"Everybody has to choose Islam"

.. Even those that are born Muslim.

Discuss.

One reason why the salaf and other saliheen were so strong and steadfast in their faith - and why they remained Muslim was because they actually found Islam to be the deen al-fitrah - i.e. a NATURAL way. Living Islam everyday became part and parcel of their being - that which they were at ease with, found comfortable and ran towards - like a warm bed on a cold winter night. (Supposedly not being a Muslim would be difficult). Islam (or hidayah/guidance) was not really something they chose, it chose them.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Just to add context, I was watching a youtube video of Abdul Raheem Green (I think it was him) the other day where he was asked about choosing Islam, and he made that point that He may have chosen it, but so does everyone else who is Muslim.

Yes, Islam/guidance may choose us, but at the same time we can ignore it (I think) out of greed, fear or other excuses.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

Yes, Islam/guidance may choose us, but at the same time we can ignore it (I think) out of greed, fear or other excuses.

By choosing to ignore the guidance (or calling, if you like), is going against the natural (fitrah) that we are created and subsequently given by God. Everyone has fitrah inside of them - and the potential to become wonderful human-beings, but secondary matters (such as greed) misdirect and divert us from reality that is in front of us, and then from guidance?

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Even some of the atheists or non-religious people actually start "praying" when they get desperate.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I have heard that, but no idea if its true, or just hearsay.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I've heard it from the horse's mouth.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

An athiest?

Was there some justification given?

Quite a few atheists, they just said that it was a natural gut reaction.

Everyone has to choose Islam.

Is that assuming that we don't have a free will?

no, by "everyone" it means "all Muslims".

ie even those born Muslims will at some point have to have an awakening or say "Yes, I am Muslim, yes I believe".

so..nothing to do with free will?

nope - free will is a different discussion.

This one is over the statement that all born Muslims also have to choose their sides, and to be real muslims, they have to choose to be - that there is no default position of automatically Muslim.

Understood.

Generally, Is it better to awaken the sense that "yes, I am a Muslim" when your young or older? in everyones' opinion? I know it depends on the person and situation.

The Lamp wrote:
Even some of the atheists or non-religious people actually start "praying" when they get desperate.

Yep. I know people who've done that.

Don't just do something! Stand there.