"Mishkat-ul-Anwar" what is it?

I think it is , full title: Mishkat Ul-Anwar Fi Ghurar Il-Akhbar (The Lamp of Nich for the Best Traditions)

It seems a shia book so anyone know of any opinions on it? Should it be "read with care" or not at all?

There are some students of Islam out there that may be able to ask their teachers for their view.

Shaykh advised me not to study book written by ibn Wahhab, let alone Shia - You should concentrate on your own faith/deen first I would have thought, before having the time to study/read books of others. It will confuse you.

I googled the above book, and found the following?:

Hassan ibn Fazl ibn Hassan Tabarsi should not be confused with his noble father al-Fazl ibn al-Hassan Tabarsi, the author of the great commentary on the Quran known as Majma ul-Bayan.
Shaykh Tabarsi was a Shi'ite scholar and theologian of repute of the twelfth century A.D. His father Shaykh Abu Ali Fazl ibn al-Hassan ibn al-Fazl al-Tabarsi was a Shi'ite scholar and theologian of repute. He wrote many valuable works on theology. Majma ul-Bayan is the most important of these all, and it is on this work that his fame rests. The Majma ul-Bayan enjoys wide acceptance.
The fact is that in the beginning his father started writing this book after he finished Makarim ul-Akhlaq in order to complement it. He made a great effort and collected many traditions, but he did not live long enough to finish it. Then a group of interested people asked his son to follow suit and the completion of this work was left for the son to carry out. He called it Mishkat ul-Anwar Fi Ghurar il-Akhbar. Most of the traditions in this book are cited from Al-Mahasin, by Abi Jafar Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Khalid al-Barqi. It seems that the author had an authentic copy of this book which is no longer available in that form today. Other main references are Rauzat al-Vaezeen by Muhammad ibn al-Hassan ibn Ali al-Fatal al-Neyshabori, Uyun Akhbar Al-Reza by Abi Jafar Muhammad ibn Ali ibn al-Hussein ibn Baboyeh al-Qumi, known as Shaykh al-Sadoogh, and Majma ul-Bayan fi Tafsir al-Quran by Abi Ali al-Fazl ibn al-Hassan al-Tabarsi.

wednesday wrote:
Are teher any books/writting that in YOUR opinion is 'safe' to be read?

I love this book (not shia, but I listened to this beautiful recitation today which Im dying to share!):

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Not my view and could be from a :

...We were extremely uneasy about the Islamic scholars. For the scholars of Istanbul and Al-adh-har, the Iraqi and Damascene scholars were insurmountable obstacles in front of our purposes. For they were the kind of people who would never compromise their principles to the tiniest extent because they had turned against the transient pleasures and adornments of the world and fixed their eyes on the Paradise promised by Qur'an al-karim. The people followed them. Even the Sultan was afraid of them. Sunnites were not so strongly adherent to scholars as were Shiites. For Shiites did not read books; they only recognized scholars, and did not show due respect to the Sultan. Sunnites, on the other hand, read books, and respected scholars and the Sultan...

(Most of the linked book is anti salafi as it suggests that the movement was helped into creation via subterfuge and may not be realiable at all, but it is an interesting read. Something to make your own mind up about).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
... Could you possibly elaborate on Dalail ul Khayrat...?

It's a book. Not read it, but I think it means Guide of good deeds (According to Google anyway) and is pretty famous for some reason.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

The Story of Dala’il al-Khayrat
by Sheikh Nuh Ha Mim Keller

Dala’il al-Khayrat, the most celebrated manual of Blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) in history, was composed by the Sufi, wali, Muslim scholar of prophetic descent, and baraka of Marrakesh Muhammad ibn Sulayman al-Jazuli (d. 870/1465). Born and raised among the Gazulah Berbers of the Sus region in southern Morocco, he studied the Qur’an and traditional Islamic knowledge before travelling to Fez, where he memorized the four-volume Mudawwana of Imam Malik and met scholars of his time such as Ahmad Zarruq, and Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullah Amghar, who become his sheikh in the tariqa or Sufi path.

Amghar traced his spiritual lineage through only six masters to the great founder of their order Abul Hasan al-Shadhili and thence back to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace). After initiating Jazuli into the way, he placed him in a khalwa or solitary retreat, where he remained invoking Allah for some fourteen years, and emerged tremendously changed. After a sojourn in the east and performing hajj, Jazuli himself was given permission to guide disciples as a sheikh of the tariqa.

Imam Ahmad al-Sawi relates that one day Jazuli went to perform his ablutions for the prescribed prayer from a nearby well but could not find any means to draw the water up. While thus perplexed, he was seen by a young girl who called out from high above, “You’re the one people praise so much, and you can’t even figure out how to get water out of a well?” So she came down and spat into the water, which welled up until it overflowed and spilled across the ground. Jazuli made his ablutions, and then turned to her and said, “I adjure you to tell me how you reached this rank.” She said, “By saying the Blessings upon him whom beasts lovingly followed as he walked through the wilds (Allah bless him and give him peace).” Jazuli thereupon vowed to compose the book of Blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) which came to be known as his Dala’il al-Khayrat or “Waymarks of Benefits.”

His spiritual path drew thousands of disciples who, aided by the popularity of his manual of Blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), had a tremendous effect on Moroccan society. He taught followers the Blessings upon the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), extinction of self in the love of Allah and His messenger, visiting the awliya or saints, disclaiming any strength or power, and total reliance upon Allah. He was told by the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) in a dream, “I am the splendor of the prophetic messengers, and you are the splendor of the awliya.” Many divine signs were vouchsafed to him, none more wondrous or unmistakable than the reception that met his famous work.

Its celebrity swept the Islamic World from North Africa to Indonesia. Scarcely a well-to-do home was without one, princes exchanged magnificently embellished copies of it, commoners treasured it. Pilgrims wore it at their side on the way to hajj, and a whole industry of hand-copyists sprang up in Mecca and Medina that throve for centuries. Everyone who read it found that baraka descended wherever it was recited, in accordance with the Divine command: “Verily Allah and His angels bless the Prophet: O you who believe, bless him and pray him peace” (Qur’an 33:56).

In the post-caliphal period of the present day, Imam Jazuli’s masterpiece has been eclipsed by the despiritualization of Islam by “reformers” who have affected all but the most traditional of Muslims. As the Moroccan hadith scholar ‘Abdullah al-Talidi wrote of the Dala’il al-Khayrat: “Millions of Muslims from East to West tried it and found its good, its baraka, and its benefit for centuries and over generations, and witnessed its unbelievable spiritual blessings and light. Muslims avidly recited it, alone and in groups, in homes and mosques, utterly spending themselves in the Blessings on the Most Beloved and praising him—until Wahhabi ideas came to spread among them, suborning them and creating confused fears based on the opinions of Ibn Taymiya and the reviver of his path Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhab of Najd. After this, Muslims slackened from reciting the Dala’il al-Khayrat, falling away from the Blessings upon the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) in particular, and from the remembrance of Allah in general” (al-Mutrib fi awliya’ al-Maghrib, 143–44).

Sheikh Nuh Keller