Your/You're

Come on people, get it right.

I don't like being pedantic, but this is atrocious.

your = belonging to you.
you're = a shortened version of "you are".

I love this subject! Im constantly correcting others!

Behold...Me!

Thank you

it really isnt difficult...

I've now got a job correcting others on stuff like this!

Absolute heaven on earth... because I most certainly am a pedant.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Heres another one that bothers me:

when writing letters..

if addressing the person by name i.e. Dear Mr. Smith, end with yours SINCERELY,

if you do not know the name of the recipient i.e. Dear Sir/Madam, end with yours FAITHFULLY

So:
Dear name of person = yours sincerely
Sir/Madam = yours faithfully

I work in the legal field, and am AMAZED at the poor spelling and grammar used by other professionals :doubt: Im the first to admit that my English skills need improvment, but considering legal writing is a large part of what they're doing as a living, it takes the biscuit!

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

...And how about when people right "If I'd known, I would of done it differently," or "I could of been famous" or whatever.

Its "would have done it differently,"

"Could have been famous"

Its because when you talk you shorten it to "would've" or "could've", and you don't notice the pronunciation. But when you write it you still have to use the correct word!

Especially GCSE and A-Level students, take heed of this valuable information!

Salam

Master, Isn't you wonderful.

Omrow

Salam

You. Youre brilliant for your our you topic.

I want to thank you you for your yourness.

Its ingenious of you you.

Your youness make me think youre the real you.

I agree when you said that in all your sayings you should get
your yous and your youres right. You were making your youres ours yours.

You. You are our you.

Omrow

Amal wrote:
Heres another one that bothers me:

when writing letters..

if addressing the person by name i.e. Dear Mr. Smith, end with yours SINCERELY,

if you do not know the name of the recipient i.e. Dear Sir/Madam, end with yours FAITHFULLY

So:
Dear name of person = yours sincerely
Sir/Madam = yours faithfully

I work in the legal field, and am AMAZED at the poor spelling and grammar used by other professionals :doubt: Im the first to admit that my English skills need improvment, but considering legal writing is a large part of what they're doing as a living, it takes the biscuit!

Time was you could get points for that sort of post.

Still, thank you because you're spot on. I hadn't been aware of the formality and I made use of it today.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

I am sure people took it aboard... I did, however I tend to more or less make whatever ending up. Yours {whatever}ly.

Then there is the question of formal emails...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

Don't think anyone has invented the rules for this yet.

I don't like writing Dear or yours,i just want to get to the point but people don't like that. i don't like it when people even teachers constantly say 'I learned her'. I feel really bad correcting them so i've stopped doing it, except my husband, I correct him all the time. I wonder if i'll go to hell for that - those woomen with humps on their head and whips?

laila wrote:
I don't like writing Dear or yours,i just want to get to the point but people don't like that. i don't like it when people even teachers constantly say 'I learned her'. I feel really bad correcting them so i've stopped doing it, except my husband, I correct him all the time. I wonder if i'll go to hell for that - those woomen with humps on their head and whips?

What context is the "I learnt her" I don't know when anyone would say that.
I doubt corrrecting your husband's English will get you into Hell, but it's best not to overdo it with anyone.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Ya'qub wrote:
You wrote:

Don't think anyone has invented the rules for this yet.

Neither do I, but from what ive noticed, the usual netiquette is to say: kind/best regards, regards or sincerely/most sincerely.. As long as no-one uses "yours truly" :doubt:

Some others that come to mind on the subject of letters:

cc = carbon copy (when you send a copy of the letter to someone else)
enc. or encs. = enclosure (when you include other document(s) with your letter)
ref. or re. = reference (reference referred to in the letter)
pp or per pro. = per procuration(em) (when permissibly signing on behalf of someone else)
ps = post script (when you want to add something at the end of a letter once you've completed and ended it)

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

laila wrote:
I wonder if i'll go to hell for that - those woomen with humps on their head and whips?

Ive always wondered what that hadith meant lol Is the hump referring to the hair, or just metaphoric for something else? :? ? Fool

Amal wrote:
laila wrote:
I wonder if i'll go to hell for that - those woomen with humps on their head and whips?

Ive always wondered what that hadith meant lol Is the hump referring to the hair, or just metaphoric for something else? :? ? Fool

horns probably

Back in BLACK

ive thought that meant the hair bun is so high above the head that it resembles a camels hump.

Behold...Me!

Sumaiya wrote:
ive thought that meant the hair bun is so high above the head that it resembles a camels hump.

no no... im pretty sure they're supposed to be she-devils.

Back in BLACK

can devils not be shes anyways?

Behold...Me!

Honestly, I am not an old member under the guise of a new member!

Salam

I think he is putting on weight.

Perhaps he wants to be known as a "Big Boss", in every way.

Omrow

No, You is You.

I am YouShutup. His evil twin brother.

It really depends on which one of our imaginations you mean.