If you think things are bad for Muslims in the UK...

Muslims to apologise for prayers held in front of Milan cathedral

Leaders of Milan's Muslims are to meet the city's Roman Catholic archbishop to apologise for an impromptu prayer service they held in front of the cathedral, a statement from the archbishopric said.

Images of hundreds of Muslims bowing to Mecca in front of one of the pre-eminent symbols of Christianity in Italy prompted outrage among some, particularly rightwing, Italians. Defence minister Ignazio La Russa proposed that prime minister Silvio Berlusconi's coalition should "reply" with a mass on Sunday on the same spot.

The latest controversy began with a demonstration on Saturday against the Israeli offensive in Gaza. After departing from the agreed route, protesters arrived, at their hour of prayer, in front of one of Europe's most imposing Gothic cathedrals.

They didn't pray INSIDE the Cathedral as far as we know, whereas the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) allowed some Christian missionaries to offer a service inside HIS mosque, can you believe that?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

The UK would be almost perfect if it was located in slightly warmer climes. (only slightly though - I sometimes find the summer heat here unbearable too!)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

What the hell are the muslims playing at?? apologizing??

I think this should serve as a good reminder of traditional liberal values (tolerance, equal rights etc) have made the UK a relatively good and safe place for minorities. Something that we perhaps overlook amongst all the comlaining that we do, perhaps something we should be more appreciative of. (not detracting from the fact that of course, we do have problems!) I was reading an article on the politics in France in the Economist over the weekend, which described there being only ONE black parliamentarian :s :shock: France, remember, has the LARGEST muslim population in Europe.

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

And in France, wearing the hijab in schools is banned because it's seen as a threat to secularisation. Why pretend that we're all the same? Why not be more tolerant and be prapared to learn from each other? How can secularisation mean being anti-religious, rather than not basing your public opinions purely on religion?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Hmmm... One of the holiest sites in Catholicism.

How many prayers have been held outside the Masjid al-Haram or Masjid al-Nabawi?

And I'm NOT talking about the time of the Prophet (saw). I mean with 'modern' day Muslim leaders.

Oh, wait, on the way to Makkah or Madina there is a fat sign that says 'No non-Muslims Past This Point'.

Are Italian Muslims responsible for that? Of course not, but think at it from the Catholics' point of view for a second.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

The modern day Muslim leaders are vile and cruel dictators, does that justify Islamophobia here? Of course not, sometimes you have to rise above and not imitate people you don't agree with.

Ya'qub wrote:

Are Italian Muslims responsible for that? Of course not, but think at it from the Catholics' point of view for a second.

For me it's not an issue of creed. It's a social issue. People aren't comfortable with 'persons of a different religeous persusasion' coming down to your spiritual sanctuary and flagrantly displaying their religeon IF it's not been OK-ed before hand. It's just a sensetivity issue. Show respect for those Italian people, it was something that pushed them out of their comfort zone and that made them feel violated.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes