No rest for the Wicked

Somebody said something the other day, that had me wondering.

"Why do bad things happen to good people?"

And i came up with "coz its better if God punishes you for watever youve done here than punishing you in the hereafter"

Whilst those whom he really hates are gonna slide for now and then later when he's gettm in hell, he's really gonna lettem have it.

Thoughts?

Does there need to be a reason? A purpose of action? Does every little thing have meaning or can it not just be a random happening?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Does there need to be a reason? A purpose of action? Does every little thing have meaning or can it not just be a random happening?

I dont believe in random.
Always a reason, always part of a bigger picture. We just cant see it all the time.

Back in BLACK

why?

Why does there have to be a reason?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Why do bad things happen to good people"?

Because life is a test.
And with each situation good or bad, Big or small, were presented with a test of faith.
Without them life would have no challenges and people wouldn't have a means to achieve higher and attain more (spiritually etc)
And the same goes for the even more frequently asked question "why do good things happen to bad people"
To test their character and see if they continue the cycle of hatred etc.

Organic

Urban.rust wrote:
"Why do bad things happen to good people"?

Because life is a test.
And with each situation good or bad, Big or small, were presented with a test of faith.
Without them life would have no challenges and people wouldn't have a means to achieve higher and attain more (spiritually etc)
And the same goes for the even more frequently asked question "why do good things happen to bad people"
To test their character and see if they continue the cycle of hatred etc.

I hate it when people say lifes a test.

Thats a terrible excuse... :roll:

IMO: lifes not a test.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:

Expand?

I'm pretty sure there are many clear ayats of the Qur'an than state explicitly that God created life and death to test people to see who is the best of character.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

It also says that there will be good after every bad and that no soul shall have to carry more than it can.

Unfortunately that also means that the stronger will have more hardship to go through. Or is it the hardship that makes them strong?

If life holds no tests, and is not a test, then what do you suppose is our purpose?
A lame excuse you might think, but is it not a well established fact that life is a test of faith, if not then you leave yourself in a sorry situation -

And if you will, explain to me why life isn't a test.

(It isn't a matter of opinion, its fact)

Organic

Unfortunately that also means that the stronger will have more hardship to go through. Or is it the hardship that makes them strong?

Hardship is only relevant to the person suffering.
What might appear as something trivial to an onlooker, for the person in the situation it might be something much greater.

Organic

So... it's all relative?

If life holds no tests, and is not a test, then what do you suppose is our purpose?

To know/recognise God?

Exactly. To know and recognise God through trials and tests that will strengthen our faith.

Organic

Argh, we're going off topic... as usual.

And no that is NOT a fact. Thats your interpretation (or someones interpretation that you've accepted as your own).

IMO lifes a journey not a test.

If it was a test, then everyone would sit the same exam. And as You pointed out no soul shall have more to carry than it can. And obviously some are more stronger than others. So how is it a fair test if everyone sits the same exam?

Everyone gets cr@p in their life, but what might be major cr@p to you might not be so bad to me.

The purpose is the destination... ofcourse the destination is also dependant on your journey.

Back in BLACK

and its a journey where you are encouraged to avoid a shortcut called "high rise building".

Does it do any good to look at the bigger picture?

Is not simply being a cog good enough some times?

You wrote:

Does it do any good to look at the bigger picture?

Is not simply being a cog good enough some times?

Depends on the person.

If you can see the bigger picture then yes. Then you can understand the what and the why.
And with understanding comes acceptance.
And it makes things easier to live with i guess.

Back in BLACK

Whenever I see a bigger picture, I want more.

Not being aware of it means that I can be happy with me not having it.

You wrote:
Whenever I see a bigger picture, I want more.

Not being aware of it means that I can be happy with me not having it.

So what you're basically saying is "ignorance is bliss?"

Back in BLACK

yes.

Or that I do not like to see the shackles that bind me. Is it wrong to want to think that my fishbowl is the entire ocean? If I do see the ocean, is the fishbowl worthless then?

If it was a test, then everyone would sit the same exam. And as You pointed out no soul shall have more to carry than it can. And obviously some are more stronger than others. So how is it a fair test if everyone sits the same exam?

Everyone gets cr@p in their life, but what might be major cr@p to you might not be so bad to me.

The purpose is the destination... ofcourse the destination is also dependant on your journey.

Mmm, and its the trials that you face in life that determine the course of that journey.

And as you have pointed out very clearly, as every hardship is relevant to the person, it stands to reason that not everyone will sit the same trial, instead because our interpretations of a certain matter varies from person to person the trial will appear different and be different.
And what if the foundations of that test are the same for each person? How is that unfair or unjust?
A person who looses a child will not face the same trial as someone who looses a limb - the foundation is the same (they have both lost something) But the exam/trial is completely different.

A journey has no benefits if you have no trials along the way, you might as well shut your eyes and live life like that for all the benefits doing nothing will achieve.

Organic

You wrote:
yes.

Or that I do not like to see the shackles that bind me. Is it wrong to want to think that my fishbowl is the entire ocean? If I do see the ocean, is the fishbowl worthless then?

Which goes to prove that reality is almost always wrong.

Back in BLACK

reality is whatever you make it.

Urban.rust wrote:

Mmm, and its the trials that you face in life that determine the course of that journey.

And as you have pointed out very clearly, as every hardship is relevant to the person, it stands to reason that not everyone will sit the same trial, instead because our interpretations of a certain matter varies from person to person the trial will appear different and be different.
And what if the foundations of that test are the same for each person? How is that unfair or unjust?
A person who looses a child will not face the same trial as someone who looses a limb - the foundation is the same (they have both lost something) But the exam/trial is completely different.

A journey has no benefits if you have no trials along the way, you might as well shut your eyes and live life like that for all the benefits doing nothing will achieve.

Thank you for telling us that Captain Obvious. I said life was a journey, not a pass time. Ofcourse theres gonna be ups and downs.

Thats like saying everyone will essentially live the same life, only it will be a different version. It doesnt happen. Similar perhaps, but never the same.

Oh and FYI id rather loose a limb than loose a child. Its no where near the same principle... not even in the same ball park.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim][quote=Urban.rust wrote:
Oh and FYI id rather loose a limb than loose a child. Its no where near the same principle... not even in the same ball park.

Why?

Seraphim wrote:

Surah al-Mulk:

1. Blessed is He in whose hand is dominion, and He is over all things competent -

2. Who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed - and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving.

Where's the confusion?

I think it was Ronan Keating who said 'life is a rollercoaster'. Do you trust him over God?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

No need to be so touchy, Captain Obvious was only giving an opinion were an opinion was asked for.

And to point it out to you, I didn't say that loosing a limb and loosing a child were any where near the same thing, if you had chosen to actually read what I had said with an open mind you would know that. Obviously you have misunderstood what I've said on the subject completely, for whatever reason.

Never mind, each to his own eh.

May.

Organic

Seraphim wrote:
Urban.rust wrote:

Thank you for telling us that Captain Obvious. I said life was a journey, not a pass time. Ofcourse theres gonna be ups and downs.

Thats like saying everyone will essentially live the same life, only it will be a different version. It doesnt happen. Similar perhaps, but never the same.

Life a journey with ups and downs, when you go through rough patches, don't you LEARN stuff? Isn't that what makes it a test? You learn stuff by being tested? Plus as Yaqub points out it clearly says in Sura Mulk that life is a test. We can either cry and rant (and run out of time with a fail) or we can do our best to pass it by living good lives to please Allah (swt).
For some the test will be longer, for some it will be different, but the point still stands, it IS a test.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I believer that life IS a test. Different people have different tests in there life. Its this simple understanding which can actually sometime be of great benefit in getting through/dealing with the testa and avoids unnecessary mind boggling thoughts about life to which we may never find answers.

Isnt it true that Allah tests those he loves the most??..

He certainly tested the Prophets the most, which is why I get annoyed when some people say that if you're going through bad times, Allah is punishing you for your sins. Not everything is that narrow.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Well im certainly no expert and have very little knowledge but have heard/seen that some hardship we do earn with our own hands...but this may not be the case with everyone/every trial/test.