Some ethnic groups will disappear

One in 10 children in the UK now lives in a mixed-race family, a major study reveals today, raising future hopes of a non-racist Britain.

Mixed-race relationships are now so common that some ethnic groups - starting with African-Caribbean - will virtually disappear, the research states. Young people are six times more likely to be mixed-race as adults. Experts believe the findings, which come just days after Prince Harry was rebuked for calling a fellow cadet "Paki", and Prince Charles admitted to referring to an Asian friend as "Sooty", mean that future generations "will not see race in the way we see it".

Lucinda Platt, author of the report and an academic at the Institute of Social and Economic Research at Essex University, describes the shift towards a mixed-race Britain as "dramatic".

Half of all men in Britain who have Caribbean heritage and are in a relationship already have partners of a different race. The same is true of one in five black African men, one in 10 Indian men and women and two out of five Chinese women. One in five children belongs to an ethnic minority - a far higher proportion than among the adult population.

This week, a decade on from the Macpherson report into the murder of the black teenager Stephen Lawrence, Trevor Phillips, chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, will "celebrate" the study's findings, but warn that there is still much to be fought for.

A spokeswoman for the commission warned against complacency. "We need to be alert to tensions within communities that may be exacerbated by economic downturn and to remain vigilant against discrimination and divisiveness - particularly across boundaries of faith."

Today's study, commissioned by the EHRC and seen exclusively by the Observer, shows that 9% of children are of "mixed or multiple heritage" - that is, they live with parents from different ethnic groups, or they are themselves of mixed ethnicity. Over the past 14 years the number of children of Caribbean heritage with one white parent has risen from 39% to 49%. Among the Indian population it has increased from 3% to 11%, for Pakistanis from 1% to 4%, and for Chinese from 15% to 35%.

Minorities also tend to be younger. While half of the white British population in Britain is aged over 40, half of the Bangladeshi community is under 21.

Mixed race is the way of the future!

Or, has my friend once said: "Lets all **** until we are all the same colour."

Don't just do something! Stand there.

lol.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

What do people feel about the idea that some ethnic groups will virtually disappear?

Is that a good/bad thing?

On the article theres a bit about how "there is still much to be fought for".

What do you think about this phrase? Do you think people will fight to save some cultures/ethnicity?

SBF wrote:
What do people feel about the idea that some ethnic groups will virtually disappear?

Is that a good/bad thing?

On the article theres a bit about how "there is still much to be fought for".

What do you think about this phrase? Do you think people will fight to save some cultures/ethnicity?

Since that quote was from Trevor Phillips, I think he was referring to 'fighting for less racism is society'.

Maybe choosing a marriage partner on a basis other than race is a good start!

And I think that the Pakistani community is amongst the worst in this respect. I have lots of black friends and, although in the mosque the uncles are all smiling and friendly and full of "mash'Allahs" etc, they would change very quickly if they were ever asked 'can I marry your daughter?'.

i really like mix race, all those mixtures, its soo beatiful!

but i dont understand how ethnic groups might disapear? :S

New mixtures will be formed. such is the way of the world.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

What is a "pure blood"?

There is already no such thing. there has been migration of people for millennia - the current rate is just faster - just like a plane is faster then a camel or a horse.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
Pure bloods ie the original pure breeds and no mix race?

You're getting that from twilight or other vampire legend, no?

I doubt humanity has ever been "pure blood" when it comes to tribes/races. Civilisation all started off at the same place.

close enough Smile

Lol
Nice to see y'all making a serious discussion of this.

I don't think everyone would ever be the same colour, there are different combinations of tone and all that. But it would show tolerance and integration between two races.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

The Lamp wrote:
I don't think everyone would ever be the same colour, there are different combinations of tone and all that. But it would show tolerance and integration between two races.

I doubt it.

The assumption being made is that the colour rules over all prejudice. That is simply not true.

Ya'qub wrote:

thats a crude tasteless joke to put on a islamic forum, and your a crude tasteless person

unless your like 16 , then nevermind :roll:

Unity of muslims
Power to Hamas
Free palestine
Peace in Gaza

Yeah! Everyone gonna be brown!

Which means, the KKK will have to let us in then! Lol

Back in BLACK

hoodies.

Ku Klux Klan.

KKK

A group of White supremacists in the US.

Not seen it, but the KKK were supposedly a nasty work in the US.

valorous_warrior wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

thats a crude tasteless joke to put on a islamic forum, and your a crude tasteless person

Biggrin

good to know Wink

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Nah, Ya'qub tastes great with chips.

(wrong place for that joke though.)

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Seraphim wrote:
Yeah! Everyone gonna be brown!

Which means, the KKK will have to let us in then! Lol

Lol

SMILE! its charity Wink

valorous_warrior wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

Come on, it wasn't that bad!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Ridiculous.

Are we maybe forgetting about all the ethnic groups within their own country.
As an African (mixed race person) I can safely say that Ethnic groups are not being diluted.

People are culture proud, it wouldn't happen Wink

Organic

valorous_warrior wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

I'm sorry, I should've said:

"Let's all **** until we get a sense of humour/get over ourselves."

but even there, it will not happen.

Circumstances of people change.