Halal Food

Salaam

There seems to be a lack of info and understanding on halaal food.

With packaged food, it is hard, as we have to read the ingredients, and then check if e452348967322 is a haraam additive or not.

However even with normal food there are sometimes complications.

[b]The basic guidelines:[/b]

Anything that is grown is halaal by default. This includes all veg, fruit etc. However the manipulation of the good could tender it haraam. eg, graoes turned into wine.

The meat of any herbivorous animal is halaal as long as it is slaughtered in the correct way with the name of Allah taken at the time of slaughter. If there is no 'halal' meat available, then kosher meat (as long as the animal is a herbivore) is also acceptable as it is slaughtered in the same way.

Any animal that cannot survive outside water is halaal for hanafi's. Any animal that resides in water is halaal for shafi's

[b]exceptions, complications, etc.[/b]

The exception in all this is the horse. While it does meet the besic requirements for consumption, it is not allowed. Its status has been elevated, and has much better uses.

European chocolate is haraam. Uk chocolate is halaal, so as a basic check where the food was manufactured.

Pig is haraam not bacause of the scientific blah blah you are given, but because it is not a herbivore (and I think it is explicitly stated in the Qur'an that it is haraam.). It is an omnivore. Most people seem to overlook this always jump straight into the scientific babble.

Any animal fed animal extracts or haraam substances is not halaal for consumption. Alot of prime beef is from cows fed alcohol to soften the meat. Some animals etc are also fed meat extracts to speed up the growth.

Medieval; why is duck haraam? I would have assumed it was halaal.

falavoured crisps.....are they haraam?

ive always thought they were, never ate em

but i get told by every1 that u can eat chicken falavoured crisps :?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Some people (Islamophobes no doubt) are calling for stunning to take place before halaal slaughter.

Would stunning affect the halaal status of meat?

It depends on HOW they are flavoured, not WHAT they are flavoured.

If the additive is haraam, they are haraam.

Generally I think to get a meaty taste, they use quorn(?)

Just elaborating on that bit about chocolates (as it is a strange situation)

Chocolatehistorically has some meat extracts. However, in the UK, they have been replaced by veg extracts.

Most european countries do not recognise Uk chocolate as chocolate!

(Apart from the fact Nestle bought rountree because of its chocolate mix (the one used in KitKat).)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ok so Walkers Chicken falvour, BBQ flavour, Beef Flavour etc..

do you eat it? would you class it as jus a flavour or haraam?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I do not eat them.

Not because they are haraam, but I cannot bring myself to eat them.

If they say suitablke for vegitarians, we can eat them (unless they contain alcohol).

I used to always cheese and onion flavour walkers, until they brought out two varieties! one suitable for vegitarians, another not! in a vending machine it was impossible to check before purchase, so I just gave up.

The best cheese and onion flavour IMO is from frisps, but I have not seen a packet for ages.

If I ever eat crisps, I go for Walkers 'Thai sweet chilli'.

But I genrally avoid them as they make ym hands too greasy. I can not use a PC afterwards. Even when washed thoroughly with soap.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Darth Hayder" wrote:
ok so Walkers Chicken falvour, BBQ flavour, Beef Flavour etc..

do you eat it? would you class it as jus a flavour or haraam?

no they aint haram dats what i know of...its just a flavour suitable for vegetarians

i heard crisps that dont say suitable for vegetarians are haram

yup thats the stance i take on it

thanks Yashmaki Biggrin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Muhtarama has posted some excellent posts.

Regarding bbq chicke and pork etc I dont eat at all theses flavours and I agree with the verdict of Mawlana AbdurRahman ibn Yusuf.

A previous case can also be referred to. A few years back it was suggested to allow non-alocholic beer to be sold in certain parts of KSA. It was rejected by the ulama present there and the basis they said was that

1. it is imitation of kuffar
2. it instills in the heart a love for an impermitted substance
3. it externally resembles a haraam act and any pathway which leads to haraam is forbidden
4. a person may imagine or hallucinate the pleasures of alcohol by imbibing the non-alcoholic beer
5. it is not certain that alcohol is fully removed or not present in the substance.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Medievalist" wrote:

Regarding bbq chicke and pork etc I dont eat at all theses flavours and I agree with the verdict of Mawlana AbdurRahman ibn Yusuf.

A previous case can also be referred to. A few years back it was suggested to allow non-alocholic beer to be sold in certain parts of KSA. It was rejected by the ulama present there and the basis they said was that

3. it externally resembles a haraam act and any pathway which leads to haraam is forbidden
4. a person may imagine or hallucinate the pleasures of alcohol by imbibing the non-alcoholic beer
5. it is not certain that alcohol is fully removed or not present in the substance.

i can uderstand point 5 , not the rest... dont drink it if it is haram or you not sure about it, but if for eg no alcohol is on it what so ever..its halal , so first 4 points are inaccurate and over exaggeration etc.

I advise you take the issue up with the ulama of saudia. I am sure you and them will have much to discuss!

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I LOVE duck

best kind of meat in the world

nearly all chinese halaal restuarants here have started to serve them

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
"Medievalist" wrote:

i can uderstand point 5 , not the rest... dont drink it if it is haram or you not sure about it, but if for eg no alcohol is on it what so ever..its halal , so first 4 points are inaccurate and over exaggeration etc.

them points make me laugh-esp the one about "hallucinating the pleasures of alcohol"

but thats just my opinion Biggrin

Quote:

These points are perfectly valid.

I don't see why LilSis and Ed can't see that.

Why create a non-alcoholic alternative to beer? It can only be for reasons of imitation.

yup im with irfgy and Medieval on this one

why would you opt for a drink with a non-alcoholic sign on it? isnt ribena...oasis....milkshake etc non-alcoholic?

i only ever seen them in pakistan, and they look just as dodgy as a stella and stink as badly as a bud

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

red bull is famous for giving people that much needed buzz

"it gives u wings"

so cos it claims to give people a buzz-is it haraam? :roll:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
red bull is famous for giving people that much needed buzz

"it gives u wings"

so cos it claims to give people a buzz-is it haraam? :roll:

You would have to be careful you don't binge on it.

its an energising drink designed to revitalise

please explain the purpose of a non-alcoholic drink? the cans look exactly the same!! look at the actual drink....looks and smells the same. if that aint imitation, i dont know what is

its too much like alcohol....

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"irfghan" wrote:

You would have to be careful you don't binge on it.

i dont binge on nothing

many people tho however are addicted to tea/coffee/chocs etc

they cant get thru a day without it

are they in the wrong?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

i dont binge on nothing

many people tho however are addicted to tea/coffee/chocs etc

they cant get thru a day without it

are they in the wrong?

Such addictions can't be good for them.

They should wean themselves off tea/coffee/chocs.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

i dont binge on nothing

So you binge on [i]something[/i].

What would that be?

MashaALLAH for once hayder and irfghan sahiban have agreed with me.

Fling truth against falsehood, and trule falsehood will collapse because by its very nature falsehood is destined to fall.

Muhtarama Yashmaki has again given a view that I agree with.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Imitation of a haraam act is best to be avoided.

The replacement products are halaal no doubt, and there is a market for these products.

However I would avoid them.

The reason for that hadith was not to imitate another religion in a religious act.

Wether eating imitating foods is alsoo in it is open to question, as the haraam foods are not a religious act for other religions.

why imitate it if its halaal?

makes no sense

similarly, you wouldnt catch me near those halaal sausages....for the mere fact it looks like the actual thing, and the thought of it puts me off

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Medievalist" wrote:
im not saying about banning. I was just using an example. We dont like to drink from lotas so we should like to eat pork crisps or nonalcoholic beer.

Which region of pak do they drink from same lota that they use for purification?

By us it is a custom at weddings but it is not the same lota as used in bathroom.

Go to any mosque...

If they do not have taps they use the same lota.

If someone is tempted by beer, would you rather they drinked the real thing?

At times an alien culture is attractive. If you do not know it is hollow you may fall into its trap.

Also if some non-muslim converted, and brought their friends around who wanted a drink, would s/he not rather give them non alcoholoc beer (without telling them?)

There are uses.

Even though I am of the opinion they should be avoided.

i take your point about drinking from lotas but i havent come across it.

If you mean that they fill a lota with water, go and do their business and then use the same lota for wudhu then yes that is common. But I never heard of any1 putting their lips to the same lota and drinking from it! the water is poured onto the hand and then gurgled in the mouth.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Medievalist" wrote:
would any1 here be happy to drink water from the spout of a lota?

would any1 like to drink water from a used wine glass?

salaam

thats not got nothing to do with what we are talking about Biggrin

halal is halal, haram is haram
red bull looks like a can of beer/alcohol..but it isnt, its halal..so absolutely nothing wrong with it.

if something looks haram but is in fact 100% halal, then again there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

halal sausages
halal non alcoholic beer
halal gravy
halal wine
etc etc...
nothing wrong with them.

they may look like the haram product, they may be a copy of it...but if the ingredient is 100% halal then you can have it...this has absolutely nothing to do with imitation of the kuffar...you guiys are taking the concept of 'tashabbuh' out of context here and to its extreme.

the kuffar have [b]parties[/b], so if i have a party that is men only or women only, no music, no haram activity and call it a party (eid party, revival party etc) - is that imitating the kuffar?

the kuffar have [b]birthdays[/b], but if i have a birthday or celebrate the prophets birthday, like the classical scholars did, is that imitating the kuffar?

the kuffar wear [b]jeans, caps, football shirts[/b] etc now if i wear them is that imitating the kuffar?

[b]tashabuh or imitating the kuffar only applies if by doing that act it looks like you are from another religion/deen other than Islam and that act contradicts totally the basic roots of Quran and sunnah.[/b]

wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
football shirts etc now if i wear them is that imitating the kuffar?

ive been told i cant wear my manchester united one :evil:

HA! Lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth Hayder" wrote:
ieve never heard it or seen it...not even at weddings!!

the thought is disgusting

what?

u never seen bacon flavour crisps? :shock:

Pages