Mars confectionary no longer vegetarian

76 posts / 0 new
Last post

Here are some methods of how rennet is extracted. Take a look at the modern method of 'milling' the stomach (actual meat) and using that to extract rennet...read it and see what you think..

I think we should start eating fruit more often Wink

The best preacher is the conscience, the best teachers are time and experience, the best book is the world, the best friend is God

Quote:
[size=18]Mars bars get veggie status back[/size]

Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians.

The firm had said it would change the whey used in some of its products from a vegetarian source to one with traces of the animal enzyme, rennet.

The Vegetarian Society organised a campaign against the move, asking members to voice their concerns to parent company Masterfoods.

Mars said it became "very clear, very quickly" that it had made a mistake.

In just one week, more than 6,000 people bombarded the company, which produces the Mars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy brands, with phone and e-mail complaints.

Forty MPs also signed a petition to voice their opposition.

Fiona Dawson, managing director of Mars UK, said the company had listened to customers and decided to reverse its decision.

"The consumer is our boss and we had lots of feedback from consumers who were unhappy about the change," Ms Dawson said.

"It became very clear, very quickly that we had made a mistake, for which I am sorry.

"There are three million vegetarians in the UK and not only did we disappoint them, but we upset a lot of the consumers."

[b]'Principled decision'[/b]

The Vegetarian Society had called the move by Mars "incomprehensible" and "a backward step" at a time when consumers were increasingly concerned about "the provenance of their food".

Mars replied that, by admitting its products were no longer suitable for "extremely strict vegetarians", it was making a "principled decision".

Now it insists it will begin changing its recipes back immediately.

Dr Annette Pinner, chief executive of the Vegetarian Society, said she was pleased Mars had been "honest enough" to admit it had "made a mistake".

"A Masterfoods representative has made contact with us and we are very pleased that they now recognise the importance of integrity to all their customers, especially vegetarians," she added.

Rennet is extracted from calves' stomachs and was to have been used in the ice cream versions of all Masterfoods' bars too.

[url= News[/url]

I call that a win for common sense.

kudos to those who got the word out fast as the veg society does seem to have its act together.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Definitely. With all the mention of Best Before dates they may yet want to clarify about any "bad" batches and the dates concerned but well done Masterfoods, and the Vegetarian Society.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

by making it non vegetarian

they'd be isolating a massive audience

the muslims, hindu's and the hardcore veggies

it'd be their own loss

so common sense stopped them from going ahead

tho im surprised they failed to see that in the first place

the importance of customers/consumers should be any buisness organisations primary concern

Updated: 06:30, Sunday May 20, 2007
Vegetarians have won their battle over the use of animal extracts in some of the country's favourite chocolate bars.
The manufacturer of Mars bars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy has apologised to vegetarians after saying last week it was to change its ingredients.

More than 6,000 people complained about the move by Masterfoods and 40 MPs signed a petition.

Masterfoods had said it was changing the way it used some chocolate and ice cream from a vegetarian source to one with traces of rennet, an animal enzyme.

The Vegetarian Society protested on behalf of three million vegetarians in the UK and asked people to "express their concern" to Masterfoods.
Advertisement

Fiona Dawson, managing director of the Mars snack business in the UK, said: "The consumer is our boss and we had lots of feedback from consumers.

"It became very clear, very quickly that we had made a mistake, for which I am sorry.

"There are three million vegetarians in the UK and not only did we disappoint them but we upset a lot of the consumers.

""We have listened to their views and have decided to reverse our decision."

The company said it will begin changing its recipe back immediately for the best-selling four brands and at a later date for Minstrels.

live and let live!!!!!!!

Kaafirs still wants us to eat remains of pigs which they have placed inside choclate during the past three weeks.
They make 550 000 choclates a day. People eat a lof of choclate every day even in Britain. That is over half a million bars.
so we can say that from 1 May to 20 May the producers have made Kaafirs 20 x 550 000 bars, = 11 000 000 bars of choclate.

we have to ask the question as to who is going to eat all those 11 million bars of choctale. I am sure Kaafirs are so greedy; so they are never going to simply throw 11 000 000 bars away, because that would be wasting millions of pounds in profit; so I think they are going to let a lot of choclates come on our shelves. they have decieved everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims vegitarians, and so we are not going to trust them again. I would rather eat American or Jewish choclates than those by Masterfoods or Cadbury.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"malik" wrote:
Kaafirs still wants us to eat remains of pigs which they have placed inside choclate during the past three weeks.

they have decieved everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims vegitarians, and so we are not going to trust them again. I would rather eat American or Jewish choclates than those by Masterfoods or Cadbury.

Why did you stop using the word kaafir in your last para?

It would have sounded more like what you normaly say:

Quote:
they have decieved everyone, Muslims and kaafir vegitarians, and so we are not going to trust them again. I would rather eat kaafir or kaafir choclates than those by kaafir or kaafir.

"ßeast" wrote:
"malik" wrote:

they have decieved everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims vegitarians, and so we are not going to trust them again. I would rather eat American or Jewish choclates than those by Masterfoods or Cadbury.

Why did you stop using the word kaafir in your last para?

It would have sounded more like what you normaly say:

Quote:
they have decieved everyone, Muslims and kaafir vegitarians, and so we are not going to trust them again. I would rather eat kaafir or kaafir choclates than those by kaafir or kaafir.

lol!!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

[b][color=indigo]LOL Lol [/color][/b]

erm... what is wrong with Cadburys?

I thought they were not involved in this fiasco?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
erm... what is wrong with Cadburys?

[color=indigo][b]Nothing.[/b][/color]

So why did malik bring them into the discussion?

coz emotions got in the way therefore he wasnt thinking straight so cadburys was inc in the bad kafir list but then ALL kafirs are bad :roll: ....

yeah I heard they are high in unsaturated fat - Can cause heart attacks.

So next time you feel like a deep fried kaafir be careful.

"malik" wrote:
remains of pigs

The issue was the use of whey made using rennet from the lining of calves' stomachs. Nothing about pig.

(As it happens this traditional rennet is not cheaper and most manufacturers here find it less consistent and prefer not to use it. I imagine the cost saving was on account of sourcing whey from abroad.)

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
they'd be isolating a massive audience

the muslims, hindu's and the hardcore veggies

well, not all muslims - it didn't apply to hanafis, yet everyone equates the 'suitable for vegetarians' sign to the 'halaal' sign, and all the texts and emails i got were from hanafi muslims who just assumed this applied to them and were outraged by it.

what i want to know is: why are we so obsessed about food?!! i've seen this especially in the asian community, you can do some of the worst sins in public, you can be a drug dealer or drink alcohol, but as long as you don't eat pork or some other haraam meat, you're ok. :roll:

i know some of the people who sent those txts and emails were just genuinely concerned that their bro's and sis' may unknowingly eat something which they perceived to be haraam, but others were outraged and went on about how this was a 'backwards step' bla bla, for God's sake Muslims are dying across the world and we're concerned about the fact that we can no longer enjoy certain chocolates? it makes me so mad, we only need to question ourselves about the state we as an Ummah are in today. :evil:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

so which chocolates are we not allowed to eat?

Snickers, Twix...????

cos the list linked in a previous post did not mention these....

pls confirm...as i havent really been following this development....

Stick to Cadburys for a short while I say. Timeout. There are a couple of others too.

Still gutted about KitKat and nestle though. It was me favourite chocolate - no matter how far they went to ruin it what with changing the packaging etc... but then hearing it is not suitable for veg?

[b]Edit:[/b] not only did this post have nothing to do with the topic being discussed, it was also one of your numerous tirades against 'the Kaafirs'. from now onwards such aimless posts will be deleted. you have been warned.
[b]-The Moderate Mod.[/b]

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

im confused :?
Does that mean all the choc that they were gonna put animal rennet in they are now deciding not to? or is it just some choc they are turnng back into vegetarian?

i didnt realise it was a sin in islam to have gay blood. How do you know its gay blood? they dont label it "from gay person" Biggrin

Malik you have serious issues i think you need to see a councillor.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

I'm confused too. Everyone's saying different things...I thought hanafi's could eat the chocolates.

And what, we can't eat Nestle either? I love Milkybar.

"Imaani" wrote:
I'm confused too. Everyone's saying different things...I thought hanafi's could eat the chocolates.
yep hanafis could eat the chocs either way - whether or not they were suitable for vegetarians, coz they'd still be halaal for us. but now that the decision to make them non-suitable for veggies has been overturned, the chocs are back to being halaal for people of other mazhahib too.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
yep hanafis could eat the chocs either way - whether or not they were suitable for vegetarians, coz they'd still be halaal for us.

Are you sure?

I am avoiding them because well... I have not looked at the ruling, but from what was posted here, I thought it implied the animal has to be slaughtered at an absolute minimum.

i dont trust them anyway they say they goin back halal but who knows really. It took them long enough to inform us. Gone without chocolate for 2 weeks and im still goin strong lol. Just dont crave it anymore (wot is wrong with me lol)

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Imaani" wrote:
yep hanafis could eat the chocs either way - whether or not they were suitable for vegetarians, coz they'd still be halaal for us. but now that the decision to make them non-suitable for veggies has been overturned, the chocs are back to being halaal for people of other mazhahib too.

pls elaborate what you mean pls...
why is it allowed for hanafis to eat the chocs if they apparently have animal rennet in them?

I asked someone today about this, and the answer was that what is made haraam in the qur'aan cannot be made halaal otherwise...

So more confusion...

"Admin" wrote:
I asked someone today about this, and the answer was that what is made haraam in the qur'aan cannot be made halaal otherwise...

Unless matter of death....

I thought Imam Abu Hanifah (ra) gave this leniency if a person didnt have any other option? (In this case its not valid coz you can survive without chocs....gues need to wait for Dust to clarify)

WE must all ALWAYS remember Imam Shaf'ii's pronouncement that if we come across a passage of the Qu'ran or a hadith that contradicts one of his rulings, we should follow IT instead of HIM. I assume this would apply to the other madhabs.

Anyway, on a different (tho slightly related matter), does anyone know the rulings on wearing fur? Presumably its ok but does the animal have to be slaughtered in a halaal way, or can we wear it even if the animal dies naturally (e.g. starvation, falling, or at the horns of another animal etc)? thanks for any feedback

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Pages