Standard of Living

Salaams,

I bumped into an old school friend of mine in an Islamic programme last night. I dunno how we came onto this topic but we began to talk about standard of living...my friends kinda well off. Lives in a massive 5 bedroom house, well decorated, family has about 4 flashy cars for a family of 5, goes on holiday every few months, wears designer clothes regularly....and she said to me, 'to live in a standard below my own would be unthinkable'.

I found that surprising, esp since I couldnt help but think. Its her dad who must be earning between 70-80k a year. She just works part time on mimimum wage...

It did make me think though. If your used to a certain standard of living, would it be possible for you to live below what you're used to?

If your used to driving your own car. Could you survive without a car?
If your used to living in a three bedroom house, could you live in a two bedroom flat?
Could you live without the internet?
Could you live without your mobile phone?
Could you live without your takeaways, nice clothes etc?
Could you live without sky/cable TV?

How much below your 'standard of living' would you be willing to go?

Wasalaam

Everyone could handle a drop in comforts up to the point where one doesn't have the ready cash to indulge whims, pay one's way with friends or pay bills and taxes - and for those with more money and generally much bigger expenses that point might not be farther off than for those used to smaller budgets. So your friend is probably correct. It puts me in mind of a Jewish husband's obligation to look after his wife in the manner to which she is accustomed.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

If your used to driving your own car. Could you survive without a car? [b]Probably[/b]

If your used to living in a three bedroom house, could you live in a two bedroom flat? [b]Yeah[/b]

Could you live without the internet? [b]No![/b]

Could you live without your mobile phone? [b]Not in this day & age![/b]

Could you live without your takeaways, nice clothes etc? [b]Unlikely[/b]

Could you live without sky/cable TV? [b]Would be hard w/out sky! Terrestrial TV is boring and limited.[/b]

How much below your 'standard of living' would you be willing to go? [b]Depends on what/who for lol.[/b]

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

Yes, I could go without driving, I could go without living in a house as big as my parents. And yes to all the others.

Back in BLACK

^^^ you could but i reckon you would think about topping yourself.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

"Irfan.khan" wrote:
^^^ you could but i reckon you would think about topping yourself.

Is that directed @ me?

Back in BLACK

no santa clause

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

What makes you think i havent thought about it?

Topping myself wouldnt help.

Back in BLACK

i was suggesting you would be depressed or maybe bored.

"Irfan.khan" wrote:
i was suggesting you would be depressed or maybe bored.

So basicly nothing would have changed.

hence it wouldnt help.

Back in BLACK

"MuslimSister" wrote:

I sold my car about a month ago and it totally sucks without one. I have to literally grovel my dad for a lift.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
If your used to living in a three bedroom house, could you live in a two bedroom flat?

I hate living in a big house its just not very cosy.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
yep

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Yep, most days i dont even know where my phone is.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Takeaways no way, nice clothes yep.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
yep, tv is really borin these days

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

[b]NA[/b]

[b]Yes, coz ive just bought a 2 bedroom flat last yr and currently live in a 3 bedroom which is a nice size, but I don’t mind going to a 2 bedroom flat[/b]

[b]Few months back I would have said hell no! but now I can say yes![/b]?

Could you live without your mobile phone

[b]That would be no![/b]

[b]Takeaways – yes coz I eat them now and then, nice clothes – no coz presentation matters![/b]

[b]Yes easy![/b]

I don’t mind giving up certain things as long as I am happy with where I am living and who I am living with

When we went to Saudi as a family - cos of the screw ups with the agent guy. Myself, and my two younger sisters were in a single bed! Yeh, we kicked each other a lot but it was also a lot of fun....plus, on the nights where the temp was 40plus and the AC had stopped working, cos we couldnt sleep we just spent the night talking, playing games and fighting - which again was a lot of fun.

So, to be honest...if you're around loved one, happy, peaceful and content. It doesnt matter how great your standard of living may be.

As a child I lived in a two bedroom flat with my parents - I still think that it be possible for us to move back into that kind of living arrangement . (although, it'd mean three sisters in a single bed again).

On a personal note, I could live without the stuff listed above - yeh, I'd moan about travelling on public transort if I didnt have a car but I'd get over it....but I'm not sure about living without the net though. Also, I do appreciate my own space - somewhere to read, get ready, study, pray etc But I dont mind sharing that 'space' with a couple of people.

nope

depends how it looks and who am with lol

never

neverrrrr

takeaways mayb not, clothes dont matter reli

nope

not alot lol

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

If your used to driving your own car. Could you survive without a car? [b]Yes. [/b]
If your used to living in a three bedroom house, could you live in a two bedroom flat? [b]Hmm. Maybe.[/b]
Could you live without the internet? [b]Not now, maybe in another time/situation[/b]
Could you live without your mobile phone? [b]Yes. No-one loves me anyway Cray 2 [/b]
Could you live without your takeaways, nice clothes etc? [b]I guess so, don't buy "nice" clothes much and takeaways are just junk food anyway. [/b]
Could you live without sky/cable TV? [b]I guess. [/b]

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

If your used to driving your own car. Could you survive without a car? [b]I don't want a car unless I absolutely have to get one e.g. live in the countryside or something.[/b]
If your used to living in a three bedroom house, could you live in a two bedroom flat? [b]I share a one bedroom flat with 2 other guys and its fine.[/b]
Could you live without the internet? [b]If I had to go to internet cafe instead then yeah...otherwise I guess I'd just stop coming to the revival![/b]
Could you live without your mobile phone? [b]Some f us remember the time when no1 had mobile phones and WOW! human society still functioned ok. If you arranged top meet some1 somewhere, you couldn't call them to say 'actually we'll meet you somewhere else' or 'I'll be 10 mins late' but its not exactly life-changing.[/b]
Could you live without your takeaways, nice clothes etc? [b]I'd probably end up eating beans on toast a LOT, but that's ok it would save me a lot of money. Wearing Ihram made me realise that clothes are rubbish! I tend to shop cheaply anyway.[/b]
Could you live without sky/cable TV? [b]I've never had that, plus I don't have enough time for normal TV anyway (except match of the day)[/b]

Don't just do something! Stand there.

If your used to driving your own car. Could you survive without a car? I dont drive
If your used to living in a three bedroom house, could you live in a two bedroom flat? yes but inshallaj i wont be in that position
Could you live without the internet? yeah
Could you live without your mobile phone? maybe
Could you live without your takeaways, nice clothes etc? takeaways yes clothes maybe not
Could you live without sky/cable TV? YES

i wouldnt be willing to go below my standard of living

I didn't think of the question that way at all but it's a fun exercise.

Anyone can live without those things but we do build our habits around them. Fashion, takeaways and telly are the least important so I'll answer the rest of the list.

The car is both a blessing and a curse - very convenient but finding parking and avoiding fines never gets easier and it costs a small fortune to maintain. At some time possibly in the next ten years my eyesight won't make for safe driving, so new eyesight technologies notwithstanding I'm resigned to that. In any event there's a lot more fun to be had walking and using public transport.

Box rooms don't work for me because of the way I jump from one thing to another - without adequate space for storage and work I am very, very messy and neglectful.

The internet is another convenience but equally a distraction - necessary for some commitments, great for some types of research (eg football scores) and useful for staying in touch (generally, for my part, in the most perfunctory way) but on balance a hindrance! I was away for several days just now and on the one occasion I had internet my only real use for it was to take my turn in an online game. Something you notice without internet is there's lots to do and fun to be had. Every task you undertake becomes a piece of cake! A lark! A spree! It's very clear to see.

My mobile phone is probably the closest thing to a necessity on that list and something I rarely go without. Having said that, a ringing phone demands attention even at inconvenient times, and as I think you've said before, MuslimSister, losing reception or setting it down for a few days can be a relief and makes all the difference when you're enjoying some solitude.

Those are the things I wouldn't normally be without except, such as on Shabbat, by way of a break.

"Joie de Vivre" wrote:
Those are the things I wouldn't normally be without except, such as on Shabbat, by way of a break.
i think shabbat is an excellent practice, and something that Muslims (or anyone for that matter) should try from time to time, a moment of real 'escape' from the comforts (and stress) of modern life.

Saturdays are ALSO the best time to go to Brent Cross, as it is at its most empty!

My flat has had no heating or hot water for the past week (should be being fixed this morning, insha'Allah), and having a cold shower makes me VERY grateful that we live in a time where we (normally) have hot water strait from the tap. I would find that difficult to give up...but I know my Grandad and even my mum used to have to heat a bucket of water over the fire and then then whole family would take it in turns to use the bath water when they wanted 2 wash back in the day.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
My flat has had no heating or hot water for the past week (should be being fixed this morning, insha'Allah), and having a cold shower makes me VERY grateful that we live in a time where we (normally) have hot water strait from the tap.

In Russia they swim in freezing water during the winter because they believe its good for your health!

"Joie de Vivre" wrote:
I didn't think of the question that way at all but it's a fun exercise.

Anyone can live without those things but we do build our habits around them. Fashion, takeaways and telly are the least important so I'll answer the rest of the list.

The car is both a blessing and a curse - very convenient but finding parking and avoiding fines never gets easier and it costs a small fortune to maintain. At some time possibly in the next ten years my eyesight won't make for safe driving, so new eyesight technologies notwithstanding I'm resigned to that. In any event there's a lot more fun to be had walking and using public transport.

Box rooms don't work for me because of the way I jump from one thing to another - without adequate space for storage and work I am very, very messy and neglectful.

The internet is another convenience but equally a distraction - necessary for some commitments, great for some types of research (eg football scores) and useful for staying in touch (generally, for my part, in the most perfunctory way) but on balance a hindrance! I was away for several days just now and on the one occasion I had internet my only real use for it was to take my turn in an online game. Something you notice without internet is there's lots to do and fun to be had. Every task you undertake becomes a piece of cake! A lark! A spree! It's very clear to see.

My mobile phone is probably the closest thing to a necessity on that list and something I rarely go without. Having said that, a ringing phone demands attention even at inconvenient times, and as I think you've said before, MuslimSister, losing reception or setting it down for a few days can be a relief and makes all the difference when you're enjoying some solitude.

Its too long to read sorry.

It's ok, no one is telling you to read it.

I made that comment to imply that i want his posts to be shorter.

You're posts are short and i dont read them, deal with it Blum 3

Thank you ladies!

"Ya'qub" wrote:
Saturdays are ALSO the best time to go to Brent Cross, as it is at its most empty!

Lol

Ya'qub, kudos for making it through the week without hot water in this weather.

I once stayed with a friend who lived in a large (and beautiful) squat. In the basement, a concrete maze without light, someone had attached a shower head to a random bit of piping. You could hear the rats scuttling around but not see them. That was a really unpleasant cold shower.

"Angel" wrote:

Lol
that was funny

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

I've grown up listening to my nan/mum telling me stories of how they were brought up 'six in one double bed'...kinda like the grandparents of charlie in the chocolate factory.

But I think, if you're not used to a certain standard of living its no biggie...but its harder to go down. I have an uncle who was also one of the 'six' in the bed...who now changes his car every few month and actualy makes fun out of people who sit on the floor or dont use a knife and fork properly! (although he grew up without those 'luxuries')

"Angel" wrote:

Do you think i care?

EDITED BY ADMIN

The ony time i remember sharing a bed was in pakistan when my sisters bed broke in the middle of the night lol. She spent most of the night sleeping on me instead of her side of the bed :evil:

Our central heating/hot water has gone bust. I am soo annoyed, that is something i CANNOT live without, things we take for granted. Thank you Allah (swt) for giving us these luxuries.

Pages