Dhul-Qarnayn

Who is this guy? I know he is a prophet in Islam, I have been told that many muslims think he is Alexander the Great. Is there any evidence for that?

While reading one of the link I posted yesterday (Gog and magog thread), there were alot of stories where the character alexander was used in similar circumstances as Dhulqurnain.

Dhul Qurnain means two horns, which is the type of helmet worn by Alexander. However even Musa (as) has been referred to as dhul Qurnain.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
While reading one of the link I posted yesterday (Gog and magog thread), there were alot of stories where the character alexander was used in similar circumstances as Dhulqurnain.

Dhul Qurnain means two horns, which is the type of helmet worn by Alexander. However even Musa (as) has been referred to as dhul Qurnain.

But why would the quran talk about one prophet as two different people?

A Persian emperor has also been identified as Zulqarnain. I forget which one.

"irfghan" wrote:

Khshayarshan?

"Dave" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:

Khshayarshan?

Huh? Whaaa? Is that even a name?

It's one of the more well known ones.

"irfghan" wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:

Khshayarshan?

Huh? Whaaa? Is that even a name?

It's one of the more well known ones.

He's probably the most well known - gave the greeks hell for a couple decades and expanded the Persian empire to it's greatest extent.

zulqarnain dis name is mentioned in surah kahaf
hes known as a just ruler who believed in 1 god and was a kind hearted man stated in the quran
alexander was know to be a polytheist...so i dnt think they cud be linked i've also heard of cyrus a persian conqueror whos is most likely to be known as zulqarnain in the quran coz of match of personality.
thats what i think so we shouldnt say somethings definate coz the quran has not mentioned any name .

"irfghan" wrote:
Xerxes Dave. Xerxis.

:roll:

I thought it was politically correct to call him Khshayarshan now...

And you misspelled the name the second time

"kuri/19" wrote:
zulqarnain dis name is mentioned in surah kahaf
hes known as a just ruler who believed in 1 god and was a kind hearted man stated in the quran
alexander was know to be a polytheist...so i dnt think they cud be linked i've also heard of cyrus a persian conqueror whos is most likely to be known as zulqarnain in the quran coz of match of personality.
thats what i think so we shouldnt say somethings definate coz the quran has not mentioned any name .

Cyrus. That's the one.

Not exactly The One, but the Persian candidate.

what do u mean not exactley?
he was the king

"Dave" wrote:

I thought it was politically correct to call him Khshayarshan now...

Not here.

"Dave" wrote:

And you misspelled the name the second time

Where?

"kuri/19" wrote:
what do u mean not exactley?
he was the king

A Persian emperor is considered by some to be Dhulqarnain. Cyrus is that Persian emperor.

PS should we all settle on one spelling for 'Dhul-Qarnayn'?

right dhul qarnain
yea cyrus waz an emperor and i just read somewhere now that some darius 1 waz an emperor of persia aswell and could be linked wiv dhul-qarnain

Its 'Dhul Qurnayn'. Note the u after the Q.

This name is more of a title, and titles can be applied to different people over time.

Especially in arabic, where any verb can form a noun and vice versa with a few changes. It has logical etymology for the derrivation of words.

Anyone who has studies arabic even to a basic standard will know about the root word which can be changed to a verb every root word will lead to alot of words.

But the Quran only (I think) states one person as 'Dhul Qurnayn'. and that is who we are discussing here. It is confusing as other people have also been given the title.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Hadrat Dhul Qarnayn was NOT Alexander the polytheist sodomite!

Even regarding his prophethood there is a difference of opinion.

Some scholars maintain He was a Prophet, others maintain He was an extremely pious upright king.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Medievalist" wrote:
Hadrat Dhul Qarnayn was NOT Alexander the polytheist sodomite!

Even regarding his prophethood there is a difference of opinion.

Some scholars maintain He was a Prophet, others maintain He was an extremely pious upright king.

He certainly was no polythiest sodomite.

However Alexander may not have been one either. History can be corrupted.

"Admin" wrote:

However Alexander may not have been one either. History can be corrupted.

That's definitely true - the gay pride people went nuts in the early nineties "outing" famous gays. They said Alexander, Napoleon, and Hitler were gay - and if you tried to argue with them about it their little liberal buddies would jump in to act "tolerant" and say things like "does it [i]really[/i] matter?"

damn liberals

always tryin to mess with perfectly good...

ANYWAY.

They were pretty unsuccessful with Napoleon considering the man had more affairs than he had German freistaaten under his control, Hitler was herding homosexuals into concentration camps with a single minded devotion - so few people paid attention to them on that point.

Alexander was a different story - considering it was so long ago, and there was a practice back then for Greek soldiers to... bond... they figured he was gay - there is so little evidence though I still consider it another homosexual hijacking of history.