Improve your driving

Salaam

I've had two driving lessons and my steering is aweful. I'm talking [b]turning-left-at-7 miles-an-hour-and-nearly-crashing-into-a-tree-on-the-right-hand-side-pavement[/b] aweful. Not to mention winding from side to side as I cruise down a road, at walking speed. After [u]much[/u] practise I move a little right to avoid a parked car and end up steering smoothly out of the way whilst managing a decent speed, just straighten up and there I am, driving in a straight line...in the right hand lane.

So I hit on a way to improve my steering. :idea: Playing driving games! Previously I hated those games (because I was always so bad at steering. Crashing into virtual cones and smacking into virtual kerbs. Now I can do it for real!)

Anyway I found this online game with realistic enough steering,
[url] and after a 'few' laps I've got my time down to:

[b]01.29.688[/b]

I think I understand how to steer now. Previously when I turned the wheel I expected the car to change direction and move in a straight line. Now I realise, when I turn the wheel the car changes direction and moves in a curve, a bit like a polar co-ordinates graph.

So play the game, post your times, and above all drive safely.

Speaking of driving..

A friend of mine refused to get married to a guy on the basis that he (at 28 ) still hadnt passed his driving test.

Apparently this conveys lack of initiative, power and 'manliness'.

In her view its OK for women not to drive, cos their not 'wired' that way.

To what extent are her views accurate?

i'm guessin you mean a 28-year-old, not a cool-looking 2-year-old...

i can't drive and I have no wish to while I still live in London and earn a rubbishy wage.

I'll only start to learn when A) I'm richer (insha'Allah) or Dirol move further outskirts.

all my friends who have cars are SKINT.

on the FEW occasions its necessary, I can get a mate to give me a lift or hire a taxi for a one-off.

IMO ur friend should marry someone with common sense who's not a poser (i.e. this guy you mentioned sounds perfect!)

[b]edit: It just occurred to me that if this guy is 28-yrs-old and has been TRYING to pass his test for over 10 year, then maybe, yeah, he sounds a bit useless lol![/b]

Don't just do something! Stand there.

That driving game is not all that accurate - steering wheels do center themselves, something that game does not do.

@MS - her life. She can be as picky or unpicky as she likes. She is the one to live with the consequences.

Not everyone wants or needs to be career minded/drive cars/climb everest.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
i(i.e. this guy you mentioned sounds perfect!)

Lol. On what basis?

I dont know him, and you certainly dont know him either.

On the basis that his biggest "flaw" is that he does not drive.

People have many flaws. if that is the worst one, then the rest can't be that bad.

(Or she just used that as a get out clause...)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i'm petrified of driving, dont think i'll be driving for another good few years. and i am the worst person to sit with. i keep on thinking the driver is gona crash into the person next to him/her etc. i really cant picture myself behind the wheel.

i hope this fear goes.

I can't wait to get behind teh wheels!

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

I don't think I am gonna take lessons til I can afford a relatively nice Beemer.

Would make an ideal first car.

oh no, the death rates are gona shoot up once your on the roads. you're a hazard Bliss!

"Noor" wrote:
oh no, the death rates are gona shoot up once your on the roads. you're a hazard Bliss!

U just confirmed my number one target!

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

"Noor" wrote:
i'm petrified of driving, dont think i'll be driving for another good few years. and i am the worst person to sit with. i keep on thinking the driver is gona crash into the person next to him/her etc. i really cant picture myself behind the wheel.

i hope this fear goes.

your a hazard :evil:

but its fun scaring you when ur sat in the front :twisted: haha

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

Dude, dont fret - steering and turning in the road..particularly right turns are tricky in 1st two lessons.....two or three more and its all easy peasy

i was well lazy in starting lessons...started in summer and now hopefully ready (do dua!)

computer games defo dont help........i had to get rid of habit of cutting corners! and now i got habit of one hand driving and crossing my arms over....havnt passed yet lol. but that dont stop me from driving.

Just keep taking lessons Dude, its easy

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

steering isnt really an issue, it just happens naturally but at 1st it can be tricky bt yyour instructor will have a good way on teaching you it
the hard part is clutch control on your 1st lessons

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

if i was to tke my driving test again id def fail

picked up to many bad habits

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

I didn't like the game, too unrealistic, I like Need For Speed games better Blum 3

The only problem I had with steering when learning was that sometimes I used to go too much to the left or too much to the right, I just couldn't drive straight so my instructor had to keep correcting me all the time.

Driving lessons is good for learning the basics but when you've learnt that try and get a family member, cousin to teach you. Turning was something one of my instructors was obsessed with. Now sometimes when I'm speeding towards an amber light and there's a turn up ahead, it feels like two of my wheels are in the air Dirol

"MuslimBro" wrote:
I didn't like the game, too unrealistic, I like Need For Speed games better Blum 3

:?

Does anyone else see the contradiction in that sentence?

"You" wrote:
Does anyone else see the contradiction in that sentence?

Or in other words I prefer NFS.

The only thing which I think is unrealistic in NFS is the turnings, other than that it's fine. Have you played the latest NFS game (NFS Pro-Street) it's their most realistic game they've made.

most realistic driving game is either Burnout or MarioKart.

Can't decide which.

most boring driving 'game' is Gran Turismo.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
most realistic driving game is either Burnout or [b]MarioKart[/b].

Are you kidding me!

Realistic games are [url= Motorsport 2[/url] and [url= 4[/url]. I don't like [i]really[/i] realistic games coz I always speed into corners and end up going off the track.

I'm not a racing game fan, but watch out for [url= Paradise[/url] coming out next year. This should be alot realistic then their previous game.

@Mbro: Neither of those two are realistic.

There is the GTR series followd by Gran Turismo which does have some aspects realism (most things apart from damage...). People find it boring as it is a driving simulator far more than a racing game. The rest are a lot less realistic.

Forza is not realistic IMO.

NFS is akin to ice skating. Burnout has good crashes, good handling.

No idea where to put it on the realism scale as the cars are imaginary, but it would IMO rank way higher than NFS and probably Forza too.

ofcourse you can like the other games, but that does not make them realistic.

"Dawud" wrote:
I've had two driving lessons and my steering is aweful. I'm talking turning-left-at-7 miles-an-hour-and-nearly-crashing-into-a-tree-on-the-right-hand-side-pavement aweful.

You might have your foot on the clutch while your turning into the round. If thats the case the car starts to go too fast and you might find it hard to control it.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"You" wrote:
@Mbro: Neither of those two are realistic.

Have you played the games... how are they not realistic?

Is it the look of the car, the sound of it, the tracks... you can even see the tiny rain droplets, so which is it?

PS. Did you know Bill Gates fav. video game is PGR.

"Naz" wrote:
You might have your foot on the clutch while your turning...

You shouldn't have your foot on the clutch when turning, it should be either before or after. If you were in a driving test, this would count as a minor fault.

I was talking handling, not the looks.

They may look real. They may have pretty rain effects (whicha re not realistic - I don't drive but even I know that in moderate rain driving at even 60mph the visibility is nonexistent!), but for a racing game, the handling is the main thing.

Next is collisions. The final thing is about how pretty it is.

I would not trust a world that comes out of Bill G's mouth. Him pimping a product sold by his company? whod'a thunk it?

PS "realistic" does not always mean "good". Sometimes (all the time?) you just want a racer that allows massive powerslides.

Trust me the handling is really good, that's why I don't like it. With older NFS games you could turn while doing 100mph while in these games you have to slow down to a decent speed, if you don't then you end up off the track (which happens to me alot hence me not liking it).

Yes, the visibility is poor when you're driving (really fast) while its raining, that's only if you're driving the car from the view of the driver, but most people change the view so they're outside behind the car. Also when there's rain, sleet or snow, the handling of the car is reduced.

Next collisions, def. with NFS Pro-Street you will take damage during collisions, so if you have a serious crash then you're out. Even if you have some minor damage to your car, this will stay when you're taking part in the next race.

I had probs steering at the intial stage of learning, i would kind of go over my line, well enough to hit the car on my right!

It all comes with practice, dont think comp games help much as you arent physically moving the steering wheel...

Can everyone pray i pass my test please Biggrin

I had nfs pro-street on my pc but i needed a pixel shader graphics card, so it was deleted only for me to find out days later that i had found an emulator of it.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Whats with the cows on the side of the road? :shock: It is very unrealistic as you never see a cow on the side of the road at all!!

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

Depends where you live or if you take A roads rather than moterways

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Pages