TAKING PICTURES

61 posts / 0 new
Last post

people make issues otta anything!!

i have a pic of my Shaykh on my fone

Why?

Because it reminds me of my duties as a muslim....and gives me inspiration, to me and many others he is the Reviver of the Ummah.

if we wernt allowed to take fotos (family ones, baby ones, wedding ones etc) it would remove happy memories from our lives

Photos are for memories, not worshipping

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"kuri/19" wrote:

this is all confusion :roll: pics in phns is dis related..

Did you say not related? can u please clarify that and if you meant not related how is that?

i never said that

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth Hayder" wrote:
i never said that

not you! i am askin kuri, that post never came up right, need to edit it.

"kuri/19" wrote:
"Darth Hayder" wrote:
i think we all have pics

theyre in our fones!!!

this is all confusion :roll: pics in phns is dis related..

no angel its cum out wrong ....i was askin as 2 whether its related 2 attributing the creation of allah..waz meant to be a question

"kuri/19" wrote:

no angel its cum out wrong ....i was askin as 2 whether its related 2 attributing the creation of allah..waz meant to be a question

awritey, sorry...

See this theory bout pics being haram, say if a person thinks so and so worships this person in the pic, lets say that person they "worship" thru pics is alive, it wont tackle the problem, basically those who "worship" pics will find somethin else to worship.....why on earth would sum1 want to worship sum1 in pics? :?

pagans did it

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth Hayder" wrote:
pagans did it

worshiped pic? why...

dunno

just....they had baseless beliefs and rituals

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth Hayder" wrote:
dunno

just....they had baseless beliefs and rituals

then why did u say pagans did if you dont know, what question were u answering?

i said pagans did

i said i dont know why

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
i know of people who have foto's of their sheikh

videos of him

pictures in their homes

i dont see nothing wrong with it

whats wrong is people RIPPING up other people's personal property

which is a sin

Yes! i definately agree, i no plenty of pple who hav photo's, video's etc. includin myself. I personally think its a gud memory, its nt as we're gnna worship the pics or sommat its 4 rememberance.

About RIPPING other pple's personal property is really annoyin. My cuzzies did dat 2 me once wen they came 2 my owse, i didnt no bout it untill i saw the pics in the bin.Dat really hurt Sad

So since den no1 is allowed in my room or front room apart 4rm me.

"Duniya toh badalti rehti hai...Ey mere Quaid tuh kabhi Na badal janaa"

[b]1. Is photography allowed in Islam? Bearing in mind that it is not the same as painting or recreating a being, it's rather a capture of image through light and lens. [/b]

Name of Mufti: Ahmad Kutty

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing keenness on knowing the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations, yet we apologize for the late reply.

With regard to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, answers:

"Photography as a medium of communication or for the simple, innocent retention of memories without the taint of reverence/shirk does not fall under the category of forbidden [i]Tasweer. [/i]

One finds a number of traditions from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, condemning people who make Tasweer, which denotes painting or carving images or statues. It was closely associated with paganism or shirk. People were in the habit of carving images and statues for the sake of worship. Islam, therefore, declared Tasweer forbidden because of its close association with shirk (association of partners with Allah). One of the stated principles of usul-u-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) is that if anything directly leads to haram, it is likewise haram. In other words, Tasweer was forbidden precisely for the reason that it was a means leading to shirk.

[b]The function of photography today does not fall under the above category. Even some of the scholars who had been once vehemently opposed to photography under the pretext that it was a form of forbidden Tasweer have later changed their position on it - as they allow even for their own pictures to be taken and published in newspapers, for videotaping lectures and for presentations; whereas in the past, they would only allow it in exceptional cases such as passports, drivers’ licenses, etc. The change in their view of photography is based on their assessment of the role of photography. [/b]

Having said this, one must add a word of caution: To take pictures of leaders and heroes and hang them on the walls may not belong to the same category of permission. This may give rise to a feeling of reverence and hero worship, which was precisely the main thrust of the prohibition of Tasweer. Therefore, one cannot make an unqualified statement to the effect that all photography is halal. It all depends on the use and function of it. If it is for educational purpose and has not been tainted with the motive of reverence and hero worship, there is nothing in the sources to prohibit it."

Do keep in touch. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Allah Almighty knows best.

[b]2. I am a new Muslim and I am married to the man who introduced me to Islam. In our wedding, we took some pictures. Later, my sister gave us two of the pictures in a frame as a gift. I have placed these pictures on my bedroom dresser. My husband keeps asking me if it is ok to take them down and store them away. But I feel bad, since my sister was only trying to do something nice for us. What is the proper course of action for me in this situation? [/b]
Name of Mufti :Ahmad Kutty

In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

First of all, we would like to stress that there is nothing wrong, as far as Islam is concerned, in keeping those framed pictures as well as other family photos you tend to keep for memories or as souvenirs.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a Senior Lecturer and Islamic Scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

"[b]There is nothing wrong for you to keep those pictures in a frame on a bedroom dresser. Photographic pictures are not considered quite haram or forbidden as is the case with carving of images, which has been forbidden in the Prophetic Sunnah. Pictures are taken by trapping the shadows of a thing, and hence, it is not mimicking Allah’s creation. [/b]

Also if a person is simply keeping them for memory or as a souvenir it is not at all prohibited to do so. However, to display pictures of heroes or leaders or scholars on the walls may fall into category of undesirable or forbidden category, for it may breed reverence, which is a slippery road leading to hero-worship, which is forbidden in Islam."

[b]
3. Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it allowed to hang pictures on walls for the intention of decor? I know that if one puts up a picture for the purpose of worship it is considered shirk. But if I like to decorate my room with my family pictures, I don't see anything haram in it. Could you please enlighten me? Jazakum Allah khayran.[/b]

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Dear questioner, we commend your pursuit of knowledge and your eagerness to seek what is lawful and avoid what is not. We earnestly implore Allah to bless your efforts in this honorable way.

There is nothing to prohibit hanging family pictures on the wall as long as this is far from the possibility of breeding reverence and glorification and the content of the picture itself does not reveal any `awrahs or indecency.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

[i]“[b]It is not considered haram (forbidden) to hang family pictures on the wall; however, I should urge you against hanging them on the wall directly facing you in Prayer. For by hanging them in the direction of Prayer, your thoughts will likely be distracted; furthermore, it may inadvertently give the impression that we worship pictures. It is important for us Muslims to make ourselves distinct in our religious practices from those who associate partners with Allah in their worship. So never hang such pictures in the direction of your Prayer. [/b][/i]

Still another point to consider: Never hang pictures of leaders and heroes, past or present, on your walls, for it may inadvertently lead to feelings of extreme reverence and hero worship, and this in turn may become an avenue leading to shirk. Such things are considered as avenues leading to that which is haram, and hence considered as forbidden. It is worth remembering that this was the main rationale for prohibiting carving images and statues in the first place.

Since, however, such motives are entirely lacking in hanging family pictures, there is no reason to consider it as haram.”

source: islam-online.net

That is the view I hold regarding photos, pictures, framing photos and hanging them up.

[b]As the answers above state :[/b]
1.tasweer/ soorat in the ahadith was referring to statues, sculptures etc. 2, Also the reason why it was forbidden was due to the fact that people will start to give them too much respect, start to worship them and commit shirk. Now nobody does that with photos, especially of family and loved ones. if they start to give them respect or worship them then obviously it is forbidden.
3. photos are only method of communication and mainly for memory purposes.
4. framing photos and hanging them is allowed aswell, only condition is not to pray in front of the pictures as that will look like and can lead to worshipping them.
5. Hanging Photos of leaders and scholars is not allowed as that could lead to hero worship, shirk etc.

I have heard several other big scholars in the world who share the above views. Those who still think taking,keeping and hanging photos is haram, they are entitled to their view.

wasalaam

Jazak'Allah khair Mr Editor ur mssge clearly clarifies the question.

Fi Iman Allah

[b]Incomplete or Defaced Statues[/b]
It is reported in the books of Hadith that the angel Gabriel (Jibril) once refused to enter the house of Allah's Messenger (peace be on him) because there was a statue by its door. He did not enter it again the following day but said to the Prophet (peace be on him), "Order that the head of the statue be broken off so that it resembles the trunk of a tree." (Reported by Abu Daoud, al-Nisai, al-Tirmidhi, and Ibn Hibban.)

On the basis of this hadith some scholars have argued that what is haram are complete figures, but if some part of them is missing without which a human being cannot survive, they are allowed However, the true and correct interpretation of Jibril's asking that the head be broken off in order to make it look like a tree trunk is not that without the head life is impossible, but that the statue was then defaced and consequently viewing it would not generate feelings of respect toward it.

If we ponder over the matter objectively, we will undoubtedly conclude that it is more haram to set up busts in public places in order to perpetuate the memory of kings and great men than to have full figured statues in the home for the purpose of decoration.

source: Lawful and prohibited by Shaykh Yusuf al Qaradawi

[b]Paintings and One-Dimensional Ornaments[/b]
We have explained the Islamic position concerning the solid figures we term "statues," but what about figures and art work executed on plane surfaces such as paper, cloth, curtains, walls, coins, paper currency, and the like?

Concerning this issue, we say that no general ruling is possible here and that each case is to be judged individually. What does the picture depict? Where is it placed? What is its use? What was the artist's purpose in making the picture? It is these questions which must be looked into.

If the pictures become objects of worship, as for example the cow does for Hindus, whoever makes them with this purpose is in reality nothing but an unbeliever propagating shirk and error. Again, [b]the Prophet (peace be on him) threatened such people with dire punishment in the Hereafter saying, "On the Day of Resurrection the most severe chastisement will be for the makers of figures." (Reported by Muslim.)

Al-Tabari, explaining the meaning of this hadith, says, "What is meant here by makers of figures are those who make figures in order that they may be worshipped besides Allah, and this is unbelief (kufr). As for those who do not make them for this purpose, they will be guilty only of making a representation (suar)."[/b] Similarly, if someone hangs such pictures on the wall in order to [u]venerate[/u] them, his act is not that of a Muslim, for Islam has departed from his heart.

We next examine the case of the person who makes pictures not so that they should be worshiped but so that they may be likened to Allah's creation; he feels a sense of pride that he has created as Allah, the Exalted and Mighty, has created. Such an individual has rebelled against belief in tawheed, and concerning him the Prophet (peace be on him) said, The most severely punished among people (on the Day of Resurrection) will be those who try to create something similar to what Allah has created.

This pertains directly to the intention of the artist. Perhaps the hadith quasi cited earlier, Who does greater wrong than he who desires to create the like of what I create? Let them create an atom! Let them create a grain of barley! beathis out as well. Again, what is referred to here is the intention of those artists who want to imitate Allah's attributes of Creator and Originator. Allah's challenge to them to create an atom or a grain of barley points to the fact that their artistic work implies an intention to create something similar to what He has created. To shame them for this on the Day of Resurrection, they will be told publicly, "Bring to life what you created," which of course they can never do. It is prohibited to make or to acquire portraits of individuals who are either revered in a religion or respected for their wordly status. Examples of the first category are representations of prophets such as Abraham, Isaac, David, and Jesus; of angels such as Jibril and Mika'eel (Michael); and of saints and righteous individuals such as Maryam (Mary) and the like. This is a Jewish or Christian custom. Unfortunately, some Muslims, making innovations in religion and imitating the People of the Book, have begun to make and to acquire portraits of 'All, Fatimah, and others.

[b]The second category includes portraits of kings, leaders, and artists in our time.[/b] Although there is less evil in this case, nevertheless we must emphasize its evil, especially if those portrayed are non-believers, tyrants, or wrong-doers, such as rulers who do not judge according to what Allah has revealed, leaders who call people to a message other than the message of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala, and artists who glorify falsehood and propagate lewdness and immorality among people.

It appears that many of the portraits made during the time of the Prophet (peace be on him) and thereafter were of the kind which glorify personages; most probably they were painted by Greeks or Persians, and consequently were never free of the imprint of their beliefs and the sanctification of their saints and rulers. Muslim reported that AbuDuha said, I was with Masrooq in a house which had statues. Masrooq asked me, 'Are these statues of Khosrau?" (The ruler of Persia. (Trans.)) said, 'No these are statues of Mary.' Masrooq assumed them to be the handiwork of a Magian, because the Magians used to portray the figures of their kings even on jars, but when it became clear that they were the work of a Christian, he said, 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ud said that he heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) say, "Among the people receiving the harshest punishment on the Day of Resurrection will be the makers of figures." '
[b]
Drawing, painting, and acquiring pictures of plants, trees, and inanimate objects such as lakes, oceans, ships, mountains, the sun, moon, stars, and the like from scenes of nature is permitted.[/b] There is no difference of opinion in this regard. Moreover, if someone wants to make a picture of an animate being with no intention of competing with Allah as creator or for its glorification or respect, there is no prohibition of doing so; there are numerous sound ahadith in this regard.

([b]ED: VERY IMPORTANT HADITH)[/b])

[b]Muslim reported in his Sahih, on the authority of Basr ibn Sa'id, who heard it from Zayd ibn Khalid, who heard it from Ibn Talha, a Companion of the Prophet (peace be on him), that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) said, "The angels do not enter a house in which there are figures." (Reported by Muslim.)

Basr said, "Thereafter Zayd became ill and we went to visit him.

There was a picture on the curtain of his door. I said to my companion' 'Ubayd Allah al-Khulani, who was the servant of the Prophet's wife Maymunah, 'Was it not Zayd who told us about pictures the other day?' 'Ubayd Allah replied, 'Did you not hear him when he said, [u]"Except if it is made of cloth?" ' " [/b][/u]

Al-Tirmidhi reported on the authority of 'Utbah that once the latter went to visit Abu Talhah al-Ansari, who was ill, and he found Sahl ibn Hanif (another Companion) there. Abu Talhah called someone to come and tear up the sheet which was under him.[b] "Why tear it up?" Sahl asked. "There are pictures on it, and you know what the Prophet (peace be on him) said concerning that," Abu Talhah replied. "Did he not also say, 'Except if it is made on cloth?' " Sahl asked. [/b]"Yes, but it makes me feel better," Abu Talhah replied. al-Tirmidhi classifies this hadith as good and sound (hasan wa sahih).

[u][b]Do not these two ahadith prove that the figures which are prohibited are those which are solid, that is to say "statues?" As for figures drawn or printed on wood, paper, cloth, rugs and carpets, walls, and the like, there is no sound, explicit, and straightforward text to prove that they are forbidden. True, there are sound ahadith which merely indicate the Prophet's dislike for such types of pictures because they are reminiscent of those who live in luxury and love things of inferior value. [/b][/u]

Muslim reported from Zayd ibn Khalid al-Juhani, who quoted Abu Talhah al-Ansari as saying, I heard the Messenger of Allah's statement, 'The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or statues.' I then went to see 'Aisha and asked her, 'Are you aware that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) said, "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or statues?" Did you hear the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) mention this?' She replied, 'No, but I will tell you what he did. Once when he had gone on an expedition I draped the door with a curtain having pictures on it. When he returned and saw it, I could discern from his face that he disliked it. He pulled it down and tore it apart, saying, "Allah has not commanded us to clothe stone and clay." 'She said, 'We cut it and made two pillows out of the cloth, stuffing them with palm fibres. He did not criticize me for that.[b]'Nothing can be inferred from this hadith except that to decorate walls and such things with curtains on which there are pictures is mildly disapproved. Al-Nawawi said, "There is nothing in the hadith implying prohibition. In fact, the crucial words are, 'Allah has not commanded us to do that.' This implies that such a thing is not obligatory or meritorious; in no way does it imply prohibition." [/b]

[u][b]Muslim has also reported from 'Aisha that she said, "We had a curtain with the figure of a bird on it. When the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) entered the house, he saw it right in front of him and he said, 'Remove it from here. When I enter and see it, I am reminded of this world.' "

The Prophet (peace be on him) did not tell 'Aisha to tear up the curtain but only to remove it from the place where it hung facing the entrance; he disliked seeing it there because it brought to his mind the world and its attractions. [/b][/u]This is not strange, since the Prophet (peace be on him) used to perform the sunnah and nafil (voluntary) salat at home. Curtains and bedspreads or statues perhaps would have distracted him from concentration in his salat and complete attention in his supplications.

[size=18][b] Al-Bukhari also reported Anas as saying, "Aisha had covered a part of her apartment with a drape. The Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) told her, 'Take it away from my sight because its figures keep distracting me from my salat.' "

It is quite clear from the preceding ahadith that the Prophet (peace be on him) did not disapprove of having a curtain with a picture of a bird and a drape with figures in his house. On the basis of this and other similar ahadith scholars of earlier times have commented, "What is prohibited are figures which cast shadows (meaning those which are solid) and not those which do not cast shadows (meaning on plane surfaces)." In Fath al-Bari, al-Hafiz has traced this opinion on sound authority back to al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr, who was a jurist of Madinah and the best of his time.) [/b][/size]

In further support of this position we again quote the hadith quasi in which Allah Ta'ala says, Who does greater wrong than he who desires to create the like of what I create? Let them create an atom! Let them create a grain of barley!

As is evident, Allah's creation does not consist of two-dimensional drawings on a plane surface, for He fashions three-dimensional corporeal beings. As he says, It is HeWho fashions you in the wombs as He pleases.... (3:6)

source: Lawful and Prohibited by Shaykh Yusuf al Qaradawi

There is only one hadith, narrated by both al-Bukhari and Muslim on the authority of 'Aisha, which poses some difficulty. 'Aisha said that she bought a cushion with pictures on it. When the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) saw it, he stopped at the door and did not enter her apartment. She saw signs of displeasure on his face and said, "O Messenger of Allah, I turn to Allah and His Messenger in repentance. What have I done wrong?" He said, "What is this cushion?" She said, "I bought it for you to sit on or to rest your head." The Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) then said, The makers of such figures will be punished and will be told, 'Bring to life what you have created.' He continued, 'The angels do not enter a house in which there are figures.'

In the version of Muslim there is the addition, " 'Aisha said that she then cut it and made two pillows to recline upon."

[b]However, this hadith is objectionable on several counts: [/b]

1. The content of this hadith has been transmitted in many versions which appear to be mutually contradictory. Some of them say that the Prophet (peace be on him) used the curtain with pictures after it was cut and made into cushions. In other versions there was no curtain to begin with.

2. According to some versions, only his disapproval of covering walls with printed curtains is established, the reason for his disapproval being that they were a sign of luxury. In the version by Muslim he is reported to have said, "Allah has not commanded us to clothe stone and clay."

3. [b]Then there is the hadith from 'Aisha herself, transmitted by Muslim, about the curtain with the picture of a bird on it and the Prophet's saying, "Remove it from here. When I enter and see it, I am reminded of this world." This statement does not say anything concerning its prohibition.[/b]

4. [b]There is also the hadith concerning the drape in 'Aisha's house which distracted the Prophet's attention from his prayers, whereupon he instructed her to remove it. Al-Hafiz says, "There is a problem in reconciling this hadith and the hadith of the cushion, both of which are ascribed to 'Aisha. This hadith indicates that he had allowed the drape to remain in the house as long as it had not distracted his attention from prayer; he did not have any particular objection to the pictures on it."[/b] Al-Hafiz then tries to reconcile the two ahadith by saying that the cushion had a picture of a living creature while the drape had pictures of inanimate objects. However, his attempt at reconciliation fails with respect to the hadith concerning the curtain with the picture of the bird on it.

5. [b]The hadith concerning the cushion contradicts the hadith reported by Abu Talhah in which figures on cloth were exempted. [u]Al-Qurtabi says, "Reconciliation is possible between the two (ahadith), as 'Aisha's hadith indicates the disapproval of the Prophet (peace be on him), while Abu Talhah's hadith indicates absolute permissibility, and these two are not contradictory." Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar agreed with this statement.[/b][/u]

6. [b]The transmitter of the hadith of the cushion from 'Aisha was her nephew al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr. Al-Qasim himself permitted pictures on a plane surface. [/b]Ibn 'Awm said, "I entered al-Qasim's house, which was in the outskirts of Makkah, and I saw a cloth canopy with figures of a beaver and a phoenix." (Fath al-Bari, reported on the authority of Ibn Abi Shaybah, who quotes al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr. The transmitters are sound.) Al-Hafiz explains, "He probably adhered to the generality of the Prophet's saying, 'Except if it is made on cloth,' and understood the Prophet's stand toward 'Aisha's curtain as a special case. That is, the Prophet (peace be on him) disapproved of the combination of draping the wall and of the cloth having pictures on it. This is supported by the remark, "Allah has not commanded us to clothe stone and clay." [b]Al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr was one of the seven jurists of Madinah and the best of his time; it was he who transmitted the hadith of the - cushion. Consequently, if he had not been convinced of the permissibility of this cloth canopy he would not have had it. [/b](See the section on "Figures and Artists" in Fath al-Bari)

There is another way of reconciling these ahadith. Probably in the early period of Islam the Prophet (peace be on him) was very strict in prohibiting all pictures, as the Muslims had only recently come out o f the state of polytheism and idol-worship, and were prone to sanctifying figures and statues. As the belief in the Oneness of Allah became deeply rooted in their hearts and minds, he allowed them two-dimensional figures, that is, drawings and prints. As for himself, he disliked having curtains or drapes with figures and pictures in his house, not exempting even drawings or prints on, cloth, paper, or the wall.

[b]One of the great Hanafi jurists, al-Tahawi, says, "In the beginning the Prophet (peace be on him) prohibited all types of figures, even if they were two dimensional, since the Muslims had only recently converted from the worship of images. Accordingly, everything of this type was prohibited. Later he lifted the prohibition from cloth with prints because of the necessity of wearing clothes. He also permitted figures which were not treated in a respectful manner, (As is evident from these ahadith, this would include figures which are made into pillows or cushions on which to sit or recline, figures in rugs or carpets which are trod upon and the like. (Trans.)) since there was no danger that the ignorant would venerate what was debased. The prohibition of figures which are not debased was never lifted." (This has been reported by Sheikh Bakhit in AI-Jawab al-Shafi.)[/b]

source: Lawful and prohibited by Shaykh Yusuf al Qaradawi

[b]A Summary of the Rulings Pertaining to Figures and Their Makers[/b]
We summarize here the rulings pertaining to figures and figure-makers.

1. The most strictly prohibited figures are those which are made to be worshiped in the place of or in addition to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala. If the one who makes them does it intentionally for this purpose, he is going in the direction of unbelief (kufr). The most detestable among such figures are statues. Anyone who has a share in propagating or glorifying them will bear the sin proportional to his part.

2. Next to this in sinfulness are figures which are not made to be worshiped but which are intended to imitate Allah's creation. If the artist claims that he originates and creates as Allah does, he is an unbeliever. This matter pertains solely to the intention of the artist.

3. After this are statues which are erected in public places in order to commemorate great personalities such as kings, leaders and celebrities; this applies equally to full-length statues and to busts.

4. Next are statues of living beings which are neither worshipped nor reverenced. There is general agreement that they are haram, except those which are not treated in a manner indicative of respect. Dolls or figures made of chocolate or sugar are clear exceptions.

5. Next are portraits of great people such as rulers and political leaders, especially when they are displayed or hung on walls. Strongly prohibited among these are portraits of tyrants, atheists, and immoral individuals, for to respect them is to degrade Islam.

6. Next are pictures of people or animals which are not accorded respect but constitute a display of luxury and high living, as, for example, when they cover a wall or the like. These are classified as detestable only.

7. Making and acquiring drawings or paintings of trees, lakes, ships, mountains, and landscapes of this sort is permitted. However, if they distract from worship or lead toward extravagant living, they are disapproved.

[b]8. Photographic pictures are basically permissible. They become haram only when the subject matter is haram, as, for example, in the case of idols, individuals who are revered either because of their religious or worldly status, especially the leaders of idolaters, Communists or other unbelievers, or immoral individuals such as actors and entertainers.[/b]

9. Finally, if the prohibited statues and pictures are defaced or degraded, their use becomes permissible; an example of this are figures on a rug or carpet, because they are walked upon.

source: Lawful and Prohibited by Shaykh Yusuf al Qaradawi

salaam

sorry for the extreme detail but i feel it was necessary as alot of people nowadays say anything and everything to do with photos, images, pictures, framing pictures, hanging pictures of family members etc are haram.

I hope people read the above evidence and arguments with an open mind.

wasalaam

"yashmaki" wrote:
Last time i went to get my friends baby some clothes i couldn't for the life of me find anything without an image. In instances like that i'm sure it would be permissible.

Theres nothing wrong with havin pics on clothes as long as u dnt go 2 mosque with em or pray with em.

Its just like havin frames hung in ur room but if its were u face Qibla 4 namaz u hav 2 take it off or turn it round so ur nt facing the pic or best of all dnt even hav 1 facing that direction.

I've taken thousands of pictures in my life. I don't know who's got what.

These days, I try and take pictures which will only stay in my possession.

I've told everyone in my family though that If I die, I would like my pictures to be disposed of as I wont have control of how they are used.

If after I die, a girl sees the picture, and thinks to herself that I was a handsom man, then I'm sure I would be punished in the grave for that. Likewise with anything we leave behind, if it causes good we'll receive rewards in grave and day of reckoning, but anything which causes sin I'd be punished for.

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

"yashmaki" wrote:
Sorry but i;ve never liked pictures of humans or animals hung up, even prior to my interest in Islam.

Who sed i like pictures of animals etc....hehe I cant stand them.

Pictures of humans r orite, i hav no pics in the direction of Qibla nt even 1 apart 4rm Madina n Makkah.

If i put any human pics then they r alwayz at the bk so wen im readin namaz my bk is faced towards them.

"yashmaki" wrote:
Aint it hassle turning them all over for each salat. aint it wise to not have them there at all?

I think frames with arabic calligraphy look amazing masha'Allah. Or the prophet's (pbuh) last sermon etc things like that. They look beautiful and encourages the remembrance of Allah. Sorry but i;ve never liked pictures of humans or animals hung up, even prior to my interest in Islam.

im sure u dont have to have pictures on the wall in every room
and as i have stated above even if the pictures are in the room u just dont read infront of them..that's all. as long as u dont see them when praying, or they dont put you off etc.

i have a picture frame of alot of people from our families which is about 25 years old....some have passed away, some we aint seen for ages, some we will never see agin...that pictures bonds us all together, it keeps their memories alive, reminds us of them, we tell our couisns, niece , nephews, thast your grandma, thats your great grandfather etc. This also remind sus to make duaa for them ...its a positive thing.

pictures, photos are not a bad thing. they are just for memory really. we just have to bare in mind the conditions and behaviour required about photos, images, pictures etc.

another point w ehav epictures in the revival magazine, website etc..they are used for dawah, for getting the message across etc and in no way come under the terms expressed in the ahadith.

we need to be open minded, if we feel uncomfortable with them, then dont take any, dont have any in your house etc. If you like them, feel happy with them and they fulfill conditions they nothing wrong with it. we shouldnt look down or cuss those who take photos, or have them put on frames or hang them up. The beauty of Islam is to take different positions but respect an dtolerate each other because both views are based on sufficient evidence- its just a different interpretaion. Inshallah, I have no doubt over this issue.

1. May ALLAH Rabbul Izzat grant a complete and pure cure to the father of Muhtarama. May (I assume Hazrat is atleast a Hafiz) Hafiz Sahib bear his trial with patience and may he be granted an immense reward particularly due to his connection with the Pure Quran. May the family members also have a great and beautiful patience and a high reward.

2. Muhtarama it is encouraging that you have reconciled with the ripping up of your pictures. We as humans are prone to error. It may be that we like a thing which is bad for us, it may be that we dislike a thing which is good for us. I would be of the opinion that the actions of the respected Aapa is correct and pure. One word of small advice I may venture to add is that at no time show any disrespect to Respected Aapa or even allow such sentiments to enter into your heart. Such a feeling or show will cause destruction both in this world; the Teacher is on par with the parents and disrespect to them is destruction. NB i am not saying you are disrespecting but just saying that incase shaytaan prompts you in that direction, resist him.

3. Regarding wearing clothes with pictures on. I dont see the point in explaining the legality or otherwise but suffice to say that by logic a 5 time namazi will not be wearing clothes with pictures on because such clothing is not permitted in Namaz. Now if a person is muslim and namazi then clothes with pictures wouldnt even be in his wardrobe because he wouldnt have a chance to wear such clothing except perhaps to sleep; hence I can only assume those who wear such clothing are either not establishers of 5 prayers OR they spend the whole day changing from pictured clothing at non-namaz time into simple clothing at namaz time.

4. There are alhamdulillah much other options to putting up pictures of animate objects. As Muhtarama Yashmaki mentioned there is Islamic Calligraphy, also pictures of Masajid or scenic pictures, even abstract art is available.

5. Pictures of shaykhs or peers or whatever is something I am extremely uncomfortable with. I know some people who follow Usama bin Ladin hold his piscs up, some people who follow Shaykh Ahmad Yasin Shaheed hold his pics up, some people who follow Molvi Tahir ul Qadri Sahib hold his pics upbut personally I dont agree and have storng dislike for this. It stinks of the shia who hold up pictures of Khumayni La'een and also they hold up pictures that are supposedly of members of Ahlul Bayt Karaam.
In my view it is innovation and respect shown to such pictures is a form od hidden idolatory.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

salaam
Medieval,
well it has been highlighted before that of the photos not allowed to display, hang up are of scholars, leaders etc in case they turn to hero worship etc. Those who do have it , its out of respect but i dont think its hidden idolatry, they dont worship their shaykhs or show respect to the picture hanged up...again its due to memory...but its better if they dont.
I wouldnt hang up a picture of any scholar....

wasalaam

"yashmaki" wrote:
ok lets pretend i agree its ok to have photos of animate things. But i think most muslims are in agreement angels dont enter homes wherein such pictures are displayed right? So shouldn't we cover them at night or refrain from displaying them in such a way? maybe keep them in albums?

what do you think?

salaam
you see scholars have stated that this hadith about angel not coming to the house, again refers to statues not pictures, photos etc. As I mentioned before there are ahadith of image of a bird etc in the house of the prophet and he only asked it to be moved, as it reminds him of the dunya, it wasnt taken down, so the image was STILL IN THE HOUSE OF THE PROPHET (PBUH). Also companions who NARRATED THAT HADITH had images in their own houses!
So you dont have to cover the pictures, put them in albums etc.

Just for benefit i will post that section about the angel not enetring the house section again:

[b]Muslim reported in his Sahih, on the authority of Basr ibn Sa'id, who heard it from Zayd ibn Khalid, who heard it from Ibn Talha, a Companion of the Prophet (peace be on him), that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) said, "The angels do not enter a house in which there are figures." (Reported by Muslim.)

Basr said, "Thereafter Zayd became ill and we went to visit him.

There was a picture on the curtain of his door. I said to my companion' 'Ubayd Allah al-Khulani, who was the servant of the Prophet's wife Maymunah, 'Was it not Zayd who told us about pictures the other day?' 'Ubayd Allah replied, 'Did you not hear him when he said, "Except if it is made of cloth?" ' "

Al-Tirmidhi reported on the authority of 'Utbah that once the latter went to visit Abu Talhah al-Ansari, who was ill, and he found Sahl ibn Hanif (another Companion) there. Abu Talhah called someone to come and tear up the sheet which was under him. "Why tear it up?" Sahl asked. "There are pictures on it, and you know what the Prophet (peace be on him) said concerning that," Abu Talhah replied. "Did he not also say, 'Except if it is made on cloth?' " Sahl asked. "Yes, but it makes me feel better," Abu Talhah replied. al-Tirmidhi classifies this hadith as good and sound (hasan wa sahih).

[u]Do not these two ahadith prove that the figures which are prohibited are those which are solid, that is to say "statues?" As for figures drawn or printed on wood, paper, cloth, rugs and carpets, walls, and the like, there is no sound, explicit, and straightforward text to prove that they are forbidden. [/u]True, there are sound ahadith which merely indicate the Prophet's dislike for such types of pictures because they are reminiscent of those who live in luxury and love things of inferior value.

Muslim reported from Zayd ibn Khalid al-Juhani, who quoted Abu Talhah al-Ansari as saying, I heard the Messenger of Allah's statement,[u] 'The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or statues.[/u]' I then went to see 'Aisha and asked her, 'Are you aware that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) said, "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or statues?" Did you hear the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) mention this?' She replied, 'No, but I will tell you what he did. Once when he had gone on an expedition I draped the door with a curtain having pictures on it. When he returned and saw it, I could discern from his face that he disliked it. He pulled it down and tore it apart, saying, "Allah has not commanded us to clothe stone and clay." 'She said, 'We cut it and made two pillows out of the cloth, stuffing them with palm fibres. He did not criticize me for that.'Nothing can be inferred from this hadith except that to decorate walls and such things with curtains on which there are pictures is mildly disapproved. [u]Al-Nawawi said, "There is nothing in the hadith implying prohibition. In fact, the crucial words are, 'Allah has not commanded us to do that.' This implies that such a thing is not obligatory or meritorious; in no way does it imply prohibition." [/u]

Muslim has also reported from 'Aisha that she said, "We had a curtain with the figure of a bird on it. When the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) entered the house, he saw it right in front of him and he said, 'Remove it from here. When I enter and see it, I am reminded of this world.' "

[u]The Prophet (peace be on him) did not tell 'Aisha to tear up the curtain but only to remove it from the place where it hung facing the entrance; he disliked seeing it there because it brought to his mind the world and its attractions.[/u] [/b]

i think this should answer your question sis.
wasalaam

Pages