Islam and biological evolution

A while ago I started up a topic on Islam and evolution asking whether the two were compatible. I can't find that thread now so am starting a new one.

This debate between Inayat Bunglawala and Harun Yahya on the validity of the theory of evolution shows that there is a place for evolution within Islamic discourse.

Inayat Bunglawala's argument is that taking the theory of evolution seriously is not incompatible with belief in Islam. It also shows that we should be careful not to take our intellectual cues from Christian fundamentalists in the US.

This is Inayat's opening statement:

Your many professionally produced books, CDs and DVDs seeking to expose the alleged fallacy of the theory of evolution have been widely distributed and translated into numerous languages and have brought you a large readership and following amongst Muslims in recent years. In Islamic bookstores throughout Europe and the US it is your striking and colourful works that stand out most clearly.

In common, I suppose, with many believers in God, I had always been uncomfortable about the implications of Darwin's theory and as it happens your book, The Evolution Deceit, which I first read in the late 1990s, played perfectly to my prejudices. The book contained many seemingly authoritative quotations from respected scientists expressing their incredulity at Darwin's theory and pointing out its weaknesses.

It was only when I began reading the works of those very same scientists, including Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould, Niles Eldredge, Colin Patterson etc first hand that I realised just how selective and misleading the quotations in your books were. Biological evolution was an established fact. The "theory" part referred to the mechanism by which evolution had occurred and far from being on the verge of collapse, it was in vibrant health and had been shown in test after test to have immense explanatory power.

Evolutionary theory helps shed light on a multitude of scientific questions including providing a compelling explanation for why a dispassionate study of the fossil record shows the gradual and sequential appearance on earth of single-celled organisms, then fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals, and also why humans – as well as other animals – have numerous suboptimal characteristics. What mechanism do you propose better explains these phenomena?

Human beings are instructed in the Qur'an by God to undertake a study of the creation of the heavens and the earth. Our enemy is surely not evolution, but ignorance.

Salaams,

Inayat

Salam

Evolution?

Muslims do not believe in monkey stories.

Omrow

love to live but living to die wrote:
One question: if humans evolved from Apes...

They didn't, so the question is pointless.

erm... that is teh same book that the link ion the original post refutes.

About Adam and Eve:

Taking the theory of evolution seriously in relation to animals and the earth doesn't mean that you disregard the fact that Adam and Eve were the first humans.

Everything else evolved but Adam and Eve were the first humans.

Why do people feel that they can comment in such a way on a very complicated topic which they know so little about.

'evolution is CLEARLY a load of rubbish' (or words to that effect).

You only ever see people being zealous about things they are not sure about.

Noone is zealous about Pythagoras' theorem.

Just say Allahu Alim.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Not even people who don't believe in Adam and Eve suggest that apes suddenly started having human babies and that's how humans came about. That is a crude caricature.

Adapting to your surroundings is different from changing your limbs or whatever.
If we have evolved then why were Austropithicus, Homo erectus and homo sapiens around at the same time? Doesn't it take millions of years?

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.