Good deeds that made you feel proud of the Ummah - please contribute

Asalamu alaykum,

I am writing an article about good deeds brothers and sisters have done which you have witnessed...which make you thank Allah swt to be part of the Ummah. Please contribute..it can be anything from seeing a Muslim giving Da'wah to a non-Muslim to a Muslim helping an old lady cross the road. Jazakum Allah khyrn.

Wasalam

It may be because I spend my days in a daze, but I currently cannot think of anything where I would say "Mashallah, that person did good and it was only because the person was Muslim that he did it".

Then again these days I rarely leave the house, so my observation of human interaction is very limited.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I assume that the angle of the question is to counter the negative image in the media where event after event may make people ashamed to be affiliated with "those people"?

So the question could be "Things that Muslims do that don't make you ashamed to be Muslim"?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

A good thing - I have at times years before marvelled where I could walk into a strange environment (mostly work placed), not know anyone there and still be "taken in" with warmth simple because I was Muslim (or Pakistani... in which case would that be a type of racism?)

When at uni years ago, some non Muslims were also impressed by the "community spirit" of Muslims where there would be warmth between them when they were total strangers socially and even even ethnically.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Asalamu alaykum,

It's along those lines, yes. We always seem to linger on the negative aspects and weaknesses of the Ummah - why not do the opposite? Jazakum Allah khyrn for your input.

Wasalam

When I went to Aleppo a couple of years ago I met a guy in a mosque and he was really amazed, and overjoyed, that there were British converts to Islam. He took my friend and me to dinner and then dropped us back at our hotel. Then, after we'd said 'goodbye' and gone upstairs to our hotel room, he went to the reception and paid our ENTIRE hotel bill!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Asalamu alaykum,

Masha'allah, may Allah swt reward him ameen. Jazakum Allah khyrn for that, it made me smile.

Wasalam

Wow Ya'qub, that is so amazing and just so generous mashallah. It's like something you'd see in a movie or something. Smile

Hhmm... been trying to think of stuff and this is hard! :?

One thing I like, and have noticed since wearing the headscarf is how many random girls on the street will smile and say 'As-salaamu Alaykum' to me. Which is I think nice and quite touching. I never got this before (even though I was still a Muslim), but now it happens a lot, mostly by girls I'll pass on the street, but it has happened a few times with guys too, like when in shops, takeaways, and when getting into a taxi - instead of a 'hi', it's 'as-salaamu alaykum' instead. That universal greeting and the recognition of 'hey, we're the same' is really sweet.

Something a muslim brother I know once did (not mentioning names): he was just going about his day as usual. Walking to the bus stop after work. Nice normal day. A fellow muslim out of the blue just approaches him and begs him for help in getting home. Apparently he lives really far away and was robbed and needs to get a coach or train home.

At first the brother does what everyone else does, simply says no and passes on. Comeon, how many times are we approached by beggers on the street. But then the begger cries "oh for the sake of Allah (swt) please help me". At which point the muslim brother stops and turns around and buys the guy a coach ticket home. Gets him onto a coach and sees him off. At which point the begger asks him "what is your address? I shall repay you once i get home" but the brother replies with "no repayment is necessary, i have helped you for the sake of Allah (swt)." Before turning around and going back to waiting for his bus.

The guy may have been lying theres no real way to know. But simply bcoz the begger was a muslim in hardtimes, the brother helped him out. True story.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
The guy may have been lying theres no real way to know. But simply bcoz the begger was a muslim in hardtimes, the brother helped him out. True story.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Its something I have questioned a few times - should we help people simply because they are Muslims, so should we help all people? the former seems to be ... wrong. somehow.

You wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

Its something I have questioned a few times - should we help people simply because they are Muslims, so should we help all people? the former seems to be ... wrong. somehow.

I think its was more as a result of the guy saying 'for the sake of Allah (swt)' that he helped him. Otherwise he would have just passed him by. In the end you hav no real way of knowing if he's faking or not.

Back in BLACK

we should help everyone. muslims and non muslims. our neighbours have rights.

stupid captcha.

its telling you that its easier to log in.

I agree with You, it can sometimes seem not so right when someone mentions the name of Allah (swt)... a few years ago in our area when loads of kurdish(?) women using to come knocking door to door asking for money, almost every day, they always mentioned Allah (swt) when the person initialy refused. I remember my grandma saying how she found it really hard to refuse when they did this.

Another thing I've just remembered. Recently when we had the first bout of snow my uncle was stranded at heathrow airport over night, unable to get home. He spent the night sleeping on the floor in the cold. Anyway all the vending machines were empty and my uncle really wanted a drink, just a glass of water. It being midnight he asked at the information desk if there was anywhere he could go at all to get a drink, only for the person to be really rude and tell him no. He asked the person if they could possibly please get him a glass of water and again the person said no. A couple of minutes later a Muslim man came up to him with a coffee, he had been in the office at the back and had heard the conversation, made him a coffee and brought it out to him. Mashallah! I don't know if he knew my uncle was a Muslim but I'd like to think that the man would have got him a drink regardless.

Seraphim wrote:
You wrote:
Seraphim wrote:

I think its was more as a result of the guy saying 'for the sake of Allah (swt)' that he helped him. Otherwise he would have just passed him by. In the end you hav no real way of knowing if he's faking or not.

begging is haraam if you are able to work, but it seems in that case the person had a valid reason to ask for help.

But I dislike people using the 'Muslim card' in asking for money.

Some people ask like that in the mosque, which is even more haraam!

Giving for the sake of Allah is one of the best things we can do, but asking using Allah's name puts people in an uncomfortable situation.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

1) My friend NEVER holds grudges (and nor do I)

2) A man handled a tough situation well, calmly without swearing or losing his temper.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi