Is racism/discrimination part of your everyday life?

Very much so
8% (1 vote)
Very much so
8% (1 vote)
Sometimes
17% (2 votes)
Sometimes
17% (2 votes)
Not at all
25% (3 votes)
Not at all
25% (3 votes)
Total votes: 12

Some of the complaints made by individuals, and organizations about a ’pervading racism’ in our British society might be justified. Indeed, racism does exist in modern Britain, but to which degree?

In my opinion, most people, including employers and teachers, look beyond the colour of someone’s skin. Racism serves as an excuse for not coping with work, school or life in general. This statement is based upon my belief that Britain has become a society where people are given the freedom to think for themselves. We are, as British citizens, allowed to make our own opinions about things. The vast majority of us, I believe, thinks rationally enough not to judge a person on the colour of his or her skin. Yet, the fact remains that a large number of researchers, activists and others hold on to the claim that our British society, still today, possesses an overwhelming number of people with racist intentions. Even official institutions, such as the police, are being condemned as being racist.

The statement that modern Britain is, in essence, a racist society, is one that really undermines the British common values, and her tradition of solidarity. After all, we are a united nation; we share certain aspects of Britishness. It is my sincere belief that most persons migrating to Great Britain, will be able to take part in that Britishness, and thank God that he has come to this land, where all are welcome, and free to partake in the British tradition.

Olav.

Never heard such rubbish in my life! (last paragraph)

are u in the government?!

ur looking at Racism in Britain through rose-tinted glasses mate

whilst i agree that sometimes its used as an excuse, it still exists throughout the world. and within certain institutions in Britain.

care to explain the race riots in oldham? why there are no footballers in the premiership frm the sub-continent? why ive been racially attacked twice?

wake up and smell the coffee

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"olav" wrote:

The statement that modern Britain is, in essence, a racist society, is one that really undermines the British common values, and her tradition of solidarity. After all, we are a united nation; we share certain aspects of Britishness. It is my sincere belief that most persons migrating to Great Britain, will be able to take part in that Britishness, and thank God that he has come to this land, where all are welcome, and free to partake in the British tradition.

It's no good just shouting about Britishness. If you want people to embrace Britishness then you have to define Britishness.

What is Britishness?

An answer would be appreciated.

everyone is racist. However mostly it is just hidden under a different umbrella.

Britain is not perfect. I like it here, but I am under no illusions. Nor should anyone be. I am given equal opportunities most of the time I think. But because I have never been white, I do not know how people react to diffferent colours.

There was a documentary on this by Donal McIntyre where a white person and a black person were given makeovers to change colour. The white person was taken aback at how people reacted ever so slightly differently.

We would not notice it, but it happens.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I am sorry to say racism and stereotyping is embeded in british culture, they think white is supreme and look down on us due to their innate nature. However dont use it as an excuse every time i suffer from discrimination it motivates me to work harder. I must say living in birmingham i find that racism is generally rare and the authoritys do tend to be fair.

also the best way to combat racism is fight it head on never ignore it e.g someone slaps you then retaliate with a punch, or atleast report it.

reporting it doesnt waork most of time, the police are racists sometimes!! and if ya dont believe me....that program on the coppers in manchester, remember that anyone...?

i reported one of mine - nothing happened. didnt bother with the 2nd. no surprise is it, ive lost faith in the police

but yeah, similarly to Raf, living in a majority Pakistani area, i hardly see it. We Rule Oldham Dirol Manchester is very diverse, so no probz there.

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I would not say racism is embedded in british culture. Its present, but not embedded.

reporting it is good for the news guys at the end of the year. 'Thisn year race related incidents shot up 768%. Sir Trevor phillips has said this will lead to New Orleans type segregation, and may eventually lead to a hurricane...'

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Britain not racist? Really?

If Britain isnt racist, why does the law state that a certain percentage of every institution must be of an ethnic minority, andin most, not all, but most institutions, they only allow the bare minimum of ethnic minorities into the institution.

The reason I know this?

My Aunty used to be a social worker and a university lecturer, she quit jus 2 years ago. She is of arabian desent so looks kinda white british (whatever u wanna call it, Caucassion). She has many friends on the boards of institution, and when she spoke to me about this topic, something struck me as a surprise because it was so close to home.

She has a friend on the board of the university of Manchester, who told her how the "complicated admissions procedure" there works. Basically they get loadsa people applyin to evry course. n they only got a certain amount of places available, so what they do, is look for ethnic minorites who acheived the best grades, and fill the % required on courses of least significance, such as english language or summin stupid.

on courses such as Law, sciences, computing etc, they only let a few people in. Once they have filled the Least amount of % required by law, they will go 1 or 2 % above as to account for drop outs, n the rest of the places will go to non-ethnic minorities.

Now you can dismiss this for a loada cobblers, but this is true and u jus have to look around you. Minorities with degrees stuck in call centres, dead end jobs, and majorities who didnt even go university managing big firms, not becuz minorities are not capable, but becuz they dunt wanna c it happen.

Another thing to think about is hy this ethnic minorities in institution law was passed, was it to make sure employer etc employ minorities and dunt discriminate, or was it so that employer etc. dont employ too much?

waSalaam, fruityness all round

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

my fruity friend, that explains why no paki goes to Uni of Manchester to study Law :evil:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
my fruity friend, that explains why no paki goes to Uni of Manchester to study Law :evil:

no paki? my cousin sis is studying law at uni down manchester

she must be:

1 - Rich, good posh background
2 - or, REALLY REALLY REALLY clever
3 - or, that 1% or 2% that Razor was talking about
4 - or, an international student

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

possibly 2 or 3..... i know she gotta place easy

I got two friends studying at Manchester (Maths and Electronical engineering). You guys are too paranoid, yes racism exists in Britain but its sort of balanced out by hippies.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

anyone can get onto those degrees, hardly competitive

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ