Are you afraid to die?

130 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Ya'qub" wrote:
Talib Kweli said:

"You're only scared to die when you ain't living right."

Just about says it all, really.

As Muslims we should look forward to meet Allah (swt) but I am scared, not of death, but l feel I haven't done enough to get that ticket to Paradise.

"xSmurfy786x" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

Nope, when you yawn the shaytan enters..

the shaytaan enters what? ur mouth? :?

I think that's the case, that's why you should cover your mouth when yawning. Can someone verify?

Abu sai'd al-Khudri (ra) reported that the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "When one of you yawns, he should try to restrain it with the help of his hand since it is the shaytan that enters therein." Sahih Muslim 4/2293

So seraphim its not silly superstition.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Reported by Abu Hurayrah (ra): The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "Yawning is from the shaytan, so if one you yawns he should try his best to stop it; for when of anyone of you yawns, shaytan laughs at him.” Sahih Bukhari 8245

"Noor" wrote:
Reported by Abu Hurayrah (ra): The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: Yawning is from the shaytan, so if one you yawns he should try his best to stop it; for when of anyone of you yawns, shaytan laughs at him.” Sahih Bukhari 8245

Let him laugh.

Putting your hand infront of your mouth when yawning is just good manners.

Back in BLACK

In another version the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "He should place his hand over his mouth." Transmitted by Ibn Majah

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:
Reported by Abu Hurayrah (ra): The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: Yawning is from the shaytan, so if one you yawns he should try his best to stop it; for when of anyone of you yawns, shaytan laughs at him.” Sahih Bukhari 8245

Let him laugh.

Why? The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) has told us to use our hands so that the shaytan doesn't laugh at us. If there was nothing wrong with the shaytan laughing at us then why would the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) mention it? There is hikma behind everything, we may not see it, but the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) obviously does.

Its interesting to see all the responses to a very difficult question, as no one likes to think of death, even though its the one thing that is certain in life.

I would like to think I would be comfortable with the thought of death, when it comes. I don't think I would be afraid of dying. Even though I love my life and what Allah has blessed me with, I don't think there is anything (materialistic) in this life I am really attached to. Obviously, the thought of not being with my family scares me, but you have to believe Allah will take care of them, and they will cope.

As for the hereafter, I don't think I have completed all my obligations (faraiz) fully, and therefore do expect a lot of punishment, which I hope Allah gives me the strength to cope with. However, I don't believe I have committed anything so bad that I regret in my life, which I am afraid of facing upto.

All this self-anaylsis leads me to think more about sadqa jaria(ongoing charity) and ways that I can get some blessings and prayers after my death. Maybe I should do more...Insha Allah...

Don't get me wrong, I do think about death.

We should think about death when praying and also the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said people to visit graveyards to remind them of death.

Quote:
Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) narrates: “ The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) once passed by two graves and said: “They (in the grave) are being punished not for a great thing to avoid” Then he added: “Yes, (they are being punished for a great sin), for one of them used to go about with calumnies while the other never saved himself from the splashes of urine” Ibn Abbas said: “Then he (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) took a green leaf and split it into two pieces, then placed one piece on each of the two graves and said: “Their punishment may decrease until these two pieces become dry” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1312).

They were being punished for acts which people see as minor things. It's not just the Day of Judgement which we worry about, it's also the life in the grave.

Imagine yourself... you're alone... in the dark... no-one can hear you nor help you... and you're in your grave.....

I remember reading a hadith that says that if someone thinks about death 80 times a day then they will go to Paradise.

I think that it's not just the thinking about it which is important, rather that if someone DOES think about it a lot, then they are more likely to do good deeds and refrain from sin.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Irfan.Khan" wrote:
So seraphim its not silly superstition.

lol.. ur the one who told seraph to continue!

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

"Ya'qub" wrote:
I remember reading a hadith that says that if someone thinks about death 80 times a day then they will go to Paradise.

I think that it's not just the thinking about it which is important, rather that if someone DOES think about it a lot, then they are more likely to do good deeds and refrain from sin.

yeh thats true..

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

Daqaq (ra) says, “Who ever remembers death frequently, will benefit in three ways: he will hasten to repent, he will become content, and he will be active in worship. Whoever forgets death will be punished in three ways: he will delay repentance, he will no longer be content with what is sufficient, and he will be lazy in worship.” O Death! Where is thy long awaited sting? ...sigh…”

A'isha (ra) said, "O Apostle of Allah, who will appear together with the martyrs on the Day of Resurrection?" The holy Prophet, (pbuh) replied:" Anyone who thinks about death twenty times each day and night ." He also said, "Death is a present for the faithful, because the world is their prison, and they are always grief-stricken in it. Death is the release from all that, and release from prison is certainly a much-prized gift!" Again, he said, "Death is an atonement for every Muslim."

Meanwhile, it is said that death is more painful than the blow of a sword or a cut from a saw, or removing the nails from one's fingers. Hence it is that the holy Prophet, (pbuh) said, "O Allah, make the pangs of death bearable for me!" In a similar way, Isa (as) said to his followers: "O my apostles, beseech Allah ta'ala to make death easy for me, for I am so much afraid of it that my fear itself is plunging me to my death!"

The Prophet Muhammad, (pbuh) said, " If even a single hair of a dead person were to be placed upon the inhabitants of the heavens and earth, then by the divine command all would certainly perish, because in each hair is contained the effect of death, and this effect simply cannot fall upon anything without causing it to perish." It is also related that he said, "If only a drop of the fear of death were to be placed upon the mountains of the earth they would certainly melt away." It is also said that when the soul of the Prophet Moses (as) reached the Divine Presence, Allah asked: "Moses, how did you find death?" He asked this question, even though He is fully aware of what it is like. Moses (as) replied: "I found my soul was like a sparrow, and in such a state as though it had been fried in a pan but did not receive the relief of death, nor was it released so that it might fly away."

"MuslimBro" wrote:

[b]The Prophet Muhammad, (pbuh) said, " If even a single hair of a dead person were to be placed upon the inhabitants of the heavens and earth, then by the divine command all would certainly perish, because in each hair is contained the effect of death, and this effect simply cannot fall upon anything without causing it to perish." [/b]It is also related that he said, "If only a drop of the fear of death were to be placed upon the mountains of the earth they would certainly melt away." It is also said that when the soul of the Prophet Moses (as) reached the Divine Presence, Allah asked: "Moses, how did you find death?" He asked this question, even though He is fully aware of what it is like. Moses (as) replied: "I found my soul was like a sparrow, and in such a state as though it had been fried in a pan but did not receive the relief of death, nor was it released so that it might fly away."

i dont get the bit in bold..

well frm I-m so happy them hadeeth, you can see that death was a horrific experience for Hazarat Musaa (as).. and he was the prophet of Allah (swt) so how will it be like for us?

Moses (as) replied: "I found my soul was like a sparrow, and in such a state as though it had been fried in a pan but did not receive the relief of death, nor was it released so that it might fly away."

Wow! :shock:

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

As far as I know everyone experiences the pain of death, it's not peaceful as some people think. So you're still going to feel the pain even if you die when you're asleep.

Shaykh Anwar al-Awlaki's lecture talks about this.

The exception to this is the shaheed. When they die, the pain will be like a bee sting to them so we should make du'a that we die the death of a shaheed. And may Allah (swt) make death bearable for us and save us from the punishment of the grave and the hell fire.

Umar Ibn Al-Khattab's (ra) wish was to die as a shaheed but his daughter used to ask him, how is that possible when we're living in Medina; the heart of the Muslim land. But Allah (swt) accepted Umar's (ra) du'a. The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) wanted to fight and die as a shaheed, so he could come back and do it over and over again. But this wasn't possible as the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was under the protection of Allah (swt) and couldn't be killed by another human being.

The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was given a clock to put on and His Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was taken away. The Prophet Dawud (as) (I think it was Dawud (as), may Allah swt forgive me if it was a different Nabi) was given a flower and His (as) soul was taken away.

"Ya'qub" wrote:

There's 24 hours in a day, so if 8 hours is taken up by sleep it leaves with 16 hours. So you must think about death every 12 mins.

The Angel of Death comes and takes people's souls unannounced, except for the Prophets (pbut), as permission needs to be asked from them first.

Videos to remind of death:
[url]
[url]

Taken from another thread.

"You" wrote:
This will sound a little embarrassing but I got an addiction...

very hard to control... Its like, you know... controlling my life.

I am addicted to air. There. I have said it. Just can't live without it.

The few times i have tried, I kept gasping for it.

So much so, I have given up fighting the urge to breathe!

[url]

No... I don't and I am probably the worst Muslim on here. MAYBE in my heart I feel Allah will show us his mercy and not punish anyone.

Understand what you know.

i think ive talked about my view on this before

death itself doesnt scare me

jus the thought or possibility of me not being amongst the righteous....faliing the test

not death itself

my bro gets freaked out by graveyeards....i personally dont

is it true that the people in the graves can hear passers by?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:

Yah, they hear your footsteps when you walk away.

"Sirus" wrote:
death itself doesnt scare me

jus the thought or possibility of me not being amongst the righteous....faliing the test

not death itself

Same here. I go to the cemetery quiet often but it doesn't seem to scare me even though i know i'm gona end up there one day :?

"Noor" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

Yah, they hear your footsteps when you walk away.

but what baout what we say?

and any hadith or Quran evidence?

ive heard its true, jus wanna read up on it

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Oh i don't know about that. Will research into it once i get home.

"Sirus" wrote:
and any hadith or Quran evidence?

Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik (ra) narrates that the Messenger of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: “When a individual is placed in his grave and his companions return and he even hears their footsteps, two angels (Munkar and Nakir) come to him, make him sit and ask: “What did you use to say regarding this man (i.e. Muhammad, saw)? The believer will say: “I bear testimony that he is the servant and Messenger of Allah” It will be said to him: “Look at your place in the fire of Hell, Allah has changed in stead of it a place for you in Paradise” So he will see both of his places, (Qatada said: “we were informed that his grave would be made spacious” then he went back to the narration of Anas who said: “As far as the hypocrite and non-believer is concerned, it will be said to him: “What did you use to say regarding this man? He will reply: “I do not know, but I use to say what people use to say” It will said to him: “Neither did you know nor did you recite (the Qur’an and took guidance), and he will be hit with a iron hammer once, and he will send such a cry that everything near him will be able to hear, except the Jinns and human beings” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no.1308 & Sahih Muslim, no. 2870).

Anas ibn Malik (ra) narrates that the Messenger of Allah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: “If (I had not feared) that you would stop burying your deceased, I would have asked Allah to make you hear the punishment in the grave” (Sahih Muslim).

JazakAllahu khayran Muslimbro.

It is said the hammer that munkar nakir have are so heavy that all the humans since the creation of adam (as) up to now cannot move it an inch.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I don't see how dead people can hear footsteps, since their ears and the connections in their brains will have rotted away.

Perhaps this hadith should not be taken literally (like many).

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Pages