Bookworms

ok... how many y'all read?

What was the last book you read? Was it good or bad? got any recommendations?

This is for both the religions type and the non-religious type.

(For full disclosure, I was just browsing the proboards forums and noticed the similar titled topic, and thought it would be a good addition.)

My last (proper) book? I would have to say Sandworms of Dune (it is the thirteenth one if you include the prequels unless more have been released since). Pretty poor and the ending made me angry. The ending was fanboyish and a cop-out.

I was surprised at my reaction because I was never too impressed with the writing (or the concepts to be honest). SO, to make it me feel angry, it had to be terrible.

heh, just searched and found what I wrote about the book immediately reading it:

You from another verse wrote:
GAAAAAAAH!

[size=8]It's the Matrix Revolutions all over again![/size]

[size=8]Why the "£$%"£$%$%^ E£$^£^ £$^ £^ did the author decide to go down the pacifism route?[/size]

[size=8]EDIT - thinking of Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions (I subscribe to the conspiracy theory that the Wachowski's did not write the original - but stole the script.)- there is much overlap. The Architect could be Omnius. The oracle Erasmus. Agent Smith replaced by the new face dancers. Neo, Trinity, Morpheus replaced by Paul, Cheni, Duncan. And much much more.[/size]

Pretty amusing I think.

So why did I read it? Well... Dave recommended to me the original "Dune" book. I read it, never thought too much of it. But it had a sequel. Dune Messiah. I read that. It was an improvement, but nothing spectacular. That had a sequel called Children of Dune. It was pretty formulaic. That had a sequel... which had a sequel... which had a sequel which opened up a new storyline (but the author died before letting people know where it was leading)... then there were three prequels by his son... then three more prequels.. then finally onto the last two books to finish of the storyline.

Another disclaimer - I try to avoid reading. Not because I dislike it, but because it brings out some terrible qualities in me.

In short I have this flaw - I like closure and I am compulsive addictive towards things (If I was not this website would never get anywhere...). Something has to be truly dreadful for me not to finish it. and with books, I tend to binge. I will lose sleep, ignore everything else until I have read it all. (only way you could read a trilogy within a week I suppose... especially since I am a slow reader.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

The last book I read? Kite Runner by Khaled Housseni. Very interesting, about the social class discrimination and the Taliban in the 20th/21st century Afghanistan. A great book for someone who wants to learn!

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Courage wrote:
The last book I read? Kite Runner by Khaled Housseni. Very interesting, about the social class discrimination and the Taliban in the 20th/21st century Afghanistan. A great book for someone who wants to learn!

Not read the book but watched the film the other day, it was soooo sad. Me personally i dont have the concentration for books. Also a book requires you to sit still for long periods of time which i find difficult to do.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Naz wrote:
Courage wrote:

Not read the book but watched the film the other day, it was soooo sad. Me personally i dont have the concentration for books. Also a book requires you to sit still for long periods of time which i find difficult to do.

How about getting books on tape?

When I was a kid I liked Roald Dahl ones!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Well the last book i read was called Memoirs of a teenage Amnestic - it was ok.. not t
he best ive read

Bali Rai has some good books .. ive read some of his..

Ryt now im gonna start reading this book called: The Wind Singer, by William Nicholson.. Apparently its supposed to be really good - was the book of the month in my school library lol..

Also, has Malorie Blackmans third book come out? the one after Noughts And Crosses and Checkmate? Anyone know what its called? Have you read it? Any goood?

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

Used to read a lot of books about abused, Muslim women. Not really into that anymore...at the moment all I read is shallow women magazines.

Last book i bought/read.. Unbroken Spirit by Ferzana Riley. Typical story; cultural, backwards paki parents.. modern coconut girl gets tricked into goin back home 2 b forced into marriage.. back home no1 wants 2 marry her cos she dark n tall n fat.. the suitors that do jus want a ticket into this country so she escapes back 2 england moves out and opens up a refuge. yawn.

Actually im confusing my books.. she didnt come back and open up a refuge.. she moved in with some white guy, got pregnant with him and he dumped her cos he didnt want a mixed race kid and then she found someone else and became christian.

and i'm also flicking through some boring logistics freight transport book Sad

Naz wrote:
Courage wrote:

The film is slightly different from the book. Sorhab does something........ and the book doesn't just end like that. If you want to know more, read the book.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

I-m so happy books in general tend to be long so if the film included everything from the book no one would watch it. My sis has read the book and said the film pretty much summed up the book. Might read it.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Kite runner.
Womens magazines.
Local rag.

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

Hey! Theres a Bookworms forum topic! Biggrin

I havent read a novel/book for ages!
The last Book i read was called Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. I thought it was good! it was about an Amish girl who gave birth to a boy by herself, but when she woke up in the morning, the baby was missing. Later in the day, a baby was found dead. When the police came to investigate, obviously they discovered that it was her baby. But she denied it even though all the evidence pointed at her. Because of this she also denied killing the baby. She wasnt sure what/how the baby died.
I learnt loads about Amish people. And I would recommend.
Another one, I liked was Vanishing acts by the same author.

My Best Friends Girl is another book I really liked.

Biggrin

I read a Jodi Picoult a few months ago. I was expecting adventure and after reading about the author's credentials I was really hyped up. Then I read the book and felt let down. It was good and everything, just not my cup of tea. That's the risk you take when you experiment.

Last book I read was an abridged version of Don Quixote. It was good but I could tell that the gems were in the dialogue of the original. This dialogue must have been re-imagined and then paraphrased for the abridged version because it was only a 100 page book whereas the original was probably 2000 pages.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

the last book i read was twilight
i promised my friend i would
she got really excited bwt it:D

SMILE! its charity Wink

the last book i read was twilight
i promised my friend i would
she got really excited bwt it:D

SMILE! its charity Wink

Dawud wrote:
I read a Jodi Picoult a few months ago. I was expecting adventure and after reading about the author's credentials I was really hyped up. Then I read the book and felt let down. It was good and everything, just not my cup of tea. That's the risk you take when you experiment.

Which one did you read?
Their all quite depressing in the real life sense.

'Songs of the humpback whale.'

It was the title which got me tpo take a second glance. "Ooh metephorical and artsy. Wonder what we've got here?"

Answer: Family problems, mediocre escape and lots of juicy apples.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

i like reading

im reading Eragon at the moment, its such a MASSIVE book pfuiii...im getting there Lol i read all sort, a fantasy once in a while wont hurt anyone, will it?

why is it easier to read non-religious books than religious books?

except for "the world of teen" one and two, there're really good (i know that coz i bought them...)

anyway take good care of yourself before looking around and wanting to take care of others and have a happy life ( i couldnt say anything else as there isnt any holies coming up lol)

Ooooh ive read Eragon too... and the 2 sequels afters (Eldest and Brisingr)
Its good, just gets a lil wishy-washy after a while.

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

Ya'qub wrote:
I found this online. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I think it might annoy some people (as well as the point of me doing this, which is just to 'bump' the thread)

[IMG]

HEY! NO HATING ON THE TWILIGHT SERIES!

Theres a twilight book for every occasion!!! When you're happy, sad or just bored.

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

I had not even heard of twilight until recently.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Dawud wrote:
'Songs of the humpback whale.'

It was the title which got me tpo take a second glance. "Ooh metephorical and artsy. Wonder what we've got here?"

Answer: Family problems, mediocre escape and lots of juicy apples.

Oh! Not heard of that one before. But I just read the summary of the story.hmmm..sounds similiar to the other stories. The one I book I found really boring of hers was called "The tenth circle"
the main characters were boring and the story was boring,, i started skipping pages...so wont recommend...

Midnight wrote:

HEY! NO HATING ON THE TWILIGHT SERIES!

Theres a twilight book for every occasion!!! When you're happy, sad or just bored.

woah.
okay.
Il keep that in mind.

Midnight wrote:

So... that's "every occasion" then?

You wrote:
Midnight wrote:

Thats an example genius. No matter what the occasion or situation theres a twilight book or chapter atleast.

there is this very weird writer: MEg Rosoff. (very disturbing) my friend read one of hers and didnt understand, i read and i didnt understand (much) and then the LIBRARIAN read and was confused also. i think the woman thinks we are as clever as her, *she should add a little explanation at the end of the story just to unlighten those who are not a clever as her* xd Biggrin

Different people can get different meanings out of the same thing.

Sometimes it is about being clever, other times it is due to experience.

Ive read so many books I cant wite a list here or it will be too lon

recent books

desperately seeking paradise by ziauddin sardar
cime and punishment by fyodor dostoyevsky
dead souls by nikolay gogol

I LOVE russian literature
so well written
and so....I dunno...cultured I guess

Midnight wrote:
You wrote:
Midnight wrote:

Thats an example genius. No matter what the occasion or situation theres a twilight book or chapter atleast.

that is true, even though i wasnt very keen on the twilight series untill recently

SMILE! its charity Wink

Pages