celebrating B'DAYS

102 posts / 0 new
Last post

"yashmaki" wrote:
That's no justification for milad though is it? We have all the year to discuss sirah why pick out a certain day and exalt it to a level Islam doesn't prescribe to? .

some people celebrate Milad monthly

some do it yearly-

again-it aint no big deal

"yashmaki" wrote:
irf the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) never celebrated milad :idea:

According to Admin, the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did celebrate Milad.

"irfghan" wrote:
"yashmaki" wrote:
irf the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) never celebrated milad :idea:

According to Admin, the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) did celebrate Milad.

he did by fasting on MONDAYS-CELEBRATING the DAY he was born

Monday was the day he was born

so he SINGLED out Monday for fasting

he did not fast on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday etc cos Tuesday, Friday, Saturday was NOT the day he was born

HE singled out Monday

which is why I dont know why people have an issue with singling out one Month in the year

"yashmaki" wrote:

let me correct u there pls

Imam Jallaluddin Suyuti states in his famous book 'Al-Hawi lil-Fatawi' that when the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) migrated to medina, he distributed meat to the people...people thought this might be for his haqeeqa, but Imam Suyuti confirms this points and says 'No', the Prophet was distributing the meat in celebration of his birth. So the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) DID CELEBRATE HIS BIRTH.

And as we know the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) fasted on every Mondays, when asked why he said its because it was the day he was born. Again the Prophet REMEMBERED AND CELEBRATED HIS BIRTH.

The only thing that changed over the years was the method of the celebration- the ACT AND PERMISSIBILITY of celebrating the birth of the Prophet was never in doubt.
How do Muslims celebrate it today? Lets ask Imam Suyuti again shall we:

Translated from Imam as-Suyuti's 'Al-Hawi lil-Fatawi' 2 vols. (Beirut: Dar al-Kitab al-`Arabi, n.d.) 1:251-252.

"Praise be to God and peace be upon those of His servants He has elected. The question has been asked about the celebration of Mawlid al-Nabawi in the month of Rabi` al-awwal: what is the ruling concerning it according to shari`a, and is it praiseworthy or blameworthy, and does the one who practices it obtain reward for it or no?

"I answer that the origin of the celebration of Mawlid, which consists in the gathering of people, the recitation of Qur'an, the narrating of accounts related to the beginnings of the Prophet (s) and the miracles that have been told as taking place upon his birth, and then in the giving of food to the people who eat and leave without adding anything to this, -- [b]*this is one of the praiseworthy innovations* [huwa min al-bida` al-hasana] [/b][u][b]for the doing of which one obtains reward, [/b][/u]because of the respect shown to the greatness of the Prophet (s) and the demonstration of joy and happiness at the news of his noble birth."

There are at least 50 classical scholars of Islam who say celebrating the Mawlid is permissible! So why the hell do we keep banging on 'is it allowed or not', 'it might be bidah', 'did the prophet do it?' When the likes of Imam Shafi, Imam Asqalani, Imam Suyuti, Imam Nawawi, Imam Ibn Kathir, Imam Ibn Jawzi, Imam Qastallani, Imam Zurqani, Imam Alusi, Imam Damishqi, Imam Mullah Ali Qari.................the list is endless...they all support it and say it is allowed, permissible, praisworthy and rewarding to celebrate it!

Who dares to say that these GIANT scholars of Islam are all wrong, misguided and are people of evil bidah.

So ppl, get a grip- dont waste your time arguing over a very old issue with very clear answers....

wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

Who dares to say that these GIANT scholars of Islam are all wrong, misguided and are people of evil bidah.

So ppl, get a grip- dont waste your time arguing over a very old issue with very clear answers....

wasalaam

You tell em Ed Dirol

Salaam

[b]VIEWPOINT OF THE IMAMS OF THE MUSLIM UMMAH ON THE
CELEBRATION OF MILAD UN NABI.[/b]

[b]1. Imam Al-Hafiz Al-Suyuti[/b] (radi Allahu anhu) in his famous book "Al-Hawii Lil-Fatawii" allocated a special chapter on that topic and named it "The Excellence of Objective in Celebrating the Mawlid" where he said: The question under consideration is what the verdict of the Shari'ah on celebrating the Holy Birthday of the Noble Prophet during the month of Rabbi-ul-Awwal. From the point of view of Shari'ah is this a praiseworthy action or a blameworthy one? And do those who arrange such celebration receive blessings or not?

He said: "The reply to this question is that in my view the Meelad Shareef (Celebration of the Birthday of the Noble Prophet - sallal laahu alaihi wasallam - is in fact such an occasion of happiness on which people assemble and recite the Holy Qu'ran to the extent that is easy. Then they relate the prophecies concerning the appearance of the Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) that have been transmitted in Ahadith and Athar, and the miraculous events and signs that took place on his birth. Then food is set before them and according to their desire they partake thereof to satisfaction. This festival of celebrating the birthday of the Noble Prophet is a Bid'ah Hasanah (good innovation) and those arranging it will get blessing, since in such a celebration is found the expression of joy and happiness at the greatness and eminence of the Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and his birth".

[b]2. Even Ibn Tay'miah[/b] said in his book "Necessity of the Right Path", p. 266, 5th line from the bottom of that page, published by Dar Al-Hadith, the following: "As far as what people do during the Meelad, either as a rival celebration to that which the Christian do during the time of Christ's birthday or as an expression of their love and admiration and a sign of praise for the Noble Prophet, Allah will surely reward them for such Ij'tiha". He then said: "Although Meelad was not practised by (Salaf), they should have done so since there was no objection against it from the Shari'ah point of view".

And we certainly only celebrate Meelad out of love and admiration to the Prophet of all Mankind.
[b]
3. Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar [/b](radi Allahu anhu) was asked, same reference of Imam Suyuti (radi Allahu anhu), about Meelad Shareef. His reply was: "Meelad Shareef is, in fact, and innovation, which was not transmitted from any pious predecessor in the first three centuries. Nevertheless, both acts of virtue as well as acts of abomination are found in it (i.e. sometimes acts of virtue are found therein and sometimes acts of abomination). If in the Meelad Shareef only acts of virtue are done and acts of abomination are abstained from, then the Meelad Shareef is a Bid'ah Hasanah (good innovation), otherwise not." He then added "... to do any virtuous act and to observe it annually as means of recollection for any special day on which Allah Ta'ala has bestowed any favour or removed any calamity is a form of showing gratitude to Allah. Gratitude to Allah Ta'ala is expressed through different kinds of Ibaadah (worship) -prostration and standing in prayer, charity and recitation of the Holy Qu'ran. And what is a greater favour from Allah can there be than the appearance of the Prophet of Mercy (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) on this day (i.e. 12th of Rabbi-ul-Awwal)?"

Some people do not limit it and celebrate the Meelad Shareef on any day of Rabbi-ul-Awwal. Nay, some people have extended it even more and increased the period to the whole year. According to the latter, the Meelad Shareef can be celebrated on any day of the year. The objective here is the same, i.e. to rejoice at and celebrate the Holy Birth of the Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).

[b]4. Imam Abu-Bakr Abdullah Al-Demashqi [/b](radi Allahu anhu) compiled a number of books on the subject and called them "Collection of Traditions on the Birth of the Chosen Prophet", "The Pure Expression on the Birthday of the Best of Creations" and "The Spring for the Thirsty One on the Birth of the Rightly Guided".

[b]5. Imam Al-Hafiz Al-Iraqi [/b](radi Allahu anhu) wrote a book and called it "The Pure Spring on the Sublime Birth".
[b]
6. Imam Ibn Dahyah[/b] (radi Allahu anhu) wrote a book and called it "Enlightenment on the Birthday of the Bearer of Good News, The Warner".
[b]
7. Imam Mulla Ali Qari [/b](radi Allahu anhu) wrote a book and called it "The Quenching Spring on the Birthday of the Prophet".

[b]8. Imam Shams Ul-Din bin Naser Al-Dumashqi[/b] (radi Allahu anhu), said in his book "The Spring for the Thirsty One on the Birth of the Rightly Guided" about the story of Abu Lahab that he will receive a light punishment every Monday for expressing joy at the birth of the Noble Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) on that day. The Imam said the following verse of poetry, the translation of the above is:

If such Kafir was denounced in the (Qur'an)
And perished are his hands, and in the Flames is his eternal abode

It is narrated that every Monday
His torment is made easy for his Joy at the Birth of Ahmad

What is the expectation then of a servant who spent all his life
Happy with the Arrival of Ahmad and died on the Oneness of Allah.

[b]9. Imam Shams Ul-Din Ibn al-Jazri [/b](radi Allahu anhu), the Imam of Reciters, wrote a book and named it "The Scent of Notification on the Blessed Birthday".

10. Imam Al-Hafiz Ibn Al-Jawzi (radi Allahu anhu), said in the description of Meelad: "Peace and Tranquillity takes over during that year and a good glad tiding to obtain your wish and inspiration".

[b]11. Imam Abu-Shamah, The Sheik of Al Hafiz Al Nawawi[/b] (radi Allahu anhuma), said: "The best of the innovations of our times is what is carried out on the day of corresponding to the birthday of our Beloved Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), where people give out donations, practice what is right, express their joy and happiness, in doing so is surely a sign of love and admiration for the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam)".
[b]
12. Imam Al-Hafiz Al-Qastalani[/b] (radi Allahu anhu), who gave commentary on Sahih Bukhari, said: "May Allah shower his Mercy upon a person who takes the days of the month of Rabbi-ul-Awwal, in which the Noble Prophet (radi Allahu anhu) was born, as days of feast and celebration for doing so is the best cure for the heart of an ailing person."

[b]These are scholars from the past 1000 years. Scholars which all school of thoughts and aqeedas follow. They have all said its good, allowed, praisworthy and rewarded. Who knows Islam better :our blessed classical scholars from our history or a few modern day scholars who have no authority?[/b]

YOU DECIDE

wasalaam

salaam

The four imams were Masters of Fiqh, they dedicated their lives to rulings on Fiqh. They havent written or said much on aspects of aqeeda.

On Bidah imam Shafi did say that if an act which was not done by the Prophet (saw), by the sahaba or the ta'baees but as long at it does not contain haram acts- it is permissible in Islam.

This basically shuts up the opponents of the Mawlid and totally shuts up those who always say there is no such thing as a bidah hasanah (good bidah). Apart from Imam Shafi many other classical scholars of Islam have said of course there is a good bidah!

i find it amazing - when classical scholars of Islam have said that even if you do an act that the Prophet and the sahabah did not do, yet that act has roots in the Quran and Sunnah; and that act is free of haram things- then it is allowed, permissible and deemed as a GOOD INNOVATION.

Then why still the arguments, debates???
what is it in the celebration of the mawlid which is haram? Recite Quran, nasheeds, talk about seerah, eat food etc.....Imam Suyuti , Asqalani have said it is full of barakah and rewarding- again I say who knows better?

wasalaam

The ed talk about what wrong with milad, well the answer is right in front of your face and it lies with the attitude of the people arguing both sides. In the years I knew about the Milad, when I ask why some people didn't celebrate, the response is normally , they didn't love the prophet pbuh as much as them. Yashmatki has already answer that question quite well, so no need to go over that point.

The fact is simple, over 50 classical scholar said it permissable, fair enough. But too say that people are disrespecting them if they discuss that it might not be allow is stupid IMO. It like me trying to state that by celebrating Milad you disrespecting Allah swt, the prophet saw, the four imaam and all the other scholar who since have not made a point of celebrating it.

I personally don't get anything from milad like I do from such days as ramadan, so from this year I probably wouldn't be involve in it, because I can't stand the topic of discussion that is involve in the day and the attitude. I respectfully decide not to celebrate it, as I respect the people who do celebrate with Humility.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

my family doesnt celebrate milad nor do alot of people in society..not celebrating doesnt mean we have less love for the prophet than the people who have made it an annual event.loving the prophet is in the heart ,not necessary to show it .dont care what people think .allah knows best.

so bidah hasanah is permissable?

"yuit" wrote:
The ed talk about what wrong with milad, well the answer is right in front of your face and it lies with the attitude of the people arguing both sides. In the years I knew about the Milad, when I ask why some people didn't celebrate, the response is normally , they didn't love the prophet pbuh as much as them. Yashmatki has already answer that question quite well, so no need to go over that point.

The fact is simple, over 50 classical scholar said it permissable, fair enough. But too say that people are disrespecting them if they discuss that it might not be allow is stupid IMO. It like me trying to state that by celebrating Milad you disrespecting Allah swt, the prophet saw, the four imaam and all the other scholar who since have not made a point of celebrating it.

I personally don't get anything from milad like I do from such days as ramadan, so from this year I probably wouldn't be involve in it, because I can't stand the topic of discussion that is involve in the day and the attitude. I respectfully decide not to celebrate it, as I respect the people who do celebrate with Humility.

salaam

if you want to celebrate it- thats cool
if you dont thats cool aswell
i have no problems with anyone celebrating it or not
my only problem is when people say 'you shouldnt celebrate it, its wrong, its an evil bidah, there is no evidence for it, it could lead you to the hell fire, you are imitating the christians etc.... that is all out of order and that is what annoys people and starts stupid arguments.

Those people who say that those who do not celebrate the Mawlid do not love the prophet etc are again foolish, emotional and sectarian.

Mawlid is mubaah, its not fard or wajib. Its permissible, its a practise throughout Islamic history and its a tool an dan excuse to gather people to talk an dlearn about teh teachings and sunnah of the Prophet (saw)- which cant be a bad thing. Its a time to act upon the sunnah even more, a time to increase the love of the prophrt Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) even more.

When you say you dont get anything out of it- thats unfortunate, because some mawlid gatherings are poor, sectarian etc..i get alot out of it, it re-boots my batteries, it makes me attend mehfils of naat, nasheed, seerah or the prophet, it unites people, it gets the mosque used and packed in a positive way. If the gathering are organised well then it should bring loads of youngsters closer to their prophet. A classic example was this years Grand Mawlid Conference where eminent scholars like hamza Yusuf, Nuh Keller, Zaid Shakir, Abu Bakr Sudani, Abdul Hakim Murad, Habib Ali Jiffri and many others attended...as a result thousands of youth attended and gained so much about their prophet (saw). These scholars i mentioned are some of the best around in the world- and of course they celebrate the mawlid and encourage others to do so.

Wassallaam

"muslim gyal" wrote:
my family doesnt celebrate milad nor do alot of people in society..not celebrating doesnt mean we have less love for the prophet than the people who have made it an annual event.loving the prophet is in the heart ,not necessary to show it .dont care what people think .allah knows best.

so bidah hasanah is permissable?

i agree with you sis, if you dont want to celebrate it , thats fine..just bare in mind not to say its wrong, not allowed, no evidence, bad bidhah etc.
and if you do not celebrate it of course it does not mean you dont love the Prophet (saw)- thats ridiculous!

Bidah hasanah is definitely allowed, as you would have read in my posts above on this thread , all the classical scolars have said Mawlid is a great bidah hasanah, and they have all classified bidah in to several categories, one of them being a good bidah.

For your benefit i will link some articles on this issue:

wasalaam

"yuit" wrote:

so argue over the WAY its celebrated- instead of the permissibilty of celebration

thats two diff issues

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"yuit" wrote:

so argue over the WAY its celebrated- instead of the permissibilty of celebration

thats two diff issues

Well the problem doesn't lie with the way it celebrated. As ed said, there nothing wrong with sitting down in a gathering in remembering Allah swt and his blessings in the prophet (saw). My problem come with what it manifest for some people, which is pride and ego which come from within certain people, some people are not affected and they show alot humblemess in the situation. However, I always come away from the event and any discussion on it with a bad feeling inside me, so I choose not to be involve anymore.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

Salaam

I never attend those Milads which I know I won’t gain any benefits from.

You can usually tell by finding out about the organisers, speakers and agenda of the programme beforehand.

Wasalaam

during the first six centuries of this ummah,the muslims never arranged any milaad celebrations.
the first milaad was organised by sultan abu saeed muzaffar and abul khitaab ibn wahia in the year 604 a.h. special care was taken regarding the following things:
A: specification of the 12th of rabee-ul-awal.
B: the distribution of food with the intention of isaale-thawab.

as a result of this new practise.the ulama were drawn into arguments and discussions concerning its permissibility and im-permissiability.
allamah fakahani (ra) and his collegues refrained from these gatherings and ruled it an innovation due to the condition attatched to its organisation.

gradually with the passage of time many baseless customs were introduced,with the result that today we see the great retrogression in these gatherings. allah alone knows what more non islamic customs will be introduced.
it is now necessary to examine these functions and celebrations:

the first point to consider is that this is such a practise that was not practised during the time of the sahaabah and the taabieen(ra) and it took root in islam six centuries after the demise of the prophet p.b.u.h.yet is is now being labelled as a sign of islam.
the people organising these gatherings are so called ashique rasool ,and those who do not attend these gatherings are labelled dushmane rasool.

is islam the home production of some tom dick and harry that whenever one pleases he may add/remove things from it?

since these celebrations are contrary to the spirit and message of islam,the holy prophet the sahaabah and the people of the first six centuries never arranged such gatherings. if one was to study the history of islam,one will realise the sixth century was the era when the christians waged a war on islamand were victorious in their struggle.

it was also during the same time that islam was weakened due to internal differences.the victory of the christians affected the islamic enviroment with the result many aspects of the christian culture infiltrated the muslim way of life.

the celebration of the birth of the prophet was amongst the custom that infiltrated islam.it was a means of satisfiying and pacifying the weaker muslims,nevertheless as mentioned before,the majority of the ummah did not accept the celebrations.
in fact from the seventh century onwards up to this day ulama have ruled milad celebrations as an innovation being amongst those innovations classified as being a means of leading one astray.

the most frightening part of this affair is that it is thought that the prophet personally attends these gatherings.

CONCLUSION:

the gradual introduction of various customs and innovations into the celebrations of milaad have no basis in islam and are totallt contrary to the spirit of islam. it hurts one to thinkhow the holy prophet would react to such innovations of ours when they are presented to him,and what would be the anger and distress of the sahaabah if they were in our midst witnessing these shameless acts.

totally agree with mufti saif ul islam

So he is against the method used to celebrate mawlid.

Not the actual fact of celebrating it.

With regard to any customs, no matter it be with mawlid, or anything else, you need to examine the custom. If it does not follow Islamic ettiquette/laws, it is unislamic. If it does follow Islamic ettiquette, it is allowed.

As an example, on weddings amny people do unislamic things. The actual weddings should not be banned, but the actual custom not acceptable in Islam.

This scholar is using the aspect of the yearly celebration to cast doubt on the actual celebration.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

We will not agree on this topic, so its probably best to agree to disagree.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

u not meant to agree if u dont want to...believe what u think is right

"kuri/19" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

u not meant to agree if u dont want to...believe what u think is right

u give ppl all the evidence under the sun, quotes of many classical scholars, detailed definition of bidah and its categories from classical scholars and still you say Mawlid has no root in islam, its evil innovation.
Well i will follow the ijmaa of the classical scholars of the last 1000 years..if they are wrong i am happy to be wrong.

kuri/19 if you dont agree with mawlid- thats up to you. but dont accuse others who celebrate it of misguidance and evil innovation, please.

what i said above was just what i think ,im not telling anyone to agree with me. what i did say was that i agree with mufti saiful islam,u will find that some scholars are for milaad and some scholars disagree on milaad and u obviously are for milaad and i aint....

fight, fight fight!

/gets popcorn

AT the end of the day noone is gonna change their mind on a deep issue on an internet forum.

Both sides have laid out their arguements, so lets leave it at that shall we?

i found out, ive already got them DVD's Biggrin

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"kuri/19" wrote:
what i said above was just what i think ,im not telling anyone to agree with me. what i did say was that i agree with mufti saiful islam,u will find that some scholars are for milaad and some scholars disagree on milaad and u obviously are for milaad and i aint....

You agree with mufti saiful islam (who is he by the way)but disagree with giants of Islam like Imam Asqalani, suyuti, sha'fi, nawawi, qastalani, zurqani, ibn kathir, ibn jawzi, imam damishqi, imam alusi, imam muhajar makki...
very strange!

"angel" wrote:
Just buy the DVD's of Shaykh ul islam and everythin will be cleared, here's the link:

unfortunately they wont, as some have already decided its not allowed in Islam no matter what despite the evidence of 50 classical scholars of Islam!

Oh well their loss, those DVD's are excellant and none other than shaykh ul islam has provided such indepth evidence...those who celebrate should continue doing so and those who dont shouldnt go round sayin its biddah cuz thats just cheek!

"angel" wrote:
Just buy the DVD's of Shaykh ul islam and everythin will be cleared, here's the link:

unfortunately they wont, as some have already decided its not allowed in Islam no matter what despite the evidence of 50 classical scholars of Islam!

'Ed leave it.

She can agree or disagree with who ever she likes.

No point debating when neither side will budge - guaranteed.

Pages