Ethnic minorities 'more stressed' about exams

[b]Ethnic minorities 'more stressed' about exams[/b]

Poorer pupils and those from black or Asian backgrounds are more likely to suffer exam-related stress than their classmates, claims new research.

The study, published in the latest edition of the British Journal of Educational Psychology, looked at what factors affect so-called "test anxiety". It also highlighted gender differences, saying girls felt much more anxious about impending examinations than boys.

The study, by David Putwain from Edge Hill University, looked at 690 year 10 pupils and 658 year 11 pupils from schools across the north of the UK. They were assessed in terms of 'worry' - about failing and their future prospects - and 'emotionality' - a measure of feelings of panic or tension.

Dr Putwain, a psychology lecturer, told EducationGuardian.co.uk that previous studies have shown a "clear link" between higher levels of anxiety and lower exam performance.

His research shows a complex picture across different ethnic groups. Although pupils from Asian, black or other ethnic backgrounds registered higher test anxiety than white pupils, this was not a reliable indicator of academic success. Asian students outperform all other ethnic groups in British compulsory education, whereas black students continually under-perform.

Dr Putwain said that more work is needed to understand these interactions. "For British black students, it could be that the anxiety we see reflects their low expectations of themselves and an awareness that historically they have performed badly. On the other hand, it may be anxiety that causes them to under-perform in the first place."

The varying levels of test anxiety might be attributed to the value placed on educational success by different ethnic groups, he said. The fact that girls are more anxious about their exams than boys correlates with previous studies, most recently by the Sutton Trust, that found young women take their academic future more seriously.

Dr Putwain also stressed the importance of what he called cultural capital: "Students whose families have fostered their educational development, for example by reading with them when they were younger, have a higher sense of ethicality and tend to be less anxious about their exams than those from more disadvantaged backgrounds," he said.

I think its coz of the pressure that we face from our parents to do well. If you come out with really crappy results you get that look (some of you probs know what i am on about). Also i think asians kids are more pushed by parents when it comes to education then any other ethnic minority group. I dont blame the parents coz they only want the best for their kids.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"ßeast" wrote:
[url= son got a 'B'!?![/url]

Lol

That can be so true.

However I did not get the other named references apart from "Mr Owen's Son plays for Liverpool".

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Father: Mr Sinha's son got all "A"s.

Mother: That was because he only took two A levels. Our son did 5 A levels in one sitting.

"ßeast" wrote:
Father: Mr Sinha's son got all "A"s.

Mother: That was because he only took two A levels. Our son did 5 A levels in one sitting.

no, I get the wording, but is Mr Sinha's son someone famous as well?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I don't think so.

Unless it was some Indian politician at the time.

Probs their next door neighbour hence the shame, pretty funny that!

Without stress there's no pressure.

Without pressure there's no chance of success.

IMO, I dont think ethnic minorities worry enough about their exams.

My brother spent all his study leave dossing. So my dad locked him at home, made him cut off from his mates, threatened to make him repeat his A levels, threatened to make him bold....as a result of this 'stress', the boy studied hard and got two B's and a C...and got into a good course in one of the good Uni's in London.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
....threatened to make him bold....

what does this mean

wash the clothes (Bold non-biological!)?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
My brother spent all his study leave dossing. So my dad locked him at home, made him cut off from his mates, threatened to make him repeat his A levels, threatened to make him bold....as a result of this 'stress', the boy studied hard and got two B's and a C...and got into a good course in one of the good Uni's in London.

Your dad reminds me of my uncles and family. The only reason i'm in higher education is because of them.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Without stress there's no pressure.

Without pressure there's no chance of success.

IMO, I dont think ethnic minorities worry enough about their exams.

I think that’s just guys in general. They have this laid back attitude and are far more concerned with looking cool and doing stupid things as a result to look cool :roll: .
Girls have got a lot more common sense and have got their head screwed on and know what they want to achieve in life at a earlier age. Wink

"Naz" wrote:
and have got their head screwed on and know what they want to achieve in life at a earlier age. Wink

sorry sis but i have to disagree with you on that one. i don't think i've ever been this confused as i am now.

"Noor" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
and have got their head screwed on and know what they want to achieve in life at a earlier age. Wink

sorry sis but i have to disagree with you on that one. i don't think i've ever been this confused as i am now.

then your one of the exceptions lol
I think everybody sometime in their life goes through a stage where they feel they dont know what to do with their life. Been there. Try talking to your family and friends about your concerns and see what they say.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:
....threatened to make him bold....

what does this mean

wash the clothes (Bold non-biological!)?

Lol. Sp.

I meant bald.

My brothers vanity lies in his hair.

However, after returning from Umrah, he's kept the bald hair look. So, I doubt shaving all his hair off will still be considered a threat to him.

"Naz" wrote:
I think everybody sometime in their life goes through a stage where they feel they dont know what to do with their life. Been there. Try talking to your family and friends about your concerns and see what they say.

i think i'm going through some spiritual phase, my body is physically here but my heart and soul is somewhere else. as for taking to my cuzins, they're all in exactly the same boat as me and as for friends, they'll think i'm on some next planet! we're all missing our shaykh like mad, ramadan is coming up, insha'Allah the barakah of that month will give us some peace.

please remember me and my cuzies in your dua's!

"Noor" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:

i think i'm going through some spiritual phase, my body is physically here but my heart and soul is somewhere else. as for taking to my cuzins, they're all in exactly the same boat as me and as for friends, they'll think i'm on some next planet! we're all missing our shaykh like mad, ramadan is coming up, insha'Allah the barakah of that month will give us some peace.

please remember me and my cuzies in your dua's!

was thinking more along the lines of talking to your parents. They are older, wiser and experienced more life then you have. Maybe they were in the same boat as you are when they were younger. Tell them how you feel, maybe they could offer a solution.

lol. yah ryt! mum will think i'm a right nutter and then she'll defo won't let me go to all these events. there's only certain people who you can connect to.

"Noor" wrote:
lol. yah ryt! mum will think i'm a right nutter and then she'll defo won't let me go to all these events. there's only certain people who you can connect to.

lol i know where you coming from my whole family thinks ive lost the plot (except for my dad). My mum always telling me to stay away fron places where religious stuff is taking place. She thinks theyr are gonna brainwash me into being terrorist :roll:

There must be someone who you can confide in.

"Naz" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

lol i know where you coming from my whole family thinks ive lost the plot (except for my dad). My mum always telling me to stay away fron places where religious stuff is taking place. She thinks theyr are gonna brainwash me into being terrorist :roll:

my mum used to have no problems with me going to pubs, clubs, parties etc in which SO many dangerous things. yet whenever i go out to meet my friends now (all we do is go to the mosque and then go for dinner) she makes a big point to 'be careful!' lol

Don't just do something! Stand there.

it's not that she thinks any is brainwashing me cz all the events i go to are all hard core sunni events and allahmdulilah my aqeedah is firm and no1 is gona brainwash me. the thing is, my mum is worried about our spiritual state, she thinks we'll go a lil to into halwa mode and will there4 go doo lally! eg: cuzin came back from 1st camp or 2nd and she didn't speak to anyone, totally disconnected herself from dunya and her mum thought she went nutters.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Naz" wrote:
"Noor" wrote:

my mum used to have no problems with me going to pubs, clubs, parties etc in which SO many dangerous things. yet whenever i go out to meet my friends now (all we do is go to the mosque and then go for dinner) she makes a big point to 'be careful!' lol

thats one thing i dont understand about non Muslim parents. If there is child goes out gets drunk as a skunk and strolls in at 3/4 in the morning or sometimes they don’t bother coming home at they don’t have a problem with it. They view it as normal. But if their child starts taking an interest in religion they are so against it. Islam is portrayed as this violate religion by the media and there are a lot of racist and ignorant ppl out there and she probs scared that your going to get jumped coz of your religion.