Joint Statement from British Muslim Scholars on Upcoming Elections

Salaam

Vote on 4 June and Discharge Your Duty as Responsible Citizens

A Joint Statement from British Muslim Scholars on the forthcoming local and European elections

Indeed all praise belong to Allah, we praise Him, seek His aid and His forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evils of our souls and the evils of our actions. Whomsoever Allah guides, there is none to misguide and whomsoever Allah misguides, no one can guide him. We testify that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah alone. He has no partners and we testify that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

Prayers and Salutations upon His chosen Prophet, upon the Prophet's household, his companions, and all the Prophets.

Allah, subahanahu wa ta ‘ala says:

"Verily never will Allah change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (within their own souls)." Ar-ra’d 13:11

“There is no good in much of their secret conferences save (in) whosoever enjoineth charity and fairness and peace-making among the people and whoso does that, seeking the good pleasure of God, We shall bestow on him a vast reward.” (Al-Nisa’, 4:114).

1. As ulema, scholars belonging to Islam’s diverse traditions and schools of thoughts, we come together today to urge our brothers and sisters to take part in the forthcoming election and vote on 4 June.

2. Participating in the democratic process is vital. As citizens we have a right to choose the people who represent us and to determine who gets to affect our daily lives. As Muslims, we have an obligation to join hands with others to elect those who will seek the common good.

3. In Britain, our democratic system is undergoing serious upheaval as many people are justifiably skeptical about our political class embroiled in scandal. Muslims too are understandably de-motivated by this and there will be a stronger temptation to stay away from the forthcoming elections.

4. We urge all to resist this tendency. Muslims should exercise their vote, and use the opportunity, alongside their fellow Britons, to vote for people who they feel will represent them, and will discharge their duty to seek the common good in a spirit of public service. It is a time to demand greater scrutiny of those who represent us.

5. On June 4, we have an added responsibility to vote in the European elections. For the first time, openly anti-Muslim parties have a very real chance of gaining national prominence by winning a seat in the European Parliament. They will join Islamophobes from continental Europe to further perpetuate their message of hate against Muslims. In the past, their leaders have described Islam as “a vicious, wicked faith” and have falsely accused Muslims of all sorts of crimes. Their words have led to racist violence – if they get elected on 4 June, they will have public funding that will only amplify their vicious Islamophobia.

We urge our respected scholars and Imams to discuss these five points at their Jumuah Khutbah this Friday. We urge all, young and old, men and women, to mobilise and vote on 4 June. Ensure all members of your families and your locality are organised to vote together in great numbers and stop racist and anti-Muslim candidates get elected in the European Parliament.

Imam Abul Hussain Khan – Islamic Forum of Europe
Maulana Abdul Hadi Umri - Jamiat Ahle hadith (UK)
Maulana A.K. Moudood Hasan – Da’watul Islam UK & Eire
Sheikh Ahmad Saad - North London Central Mosque
Maulana Bostan Qadri - Confederation of Sunni Mosques, UK
Hafiz al Karmi - Director Mayfair Islamic Centre, London
Sheikh Kamal Helbawi - London
Mufti Muhammad Aslam - Jamiat Ulema Britain
Maulana Muhammad Sarfraz Madni - UK Islamic Mission
Maulana Shahid Raza – Chairman, Mosques & Imams National Advisory Board
Maulana Shamsul Hoque – Tower Hamlets Council of Mosques
Sheikh Shukri - Muslim Welfare House
Maulana Qamruzzam Azami - Manchester

So..who are people thinking of voting for?

*spits on ground*Labour*spits again*.

Or no one.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I got a call today:

"Assalamu Alaikum Sister"

ME: "erm..wa'alaikum Salaam"

"Are you voting for labour?"

ME: (half asleep): What?

"BNP nearly won last year"

ME: Okay.

"So will you vote for Labour?"

ME: Who are you?

"BNP nearly won last year..*mentions lots of statistics*...and blah blah"

ME: I haven't thought about it yet...

"It's on Friday.You vote on Friday" [In the most disapproving tone ever]

ME: okay.

What was all that about? I think he was a local Labour supporter person thingy.

So who are you gonna vote for then?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

:S I really don't know.

Who's the best to vote for?

BNP. just to tick off the person who called you.

On the other hand, if you are really undecided, don't vote anyone. go ahead with your day as usual.

But would that not be a waste? It's just something I haven't thought about. Maybe I will tomorrow.

Why are you spitting and voting for Labour?

Because on the whole its a bad bunch. Labour also have done some things I disagree with totally. Their policies on information retention, spying on people etc are going to be really damaging, but the alternative parties are the same if not worse.

Actually, A "no vote" is far more likely from me.