Eid ul Fitr 2007

Salaam

So not long now…

Is anyone excited… or is Eid no big deal?

Does Eid feel like a ‘special’ or 'joyous' occasion?

What do you normally do on Eid?

What will you be wearing? Does everyone buy a new outfit especially for Eid? Do any brothers wear shalwar kameez on Eid?

Anyone give Eid cards? Or presents to family and friends on Eid?

Anyone here receive any money? Anyone here give any money?

Has anyone spent Eid in a different country? How did it compare?

Please share your thoughts.

Wasalaam

"Imaani" wrote:
Salaam

So not long now…

What will you be wearing? Does everyone buy a new outfit especially for Eid? Do any brothers wear shalwar kameez on Eid?

Wasalaam

FIRST, MORE IMPORTANTLY WHEN IS EID?
ALOT OF MOSQUES HAVE ALREADY ANNOUNCED IT AS SATURDAY.
WHATS YOUR LOCAL MOSQUE SAYING?

ALSO, TO ADD TO IMAANI'S QUESTIONS:
WHAT FOOD DO YOU GUYS MAKE/EAT ON EID?

(sorry about the capitals)

we're going to find out tommorow inshaa'Allah.

i no it's wrong to say but i aint looking forward to eid.. probably due to ramadan ending so fast and me not making the most out of it, khayr. on chaand raat and the morning of eid i may feel different.

as for new clothes, got some new jilbabs but no matching heejabs, betta go and get some! no eid cards this year, might be getting money thats only if eid's on a friday as it's my birthday on the same day, either way not too fussed. might give lil sis some money depending on how generous i',m feeling.
eid is spent with the family, in the morning pray eid salah, come back eat and the chill with the family, day after don't have a clue what i'm doing, probably college work! i'm so behind!

as for food, the usual lot.

Eid for me will be a normal day but obviously there is the Eid prayer and loads of eating involved. On Eid I'm normally the chauffeur, I drop family members off at different locations.

I will be wearing my shalwar (which I wore for last Eid), I used to buy Eid clothes every year but not anymore. I don't do Eid cards but texts work for me. I've received £100 from my dad even though I'm 20 years old Biggrin

If Eid is on a Friday then I will be attending uni in my shalwar.

Ed, how comes your mosque has already announced Eid, I thought Eid should only be announced AFTER the sighting of the moon.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
I will be attending uni in my shalwar.

just the shalwar? :shock:

Quote:
Ed, how comes your mosque has already announced Eid, I thought Eid should only be announced AFTER the sighting of the moon.

thats pakis for ya!

"Noor" wrote:

I knew someone would pick up. So shalwar is the top and kameez is the bottom right? If so then..... oops :oops:

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

I knew someone would pick up. So shalwar is the top and kameez is the bottom right? If so then..... oops :oops:

it is a conundrum!

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

"MuslimBro" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

lol, nope. kameez is the top and shalwar is the bottom.

"MuslimBro" wrote:
Eid for me will be a normal day but obviously there is the Eid prayer and loads of eating involved. On Eid I'm normally the chauffeur, I drop family members off at different locations.

I will be wearing my shalwar (which I wore for last Eid), I used to buy Eid clothes every year but not anymore. I don't do Eid cards but texts work for me. I've received £100 from my dad even though I'm 20 years old Biggrin

WELL what can i say.... you should ideally announce Eid after 29th fast is complete etc.... but nowadays logic is that alot of mosques follow the observatories who state that moon cannot be sighted by naked eye on thursday night so therefore eid cant be on friday, thus Eid is on Saturday. If you follow me.
Even if that is the logic there is no harm to say Eid is most likely on saturday according to the observatories but we will wait till thursday night in case moon is sighted.
Otherwise it creates confusion, like it has done here and elsewhere.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
WELL what can i say.... you should ideally announce Eid after 29th fast is complete etc.... but nowadays logic is that alot of mosques follow the observatories who state that moon cannot be sighted by naked eye on thursday night so therefore eid cant be on friday, thus Eid is on Saturday. If you follow me.
Even if that is the logic there is no harm to say Eid is most likely on saturday according to the observatories but we will wait till thursday night in case moon is sighted.
Otherwise it creates confusion, like it has done here and elsewhere.

I'm confused. So the moon can't be sighted on a thursday night... I didn’t know that. How come?

But then it [i]may [/i]be sighted on a thursday night... confused.

Mum said something about how Eid is never celebrated on a Friday, but she didn’t know why. Someone said it was coz some mosques make an issue of having 2 khutba’s on one day???

Everyone round here seems to have decided it's on Saturday too.

"MuslimBro" wrote:

My lil bro is wearing shalwar kameez this Eid too like he does most Eid's. No other guys in my family do though.

You get £100! That's a lot. Do all of you kids get the same amount?

Don’t get no money from no-one, which is fine, but it wouldn’t hurt if Dad gave us even a fiver or so. My grandma used to always give us money, but she’s passed away now. It wasn’t ever about the money, just really very sweet of her. I give my lil bro some money but that’s it. I can't remember if I did last year though as he kicked up quite a fuss about doing the khatham/dua. The food wasn't ready and he needed the loo and refused to make wudhu again as it would mess up his hair or something. Is it true that if there are male present in the house, then a female's dua doesn't count? If so, anyone know why?

We’ve never really given Eid cards either, I can imagine one of my uncles coming out with something like ‘It’s not Christmas you know’. Normally just text friends, but I’m seeing a friend tomorrow as I won’t see her on Eid coz she’s spending it at her in-laws. Her little boy thinks Eid is “soooooo boring” so I’ve bought him a little something and will get a card to take over tomorrow too inshallah. Seeing another friend on Sunday, will take a box of mitai and a card round.

I wouldn’t say Eid is boring, but it’s not really special either. It’s an ok day, that’s all really. I do feel as though it should mean more though.

Anyone here decorate their house on Eid? We don’t.

First day is always spent visiting and entertaining family and close relatives. About 5 houses. Second day is spent seeing friends and just chilling. At home.

Always wear new suits on Eid, nothing really OTT though, but I sew my own suits and erm have still got both to sew. Will do so now, before Mum starts shouting. My sister has got her hair cut for Eid. I was supposed to be meeting her in town when she texted me saying ‘dnt gt scared wn u c me yeh bt ive gt a propa fringe cut. dnt hav a fit yeh I can stil clip it bk so mum n dad wont no so dnt stress yeh’... you know when you just feel, I don’t know, worn out. I was like, I don’t care, just don’t get me involved in this. Mashallah she looks very beautiful but I didn’t tell her. She’s done a pretty good job at clipping it back these past two days but I doubt she’s gonna clip it back on Eid, in which case cue fireworks.

Never spent Eid elsewhere, but from cousins who spent it in Pakistan one time, they were like ‘If you think Eid is boring here, don’t EVER spend it there’. Ok.

We always make the boring usual stuff. Brown rice with lamb, chicken curry. Vegetable samosas, lamb spring rolls, chicken kebabs, and maybe some pakoras. Not fussed about sweet dishes, as long as we’ve got some trifle, normally have at least three sweet dishes though, will prob have pumpkin rice pudding as an extra as Dad got a little carried away growing pumpkins in his allotment.

"Imaani" wrote:
Is it true that if there are male present in the house, then a female's dua doesn't count? If so, anyone know why?

sis, where did you hear that from? it aint true.

"Imaani" wrote:

Mum said something about how Eid is never celebrated on a Friday, but she didn’t know why. Someone said it was coz some mosques make an issue of having 2 khutba’s on one day???

maybe shaykh salim ghisa can shed some light on this topic. from what i've read, you don't have to pray the juma salah if eid is on a friday as u wud have prayd eid salah in the morning and listened to the khutba. but i dnt no how accurate that is.

saudis have announced eid is tomorrow.

n so have ARY digital
i wana do it on saturday thoooooo Sad Sad

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

"Imaani" wrote:
Salaam

So not long now…

Wasalaam

I've spent Eid ul udah and Eid ul Fitr in Saudi. I've also spent an Eid in Pakistan...they were great experiences.

However, the best Eid is with family. For me, Eid isnt something I really look forward to - its depressing to know that Ramadan is over and we wont get that collective spiritual feeling for another 11months.

I do go all out for Eid - mainly cos I get a kick out of dressing up. I brought my suit from Green Street last week and have already accessorised it. ...I have very few opportunities in the year to dress up.

We'll prob visit our extended family on Eid - up north where we always do.

Annoyingly the majority of the Mosques here have announced Eid tomorrow.

More annoyingly, I havent booked the day of work tomorrow.

Even more annoyingly, my extended family from B'ham/manchester are doing it on Saturday.

So...I'll be in work tomorrow. NOT fasting....and will celebrate Eid on Saturday with family.

And I dont have it in me to go to work dressed up - we have culture day next week and I dont even want to go in my asian clothes on that day when all the teachers are dressed up in their traditional garms. The only time I leave the house in my asian clothes is when its dark, I'm in mr car and I'm going to attend Tarawih at the top of my road.

Eid Mubarak everyone - whenever you're doing it.

[size=24][b][color=red]EID MUBARAK TO EVERYONE[/color][/b][/size]
[size=18][b]No matter where you are, [/b][/size]
[size=16][b]No matter when your doing it[/b].[/size]
[size=14][b]Have a good time.[/b][/size]

Back in BLACK

Eid Mubarak to all from me and The Revival
Enjoy!

we're doing eid on saturday.

[size=27][b][color=red]E[/color][color=pink]I[/color][color=indigo]D[/color] [color=orange]M[/color][color=red]A[/color][color=green]B[/color][color=indigo]R[/color][color=yellow]O[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=blue]K[/color][/b][/size]

[img]

whenever you're celebrating it.

Biggrin

[size=18][color=darkred]E[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=orange]d[/color] [color=brown]M[/color][color=yellow]u[/color][color=green]b[/color][color=olive]a[/color][color=cyan]r[/color][color=blue]a[/color][color=violet]k[/color]![/size]

We're celebrating tomorrow, anyone doing it on Saturday?

"Imaani" wrote:
You get £100! That's a lot. Do all of you kids get the same amount?

You calling me a kid!? :shock: how dare you. I don't always get this much money, dad was feeling generous this year. My younger siblings got £50.

"Imaani" wrote:

The Prophet said that if Eid is on a Friday then Jummah prayer becomes optional but I will still do it. So people can pray Zuhr instead of the Jummah prayer, nevertheless I will still pray Jummah.

yes, moi is doing it on saturday.

i kept all my rozeh so far nd i was glad 2 hear eid is on a saturday 5 jumeh rozeh i rekon this is the 1st time in years my mosque has done all 30 days of ramadan amazing. newhoo whats:
EID MABROOK
as noor sed b4 cant be botherd quoting it serious typo

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Eid Mubarak to everyone!!

We're celebrating it on Saturday.

MuslimBro, I didn't mean it like that. We're all kids! Anyway why do you want to grow up for. Stay young!

"Noor" wrote:
"Imaani" wrote:
Is it true that if there are male present in the house, then a female's dua doesn't count? If so, anyone know why?

sis, where did you hear that from? it aint true.

I don't mean any dua, but for example on Eid day in the morning when someone reads a dua and blesses the food and everyone's listening to it, can that be done or be led by a female instead of a male, even when male are present? I've heard a couple of people say that such a dua should always be led by a male unless none are present at the time. Not sure if I'm making sense.

im not sure but most families i kno thats what is usually the scenario where women arent allowed to lead if a male is present but maybe its cultural thing

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

oh ryt, i dunno. my granma makes dua. i don't think it really matters, but if there is a male in the house it only makes sense if he makes the dua. ask shaykh salim ghisa for further clarification.

Women cant lead prayer for men.

They can lead for other women tho.

And no Imaani... that aint true.

Back in BLACK

its complex matter because in a lot of these gender scenarios culture clsahes quite a lot so it sometimes is difficult

"Seraphim" wrote:
They can lead for other women tho.

there's a difference of opinion on that matter.

i think they can in an all women congregation

Pages