The Years Of Dossing

Salaam

Teenage years and the 20’s are usually the years of dossing.

Dossing means wasting time/chilling/having a laugh (I don’t know if people from up north use this term).

I used to doss a LOT when was college…we had so much free time then. And my school was so strict that they didn’t let you off the premises even if you had most of your lessons free…so me and the girls would spend all our time in the common room and just talk for hours and hours…we’d talk about every subject under the sun….we’d talk about serious issues and stupid issues…and we’d do each other’s
hair/nails/listen to music and read magazines…SO much time was wasted this way.

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) has told us to take appreciate five things before they go, one of which is youth before old age….

One is physically and mentally the most active when they are young. Youth possess phenomenal amount of energy some more then others. I possess OTT mental energy and physical energy….on some days I can easily be out and about doing stuff all day long and awake writing stuff all night long….

And it is during THIS time that if this energy is channeled in the correct way it can guarantee us a place in Paradise. It is during this stage in life that we can greatly benefit society around us…...

Unfortunately instead of using our time and energy in a beneficial manner…years and years are spent dossing…doing nothing beneficial or useful. Sometimes this may be because there aren’t that many outlets to channel our energy…sometimes it may be because family holds us back….but in most cases its because youngsters are SO lazy and couldn’t careless about anything.

Mohammad Bin Qasim from Basra (Iraq) who marched into Pakistan by way of Persia and Balochistan with an army of 60,000 men was only 19 at the time!!

But instead of aspiring to follow in the footsteps of great personalities such as Muhammad Bin Qasim many of us believe in breaking all the laws ordained by Allah (swt) and then later calming down and getting serious about religion and living their lives as good Muslims….just like many of our elders did.

Do we utilise our time effectively?

My 16/17 year old brother is the worlds biggest dosser...he never does anything useful-ever...

So what exactly is my question? There are no questions today. The above is just a bit of food for thought.

Wasalaam

all teenagers are dossers

me being the biggest dosser :oops:

i can easily spend the whole day in front of the telly-or playing stupid games with my lil sis

Yeah I blame society and new technology, they put so much age restriction on us, it the way it going to be. They should simply let people excel when they ready. Plus with new technology, you can sit and do nothing and still be entertained. It look like they are trying to dumb down society, you only have to watch what on TV to see that. I do also get extremely lazy for no apparent reason.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:
I do also get extremely lazy for no apparent reason.

thats cos u were born lazy

i used to call u "lazy boy" for a reason :roll:

I wouldn't say that, like yesterday, I didn't do nothing til 5 o clock, just laze around the house and then in 4 hours I was on the go non stop. I think in life you need a mission to get you up and about and I don't think I got that yet

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:
I wouldn't say that, like yesterday, I didn't do nothing til 5 o clock, just laze around the house and then in 4 hours I was on the go non stop. I think in life you need a mission to get you up and about and I don't think I got that yet

u mean u need things to do

yesterday i was home alone ALL day long

mumwas out/sis was out...bro started school

the only "useful" thing i did yesterday was pick uplil sis from school and make the salad for dinner

i also have nothing to do with my time

Asalamualaikum!

Even though i go 2 wrk i still think i waste time :oops:

The only useful time is wen i read fajr in the morning, read the holy qur'an n go 2 wrk but after dat its just a waste of time, dnt no wat 2 do.

Cum bk 4rm wrk n the only thing i seem doin is watchin tv Lol ..well n the rest of my prayers but i still cant pass the time.

"Duniya toh badalti rehti hai...Ey mere Quaid tuh kabhi Na badal janaa"

"yashmaki" wrote:
wow you sound more bored than me. Don't you go college or uni muslimsislilsis?

uni will start in two weeks

and even then I'll have spare time cos I wont need to go in every day

i have to much time on my hands

Free time is a great blessing. I would strongly advise those people, especially the women who remain mostly at home, that they SERIOUSLY consider starting hifz of Quran.

It is not necessary to complete hifz in the normal 3/4 years, if you make a plan to learn say 5 para a year then in 6 years one can easily and without much difficulty become hafiza. This is a thing to be seroiusly considered.

5 para a year. Say you have Ramadan off for revision and another month off for revision of what you learnt so far that leaves 10 months to do 5 para. Which means if for 10 months you learn only half a page a day and use your 2 months for revision of those 5 para then you will easily learn 5 para a year and plus will have spent 2 months doing dawr so your memorisation will be pakka inshaALLAH.

I recommend the people with free time seriously consider this as an option. It is never to late to start hifz so why not start now? Even just doing 3 para a yr in 10 yrs can become hafiz.

ALLAH has made the Quran easy for remembrance.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

and I recommend ALL women to leave their homes and do something useful like find a job (including myself)

the devil makes work for idle hands

angel and Mujahidah and Afro-you girls are all working girls who keep themselves busy

you are my role models

Dirol

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
and I recommend ALL women to leave their homes and do something useful like find a job (including myself)

the devil makes work for idle hands

angel and Mujahidah and Afro-you girls are all working girls who keep themselves busy

you are my role models

Dirol

lol, i hate workin dont really have to but havin extra money helps. To tell you the truth if i wasnt at wrk i would probs be at my cuz's house or sittin on revival...but uni is gona start in a weeks time and then i'll truly know the meanin of being busy!!

lilsis have you got your uni timetable?

this topic has jus reminded me that i need 2 look 4 a job!!!!

"angel" wrote:

lilsis have you got your uni timetable?

I'll get it next week

but i heard that a person has plenty of free time in Uni

it aint full on like A levels

"irfghan" wrote:
Depends what course you do.

buisness and law

after the first week-I'm gonna choose one and drop the other

I'll either do buisness degree or law degree

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:

buisness and law

Very little free time with that.

My second year at History was 4 lectures a week. Now that's free time!

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:

buisness and law

After the first Week

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:

After the first Week

Feel free to complete your sentence after you've had your nap-

(ssshhhhhh everyone grandpa yuit has just nodded off)

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"yuit" wrote:

After the first Week

lol like irf said it depends on the course your doin, in my first and second yr i used to get every other monday off, so it wasnt really free time!

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"yuit" wrote:

After the first Week

They let you drop it after the first week, I didn't know uni let you do that, most do a year at least, what Uni are u going to anyway?

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:

They let you drop it after the first week, I didn't know uni let you do that, most do a year at least, what Uni are u going to anyway?

a Uni in London obvioulsy :roll:

u can change ur mind after the first two weeks i heard

however they let my sister changed her degree after the first semester :shock:

i bet its a crap Uni

aint looking forward to it all Cray 2

"yashmaki" wrote:
Muslimsislilsis you'll have a lot and i mean a lot of free time. So think about how you're gona fill it soon as you receive your timetable. I'm sure your sis can help with ideas.

I've had free time on my hands ever since I did my last exam in June this year

whenever mum suggests learning how to "cook or sew" i aint intrested :roll:

and whenevr sis suggests that I come with her to a religious meeting/programme/circle etc i aint intrested either

i know if anyone is responsible for me being lazy and not doing anything useful with my time its me

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"yuit" wrote:

a Uni in London obvioulsy :roll:

u can change ur mind after the first two weeks i heard

however they let my sister changed her degree after the first semester :shock:

i bet its a crap Uni

aint looking forward to it all Cray 2

Obviously I know it in London, are you trying to illustrate the clever part of your description now :roll:

Anyway, my Uni (luton) was Crap one of the worse in England, but that meant I could get away with alot and they didn't care, as long as I came back the next year with my Tution fee. So it definitely has it benefits.

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:

Anyway, my Uni (luton) was Crap one of the worse in England, but that meant I could get away with alot and they didn't care, as long as I came back the next year with my Tution fee. So it definitely has it benefits.

yeh but they robbed u and prolonged ur graduation-that aint beneficial

my sisters uni is doing that to her at the mo

thats why i know its a crappy Uni

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"yuit" wrote:

yeh but they robbed u and prolonged ur graduation-that aint beneficial

my sisters uni is doing that to her at the mo

thats why i know its a crappy Uni

Not really, as the tution fee were paid for by the Government, and you can work part time and not get tax and I didn't really care about graduation, I didn't even go to mine and didn't even know when it happened.

[url=http//

but its diff for us

dad pays most of our fee's

which is a LOT of money-

anyway-like i said aint looking forward to crappy Uni

I hate uni, i would gladly sit at home! I only ever went in2 uni for my lectures and then came straight home or visit my mates in town (which was very rare)...

Inshallah this will be my last yr and i will be out of hell!!

"yashmaki" wrote:
Depends how you spend it, it's all about you girl! But it's not all that. Those who rave about uni always go on about the social activities mainly clubbing, dating and drinking. Seminars who turns up for them? If you're not into those types of social activities uni can be a lonely place. I hated it after a year. Decided to pack up go live back home with my parents..i got homesick despite visiting every weekend lool. The atmosphere stunk. So i commuted till the end of my studies home sweet home.

My house mates were strangers and even though i was good to them they never really accepted me coz i didn't go clubbing etc with them. I was the black sheep. Ironic really coz i wasn't even practising back then! Enuff of my sad life lol

These days unis are full of islamic societies. Stay clear of the dodgy ones. But alhamdulilah they do a lot of good activities. Gatherings, halaqahs, residential trips for sisters only etc free food...that normally gets in the crowds. Check them out.

THATS why i aint looking forward to it

i have no intentions of getting up to the dodgy activities-so i know I'm gonna be lonely

i plan to come straight home after every lecture and ONLY attend lectures if i really have to

i will check out the uni islamic society-but from what I heard its kinda lame and dry

a typical male dominated one :roll:

Pages