Homeless man gets 15 years for stealing $100

Man who took one bill and handed rest back to bank teller gets 15-year sentence

A man who said he robbed a downtown Shreveport bank because he was out of a job and hungry has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for first-degree robbery.

Roy Brown, 54, of Audrey Lane, pleaded guilty in Caddo District Court to robbing the Capital One bank in December 2007.

Brown admitted walking up to a teller with one of his hands under his jacket and telling her it was a "stickup." The teller handed the man three stacks of bills and he took a single $100 bill, told her he was homeless and left, police said.

Brown surrendered to police the next day, telling them his mother didn't raise him that way.

Police let him sober up and interviewed him two days later. Police said Brown told them he needed money to stay in a downtown detox center, had nowhere to stay and was hungry -- so he walked up the street and robbed the bank.

Source:

This is just crazy.

I thought 'aawww bless' when reading he only took one bill and gave the rest back Smile and he turned himself in.

It seems like just a silly spur of the moment thing (with the possibility he wasn't 'sober'), no one got hurt so why the extreme sentencing. Stuff like this is just crazy.

(It has just reminded me of the film The Three Fugitives, watched it a few times when younger and my mum always really liked it too.)

this is mad
the guy was homeless
and it was only £100
15 years is over the top considering sentences for some other more extreme crimes

At least he'll have a roof over his head and food and stuff, all free of charge!

Seriously though, I have a feeling that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

There is more than meets the eye, it is NOT TRUE, it is one of those stories getting repeated all over the internet, but no actual origional story.

now do you know it is not true?? Just curious as I was trying to find out the same thing myself. It is not on Snopes and I cannot find any thing that says it is not true.

You don't need to find a source to say it's not true. What you need is multiple academic reliable sources to confirm the story. Without those, you must assume it's unlikely to be true. You would have no evidence to confirm it. Those don't exist on this story. I just spent 30 minutes researching this story... it's not credible by my judgement. The original story on Roy Brown was simply two or three paragraphs that were posted on an affiliate ABC website by a single reporter. To this point, there is no academic source that can verify the story or the existence of Roy brown. Every story besides the original post is simply someone blogging in response to it. Short of verifying with Caddo District Court to see if they have records on file, there is almost no evidence to confirm this story based on what I have seen.

if the story is of so much concern for you, verify it with them.

for everyone else, this is a dead topic.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Correct. Stories can be made up by anyone and often are. Therefore the burden of proof needs to be on the story teller. i.e. prove its true before repeating it. Not force other to prove it is not true. The lack of any real news coverage, TV or news paper, the fact that it is not repeated on any credible news internet site, all points to this story being very likly untrue. If a story this extreme were true, you would expect to find it all over the web on credible sources. QED.

If hou care so much, check with the actual law enforcement authorities instead of simply guessing at its validity.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.