren what must we do?”

and Peter replied using the keys of the Kingdom:

“Repent and be baptised every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for (on account of) remission of sins, and ye shall receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost.” - (ACTS 2: 37-38)

As if in anticipation of those who would rise up to say that the experience of the Holy Spirit Baptism had ceased and was given only to convince the people of these days; Peter went on to say:

“For the promise is unto you and to your children and to all that are afar off — even as many as the Lord our God shall call.” - (ACTS 2: 39)

Here we note the Holy Spirit Baptism was not limited to those present in Jerusalem at that particular Feast of Pentecost. It was to:

Angel Your children — descendants, succeeding generations up to and including the present time.

(B) All that are afar off — These were the divorced, dispersed and scattered Israelites of the Diaspora, the same people James described in his Epistle as the “Twelve Tribes which are scattered abroad.”

(C) As many as the Lord our God shall call.

If God has called you, and drawn you by His Spirit to the experience of salvation by repentance and saving faith in the blood Christ shed at Calvary if you are indeed one of the elect — then this Pentecostal blessing is still for you today It was this old time Apostolic power preaching that saw three thousand saved in one day.

THE REVIVAL IN SAMARIA
In the eighth chapter of Acts we read of a great religious revival or spiritual awakening, taking place in the city of Samaria. It had resulted from Philip preaching the things concerning the Kingdom of God and many had repented and been baptised in water in the name of the Lord Jesus. Mighty miracles of healing took place and when the news reached the church in Jerusalem, they sent the Apostles Peter and John to Samaria.
What was their purpose in going? To pray for the new Christians to receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. When we read the story it becomes quite clear, that we did not receive all God had for us, at conversion/repentance, or even when we were baptised in water. Let us see what the Bible tells us. Peter and John when they were come down to Samaria:

“Prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Ghost: for as yet he was fallen on none of them: only they were baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Ghost.” - (ACTS 8: 15-16)

So it is Scriptural for the ministry to pray for and lay hands on believing, baptised Christians that they might receive the Holy Spirit Baptism.

THE HOUSEHOLD OF CORNELIUS
In the tenth chapter of Acts we read the wonderful story of the conversion to Christ of the Centurion Cornelius and his household at the city of Caesarea. The very way in which Peter had been led to go from Joppa and preach the Gospel to him was miraculous in itself. Let us pick up the story as it reaches a dramatic climax. Peter has just proclaimed that sins can be forgiven those who believe on the Lord Jesus:

“While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them that heard the word, and they of the circumcision were astonished as many as came with Peter that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then answered Peter. Can any man forbid water that these should not be baptised which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?” - (ACTS 10: 44-47)
Let me ask the honest seeker after truth just one simple question; How did Peter and his associates know that Cornelius and his household had received the Holy Spirit? What was the immediate, initial evidence?
Answer: THEY HEARD THEM SPEAK WITH TONGUES.

THE CHURCH AT EPHESUS
In the nineteenth chapter of Acts we read that when the Apostle Paul reached the city of Ephesus in Asia Minor (modern Turkey) he found a small number of people described as disciples. This would indicate that they were already Christian, certainly in the sense that they had repented, been converted and were seeking to follow the Lord. That being the case Paul put a strange question to them, but one we could repeat to so many dear people in the churches today.

“He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him we have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.” - (ACTS 19: 2)

So much for receiving everything at repentance as so many claim and teach today. Having discovered that they were baptised after the manner of John the Baptist for repentance, Paul rebaptised in Jesus’ name.

“When they heard this they were baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them and they spake in tongues and prophesied and all the men were about twelve.” - (ACTS 19: 5-7)

From these obedient Spirit-filled men grew the Church of God at Ephesus, as Paul’s anointed preaching turned the city upside down; converting the practitioners of magic, and the followers of Diana the Goddess/Queen of Heaven, in addition to many
healing miracles. Let me once again ask; how did Paul know that they had received the Holy Spirit after he prayed and laid hands on them?
Answer: he heard them SPEAK WITH TONGUES.

It was to this Ephesian church that Paul would later pen his Epistle in which he clearly taught a post conversion/repentance experience, which we know to be the Holy Spirit Baptism. Let us read what Paul said:

“That we should be to the praise of His glory who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted AFTER that ye heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation; in whom also AFTER that ye believed, ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession unto the praise of His glory.” - (EPHESIANS 1: 12-14)

Remember all these events were happening at Ephesus, in 54 A.D. some twenty years after the Day of Pentecost.

I hope this can give dome measure of assurance that speaking in tongues is actually the Christian norm, not some devilish possession.

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.

Oh yes and by the way. Throughout history all of the great church leaders "Spoke in Tongues. Here are some quotes from history if you are sceptical.

1) Eusebius — An early church historian wrote and quoted in “Ecclesiastical History” pages 111-112:

“Quadratus is said to have been distinguished for his prophetical gifts ... the Holy Spirit also wrought many wonders as yet through them.”
2) Justin Martyr, around 150 A.D.

“Come into our assemblies and there you will see Him cast out demons, heal the sick and hear them speak with tongues and prophecy”

3) Irenaeus, a disciple of Polycarp, who was a disciple of the Apostle John, writing around 180 A.D. says:

“We hear many of the brethren in the Church ... speak in all tongues through the Spirit and having prophetical gifts.”

4) Tertullian — eminent church historian who lived around 200 A.D. - speaks of the spiritual gifts still operating in his day,
especially amongst the Montanists.

5) The Early Church Martyrs slain by Pagan Rome “spoke and sang in unknown tongues” according to Dean Farrar in the book “Darkness to Dawn”.

6) Chrysostom Bishop of Constantinople whose life and ministry spanned the close of the Fourth and the beginning of the
Fifth Century stated:

“Whoever was baptised in Apostolic days, he straightway spoke with tongues."

With the rise of Papal power in Europe and the onset of the Dark Ages, the Bible became a banned book, the church substituted Babylonian error for Bible Truth, and the true followers of Christ were persecuted. Truly the lamp of God did burn but dimly and the powerful gushing flow of God’s Spirit was reduced to a tiny trickle, yet even then tongues never ceased.
From the Twelfth to the Fifteenth Centuries, there continued to be outbreaks of glossolalia amongst those faithful pre- Reformation witnesses, the Waldenses and Albigenses.

7) Martin Luther — According to Dr. Theodor Sauer in his book “History of the Christian Church”, the great Protestant Reformer was:

"A prophet, evangelist, speaker in tongues and interpreter in one person endowed with all the gifts of the Spirit.”

8 ) Phillip Schaff - in “The History of the Christian Church” claims that speaking in tongues continued to appear from time to time during religious revivals amongst the Quakers, Huguenots and early Methodists.

9) The Huguenots - During the time when these French Protestants were being cruelly persecuted by the Roman Catholic King Louis XIV during the late Seventeenth and early Eighteenth Centuries, there was a great move of the Holy Spirit amongst the so-called “Church in the Desert” accompanied by speaking in tongues, and other supernatural manifestations.

10) John Wesley — Supports this contention when replying to Dr. Middleton who had written against the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, the founder of Methodism states in the mid-Eighteenth Century:

“Sir, your memory fails you — speaking in tongues has been heard more than once, no further off than the Galley’s of Dauphany”.

11) Thomas Walsh — one of Wesley’s foremost preachers wrote in his diary, 8th March 1750:

‘This morning the Lord gave me a language that I knew not of, raising my soul to Him in a wonderful manner.”

12) Charles Finney — the great Nineteenth Century Revivalist wrote:
“I received a mighty baptism of the Holy Spirit ... I wept aloud with joy and love and I do not know but I should say I literally bellowed out the unutterable gushings of my heart.”

13) D. L. Moody — John Davidson. an intimate friend of the world-renowned evangelist claimed that he also enjoyed the Gift of Tongues:

14) Dr. F. B. Myer — after a visit to Russia in the late Nineteenth Century, wrote to the “London Christian” magazine claiming that amongst the Baptists of Russia and Estonia he witnessed marvellous manifestations of Spiritual Gifts - including speaking in tongues.

Hope all this information helps you make an informed decision concerning your eternal future.

God Bless

Luke 7:35

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.

Do you have any evidence for speaking in tongues that is not from either the Bible or Christian theologians?

"Wisdom is justified by all her children" what does that exactly mean :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Ya'qub wrote:
Do you have any evidence for speaking in tongues that is not from either the Bible or Christian theologians?

What do you mean "Evidence"

1) Evidence that Tongues exists, or

2) Evidence that it derives from God and is evidence of the in-filling of the Holy Ghost?

Be more specific.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
"Wisdom is justified by all her children" what does that exactly mean :S

This scripture obviously (for you guys who do not already know) is from the Gospel of Luke Chapter 7 and verse 35; hence my call-sign Luke 7:35.

The reason I am known by this call-sign is because the things that I am talking about from scripture are verifiable proofs.

What do I mean?

Well the verse really is taking about Wisdom as being decisions that we make being justified by their resuls.

Put simply "The WISDOM of our decisions are JUSTIFIED be thier results (CHILDREN!)

As Intimated, the reason I hold to this is best sumed up by this verse....1Co 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Proof is everything, especially these days!

What is speaking in tongues?

PS using the bible as supporting evidence only works when preaching to the converted.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

PS using the bible as supporting evidence only works when preaching to the converted.

Speaking in Tongues is simply speaking in a language that you have not learnt. This phenomenon first occurred on the Day of Pentecost around 50 days after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The entire event was recorded in the book of the Acts of the Apostles.
Today Millions of ordinary people from all waks of life are experiencing the same thing. They are called "Pentecostals" as well as many others who, in some cases had also never heard of Speaking in Tongues.

With respect to your comment "using the bible as supporting evidence only works when preaching to the converted" I would beg to differ. The Bible only bacame available really from the 15th and 16th centuries. Prior to this the "preaching" was very much experiential.

What I mean by that is that normal people would see miracles (including speaking in tongues) occuring in the lives of "Christians" and with these miracles was a complete change in behaviour. This facilitated huge increase in numbers over succeeding centuries.

I have had this experience and I have witness several miracles. Here is one example
Lame walking
Three times I have seen criples stand up and walk, In one case a man had not walked for 14 years, he got baptised in water and the very next morning got out of his bed and walked without any help. His wife found him walking in the garden. His whole extended family got saved as a result.

This is the real deal my friend. Most of you reading this would only have experienced, pretend, powerless religion. That is why you probably do not relate proof with religion.

Real Christiany is a signs following, powerful, life changing event that will move the harshest critic.

God Bless

Luke 7 35 wrote:

2) Evidence that it derives from God and is evidence of the in-filling of the Holy Ghost?

That's the one. Sorry for not being clear.

Luke 7 35 wrote:
You wrote:

Speaking in Tongues is simply speaking in a language that you have not learnt.

And is there any other reason why this happens?

Hi there: The Christian experience (The real one, not the fake Powerless version that is presented to mankind by the main line religions) is a personal experience with God. When this happened to the Apostles they spoke in tongues as evidence to the individual. This in itself probably would not be accepted as evidence by onlookers. They may be curious as to the unusual nature of speaking in tongues but NOT UNTIL ONE RECEIVES THIS EVIDENCE FOR ONESELF DOES IT BECOME SUBSTANTIAL PROOF.

In the Old Testament we read...Zep 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

This "PURE LANGUAGE" enable the individual to communicate to God in a way that gives assurance of results.

In Paul's letter to the Romans we read...Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

The purpose of this "Prayer Lanuage" is twofold.

1) Private Prayer Language

2) Sign for unbelievers in the church service to verify that the church is in fact a REAL Christian church, not a fake.

Read...1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

I realise that it can sound a little crazy, the idea of God giving the individual a new language. But it is legitimate and even Jesus said so...Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Notice in verse 17 "They Shall Speak in New Tongues"

Investigate this subject in detail and you will find that people all over the world are having this experience and are seeing real, tangable results in their lives.

God Bless

Asalamu alaykum (Peace be upon you),

For the information of Muslims and non-Muslims alike, an Islamic Scholar said in a lecture, that this was Jinn possession, and God knows best.

The two primary sources that Muslims use are the Qur'an and Sunnah (way of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him). Therefore we do not just trust in verses you have quoted from the Bible alone, due to the many changes that were made by man, and many contradictions that appear in the Bible. As you are probably aware, we do believe that, in its original form, the Bible was a revelation from God.

Thanks for your concern and effort to answer any questions Muslims may have, but alhamdulillah (thanks to God), we are very happy with Islam as our religion, Allah as our Lord, and the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the final messenger. May God guide us all and help us to submit to Him alone, so that we may truly be able to find peace ameen.

Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest. (Qur'an 13: 28)

Salam

Luke 7 35 wrote:
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Thank you, it's interesting that you quoted that particular section of the bible, because it's one of the few parts that I have (limited) familiarity with.

It's interesting that you seem to have taken one short verse from the entire Bible as a major way of worshipping God.

There is a group who take the the VERY NEXT verse as a major part of their worship:

"Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents;"

I think that this is one of the reasons why Muslims are told never to look at one or two verses from the Qur'an in isolation - but instead to look at what the verses mean in the context of the WHOLE book. (of course there are many Muslims who do still look at individual verses of the Qur'an, and this can lead to some very strange behaviour too.)

Asalamu alaykum,

I agree, not to mention the fact that there is tafsir (explanation) of each verse of the Qur'an to explain the context in which it was revealed. This is why we are unable to interpret the Qur'an or any other revelations ourselves - we need Scholars.

Wasalam

Ya'qub wrote:
Luke 7 35 wrote:
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Thank you, it's interesting that you quoted that particular section of the bible, because it's one of the few parts that I have (limited) familiarity with.

It's interesting that you seem to have taken one short verse from the entire Bible as a major way of worshipping God.

There is a group who take the the VERY NEXT verse as a major part of their worship:

"Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents;"

I think that this is one of the reasons why Muslims are told never to look at one or two verses from the Qur'an in isolation - but instead to look at what the verses mean in the context of the WHOLE book. (of course there are many Muslims who do still look at individual verses of the Qur'an, and this can lead to some very strange behaviour too.)

Hi there Ya'qub..I agree that many of the "so called" Christian groups behaviour is not consistant with the Bible and that this is a great example. for the sake of understanding please read the following:

The 5 Signs that follow Believers

Looking in the word of God, especially New testament lets see the signs following doctrine in action.

Casting out devils

Act 16:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which show unto us the way of salvation.
Act 16:18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

Act 19:13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Speaking in new tongues

A spiritual gift mentioned in Act_10:44-46; Act_11:15; Act_19:6; Mar_16:17, and described in Act_2:1-13 and at length in 1 Cor 12 through 14, especially chapter 14. In fact, 1 Cor 14 contains such a full and clear account that this passage is basic. The speaker in a tongue addressed God (1Co_14:2, 1Co_14:28) in prayer (1Co_14:14), principally in the prayer of thanksgiving (1Co_14:15-17). The words so uttered were incomprehensible to the congregation (1Co_14:2, 1Co_14:5, 1Co_14:9, etc.), and even to the speaker himself (1Co_14:14). Edification, indeed, was gained by the speaker (1Co_14:4), but this was the edification of emotional experience only (1Co_14:14). The words were spoken “in the spirit” (1Co_14:2); i.e. the ordinary faculties were suspended and the divine, specifically Christian, element in the man took control, so that a condition of ecstasy was produced. This immediate (mystical) contact with the divine enabled the utterance of “mysteries” (1Co_14:2) - things hidden from the ordinary human understanding (see MYSTERY). In order to make the utterances comprehensible to the congregation, the services of an “interpreter” were needed. Such a man was one who had received from God a special gift as extraordinary as the gifts of miracles, healings, or the tongues themselves (1Co_12:10, 1Co_12:30); i.e. the ability to interpret did not rest at all on natural knowledge, and acquisition of it might be given in answer to prayer (1Co_14:13). Those who had this gift were known, and Paul allowed the public exercise of “tongues” only when one of the interpreters was present (1Co_14:28). As the presence of an interpreter was determined before anyone spoke, and as there was to be only one interpreter for the “two or three” speakers (1Co_14:28), any interpreter must have been competent to explain any tongue. But different interpreters did not always agree (1Co_14:26), whence the limitation to one.

They shall take up serpents

Only one Biblical case of a serpent or viper confronting one of the Apostles in the NT Act_28:3-7 Certainly there were no acts of "Taking up" serpents. Some translations translate Mark 16:18 {they will pick up snakes in their hands} ISV This flies in the face of verses like; Mat_4:7 Perhaps a better application can be found by exploring the Acts of the Apostles through whom these signs would be evident.

Mat 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Mat 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Luk 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
Luk 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
Luk 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Psa 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.
Psa 140:4 Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.

Firstly breaking the term up in the Greek can be helpfull.
A) The Act { taking up}
I have highlighted the translation I believe is supported by evidentury substance in the Bible
αἴρω
airo¯
ah'ee-ro
A primary verb; to lift; by implication to take up or away; figuratively to raise (the voice), keep in suspense (the mind); specifically to sail away (that is, weigh anchor); by Hebraism (compare [H5375]) to expiate sin: - away with, bear (up), carry, lift up, loose, make to doubt, expose, put away, remove, take (away, up).

Some examples of this word is used in a sentence are as follows:

Joh_10:24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt?( αἴρω airo ) If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.

Mat 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed,( αἴρω airo ) and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Luk 17:12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
Luk 17:13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.

Act 4:24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

Act 21:36 For the multitude of the people followed after, crying, Away with him.

Act 22:22 And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live.

You will notice that the concept of "Taking up" is not a litteral PICKING UP WITH ONES HANDS but rather exposing of FALSE TEATCHING.

Dirol The object { Serpents}
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Luk 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

1Co 10:9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

Rev 9:19 For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt.

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Psa 58:4 Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;

Psa 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.

Drinking any Deadly thing:

G4095
πίνω, πίω, πόω
pino¯ pio¯ poo¯
pee'-no, pee'-o, po'-o
The first is a prolonged form of the second, which (together with the third form) occurs only as an alternate in certain tenses; to imbibe (literally or figuratively): - drink.
To imbibe; absorb; Take in & Keep Mentally;(The deadly poison of the World!)

Jam 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jam 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity; so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jam 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
Jam 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Rom 3:13 Their throat is an open sepulcher; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
Rom 3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

Psa 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
Psa 58:4 Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;

Psa 140:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
Psa 140:2 Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war.

24.5 They shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover:
Act 5:15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
Act 5:16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
Act 5:17 Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,Jam 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
Jam 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
Jam 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Gen 3:13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever:
Gen 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
Gen 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

αἴρω airo¯ ah'ee-ro: To Expiate and Atone for Sin:

The Contract that Man (Adam) entered into through the original sin, is Expired and Atoned for, upon recieving foriviness of sins through the recieving of the Holy spirit. Standing between Man and Communion with God is The Flaming Sword i.e. The Holy Spirit and the Word of God

God Bless

LUke 7:35

Yeh I know...LOL

I don't like to go into such detail usually, however in this case it is warrented.

Many cults take the Mark 16:18 verse litterally and as such Temp God in so doing.

Plesase take the time to read my explanation and you will find it is reasonable and most importantly scriptural.

To you Moslems reading this I will address the legitimate concerns over the authenticity of the Bible next. As well as why I beleive the Bible to be the SOLE communication between God and Man in the written form.

God Bless

Luke 7 35 wrote:
Yeh I know...LOL

I don't like to go into such detail usually, however in this case it is warrented.

Many cults take the Mark 16:18 verse litterally and as such Temp God in so doing.

Plesase take the time to read my explanation and you will find it is reasonable and most importantly scriptural.

To you Moslems reading this I will address the legitimate concerns over the authenticity of the Bible next. As well as why I beleive the Bible to be the SOLE communication between God and Man in the written form.

God Bless

Have yo ever read a translation of the Qur'an?

Hi there Ya'qub. You asked..."Have yo ever read a translation of the Qur'an?" Not all of it, though I have studied it at some length. I do own a arabic/English copy.

I was atheist before 1990 and as such I was able to aproach both Christianity and Islam from a fairly un-biased POV.

I chose Christianity because the evidence was overwhelming.
There really is no comparison.

IMPORTANT!!!! A comparison of Orthodox Christianity and Orthodox Islam does NOT see the same result. You see Both are based on convincing argument or in other words "All Talk and NO Action"

The God of the Bible was a miracle working, power packed, Red sea parting, fearful God.

The God represented by Orthodox religion, whether Islamic, Christian, Jewish or Buddhist was a Theoretical God NOT a interactive, provable, miracle working personl God.

To help illistrate this I will share with you a Story from the Bible...1Ki 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him.

NOW THIS CAN BE: THE LORD or BAAL or it could be ISLAM or CHISTIANITY or anything!!!! Lets continue...And the people answered him not a word. 1Ki 18:22 Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men.
1Ki 18:23 Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under:
1Ki 18:24 And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.

NOW THIS IS MY POINT THE REAL GOD ANSWERS BY FIRE.(TANGABLE PROOF)

John the Baptist anounced the coming of Jesus this way:
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

When this happened to the Apostles they Spoke in Tongues of FIRE!

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME AND THIS IS HOW TO DETERMINE A REAL CHRISTIAN.

The word CHRISTIAN means or is made up of two greek words: CHRIST (Annointed) and IAN (One) Christian therfore means Annointed One. The problem today is that most so-called Christians are not Annointed at all!!! They just call themselves Christian and devalue the whole concept in so doing.

Moslems look at these people and say (rightfully so) "I see no difference with Islam, I might just as well remain Moslem" I am here to tell you that the real deal is happening to millions all over the world and Jesus is coming back for those and those alone.

Just like Noah's Ark. GET IN THE BOAT!

God Bless

Salam,

In fact, I'm a convert to Islam, and I have attended a Christian school since I was around 11/12. I therefore researched both religions, as you did, and thanks to God, since I prostrated to God in the way our beloved Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us and was taught, I could never turn back from the religion of Islam. The beautiful concept of the Oneness of God in Islam is something that touches the heart.

Have you studied the life of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)? Even for a non-Muslim, his life demonstrates how he was of astounding character and morals (peace be upon him).

When reading the Qur'an and not being able to accept that it is from Almighty God alone, who did you think the source of it was? This video is really good for Muslims and non-Muslims alike:

You may want to have a look at these too:

May God guide us.

Salam

It's strange how you seem to talk about the 'God of the Bible' and the 'God of Islam' as if they are different.

It says clearly in the Qur'an that Muslims worship the SAME God as the Christians and Jews. We believe He sent down the Torah to the Prophet Moses (peace be upon him) and then the Gospel to the Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him). So those two books ARE also from God.

The difference between them and the Qur'an (and why we look to the Qur'an as guidance) is that the Torah and the Gospel have been distorted over the last 2000+ years, whereas the Qur'an has been preserved.

This is for many reasons, but one which I think is important is about keeping it in it's original language. There is only ONE version of the Qur'an IN ARABIC, and any translation into another language is ONLY a translation, and should never be confused to be the actual word of God. Only the Arabic version is. And in Turkey there is a copy of a Qur'an from a few years after the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) passed away, and the copy is EXACTLY the same as a Qur'an that you will find today in a book shop.

Whereas the Bible, there are loads of versions, the Catholics have a different number of chapters than the Protestants, and there isn't any copies of the 'original' Bible from the time of the Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him).

I was also an atheist, and converted to Islam over three years ago. It's very interesting that our experiences of the two religions was so different, because I was never drawn to any other religion than Islam, which for me is the pure way of worshipping the ONE true God, and it is so simple and logical - Christianity has so many contradictions and confusions, which Islam simply DOESN'T have. I tried looking for problems with Islam or contradictions/falsehoods in the Qur'an, and quite simply I couldn't find any.

I hope you don't feel I'm being offensive to your beliefs, I think it's good, and important, we should be able to talk openly about different beliefs, because in the end we have the same goal: to seek Truth. Hopefully we could be able to help each other get closer to that.

Aha xD

How cool is this >.<

Biggrin

(that we have someone who's jewish, two converts to Islam and a convert to Christianity. AWEsome no?)

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Aha xD

How cool is this >.<

Biggrin

(that we have someone who's jewish, two converts to Islam and a convert to Christianity. AWEsome no?)

And what are YOU?

Ya'qub wrote:
MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Aha xD

How cool is this >.<

Biggrin

And what are YOU?

your worst nightmare Wink

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #