Should this proposed pm restriction take place?

Yes
15% (3 votes)
Yes
15% (3 votes)
No
35% (7 votes)
No
35% (7 votes)
Total votes: 20

"yashmaki" wrote:
I dont think u can blame the forum entirely but i suppose the forum could implement pms between same sexes only as do many faith forums, with the exception of administration. that way no one can blame the forum for things like dating :roll:

I think this is a good idea.

The poll is set to run for 35 days, discuss at will...or else.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Thing is then a person will have to choose gender at registration, and people can lie.

A second issue is then you KNOW who is male and who is female.

Otherwise you just have to guess by username (Which Omrow used to have alot of fun with...), avatar or posting style.

There are merits and drawbacks.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

hhhhmmmm to Admin you listen.

If restricted pm in this manner... multiply our problems will.

Back in BLACK

To be honest I don't think that's a good idea, at the end of the day if people want to chat up people from the oppsite sex then they will chat em up. Some people have their email adds on their profile thats a means.

Anyway if it's only admin who can pm everyone then sometimes Ed is online and u need to speak to him how can we pm him or other members of the opposite sex who are part of the editorial team if this is restricted?

I personally don't see that as a solution to the "problem"

All in all I dont realy care (i knw it sounded like i did :? )

child, you are confused.

(I was going somewhere with that tone, but I forgetwhere... :oops: )

It can be a good idea, but I struggle to see how to implement it in an environment where the current userbase has not given their gender.

Secondly the question is what would it really accomplish?

If anyone has similar or other idea's, let me know as this is something I'd like to think on.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

erm you talkin to me loner? If so, why am I confused?

"Angel" wrote:
erm you talkin to me loner? If so, why am I confused?

As I said I forgot where I was headed with that statement, but I am sure it would have been profound.

it was just a suggestion coz i noticed it being used on one particular site, and whilst i can't be a 100% certain there is no misuse of the forum, i do notice a difference in the way women and men treat each other, there's a lot more respect and flirting of any sort is just not present there, coz it's nipped in the bud without ppl being given a second chance.

but sure ppl can still lie about gender. but then are we to assume every person on forums lies, if thats how paranoid we are then we shouldn't be using the forums and other interactive facilities should we? Just some common sense precautions and we can use the net safely.

I didn't realise this forum was ever used for dating purposes but then i am slow picking up on these sorts of things... :oops:

im not suggesting an online purdah system Lol

The thing is it could all be down to the other forum having a different audience, or it could be down to these policies.

For me the issue is implementation. I will need to have a look into thigns to see if it is even possible with the siftware we currently use, or are moving to.

Oh, and everybody lies - Doctor Gregory House. (Second time i am quoting that chap.)

yes everybody lies but i don't believe everyone on line is "posing" as someone else, least i hope not, what a sad world we live in if thats the case :?

Oh Yash you really dont understand.... everybody lies.

You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking

If people didnt want to pose as someone else theyd use a different medium rather than the savy internet.

Back in BLACK

"yashmaki" wrote:
yes everybody lies but i don't believe everyone on line is "posing" as someone else, least i hope not, what a sad world we live in if thats the case :?

Blum 3

That quote was for Seraph's benefit. Just having a little fun.

Some people pose. Others show a different side to themselves online. I turn out to be friendly, explain my thoughts and appear smart. Some are just themselves.

The only issue of banning PM's is that for those who want to, there are other ways around the systems. People can show their msn/aol/yahoo/icq id's as standard and this just bypasses the issue.

Rules normally hurt those who follow them, unless they are properly thought through. THios topic is allowing us to discuss the issue to make sure whatever is decided is for the best.

Do we even need PM's?

u mean even though i say im a girl u think im a guy? come on everyone doesn't lie to that extent. Some tell little white lies, some witholds truths for their own online safety and that is being wise. but..but...nevermind am i to assume ur a girl then seraphim Dirol

yes showing another side to ourselves is quite expected online coz u can lose ur inhibitions especially if ur naturally a shy person, but i dont think that's really lying, it's a facet of your real character that prob never shines through offline coz of insecurities or whatever. i think im more outspoken online than i would be offline. offline i take longer to trust ppl and make frank conversations, online that obstruction is removed.

I be the wise one and back out of this conversation slowly... just stir a little.

So, seraph, how do you respond?

:twisted:

If two people decided to 'mess about' why should it affect us all, this is collective punishment!

Anyway, why do you wanna restrict pm's....might aswell remove the whole thing. People can use their emails instead!

The question was not proposed by me. I am just considering it after a suggestion by others.

This is the time to say good idea/bad idea.

"Admin" wrote:
The question was not proposed by me. I am just considering it after a suggestion by others.

What are you nuts? I teach you to lie cheat and steal and the moment my backs turned your asking people for their ideas?

Back in BLACK

One thing I've always rated about this forum is how clean it is....And without bigging up the females too much...I think this is partly cos the girls don't flirt or let their guard down.

And the guys arent too bad either.

Not many forums can say that.

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

What are you nuts? I teach you to lie cheat and steal and the moment my backs turned your asking people for their ideas?

You're really taking it to heart.

How long before you get caught?

"Admin" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

You're really taking it to heart.

How long before you get caught?

I dont care as long as i can help train a superior race.

Back in BLACK

Salaam

1./ If pm's are not restricted. Thats fine by me. If they are restricted, also fine Insha Allah Ta'ala .

2./

"MuslimBro" wrote:
If two people decided to 'mess about' why should it affect us all, this is collective punishment!

I don't consider it punishment to be forced to say anything you have to say to a memeber of the opposite sex in public.

3./

"Angle" wrote:
Anyway if it's only admin who can pm everyone then sometimes Ed is online and u need to speak to him how can we pm him or other members of the opposite sex who are part of the editorial team if this is restricted?

If the restriction did happen, perhaps certain memebers of the editorial group could have a 'gender neutral' inbox. So that anyone could pm them. However they could still have a male or female sending restriction. That way anyone can pm those memebers and those members could pm each other.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

I'm not particularly in favour of the restriction, although I don't know how bad the infractions were. I've only rarely had cause to PM any of the ladies here, but it was useful.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

hey i have an idea! :idea: how about if newbies are not provided with the PM privilege straight away? as far as i'm aware the recent 'issue' occured between relative newbies who hadn't posted much? maybe we should restrict PM privileges to members who post regularly, and if anyone macks publicly on the forum :roll: regardless of how old a member they are their PM privileges should be taken away.

how does that sound? Smile

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

^^I think that's a good idea.

I'm not really fussed either way about being able to PM the same sex only.

Is this not being taken a bit too seriously though? Is it really that big a problem. I wasn't even sure I believed the recent allegation and I'm still not sure I do. However, I guess anything that helps to prevent it from happening is a good idea.

"Imaani" wrote:
Is this not being taken a bit too seriously though? Is it really that big a problem.

That's what I was also thinking, I believe it's a 'one-off' thing and won't happen again.

Anyway, if you look at the poll you'll see that most people don't want the restriction imposed, not that it matters if you do.

so what if its 'one-off', the fact is it's happened before and apparently it's happening again. it could be destructive to the people involved and their families. so it's only right that the Revival do it's part to prevent it from happening.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

It's happening again?

If people feel so strongly about this then why not just remove the whole pm system.

It happened atleast 6 months ago. (neither member has been active since september...)

But it is something which I do not approve of.