similarities between islam and roman catholicism

hola

our Holy Father says that he has great respect for muslims and he says they are like brothers and sisters. our Bible does not say anything about muslims however our Catechism, which is a statement, of what we believe says this...

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."[330]

842 The Church's bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race: All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city. . .[331]

our Dogmatic Constitution says the same

But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind

i read the quran, a biography of mohamed called the sealed nectar and a book about muslim laws called the legal status of following a madhab which was also very helpful but i do not know enough about muslims to say for certain what similarities exist... if you please, what do muslims believe about things like family, social interaction and personal morals?

gracias

Dominus Vobiscum Catholics

There are some differences and some Similarities.

Also, we are called Muslims, not because that is what others started calling us, but the name given in the Qur'an.

If by "acknowledge the creator" you mean accept jesus as the Son of God, or accept the trinity, we do not.

Islamically there is also special status given to "Ahlul kitaab" - people of the book. jews and christians.

however some argue that modern day christians are not covered by that term. I myself have only had a cursory look at the subject so have no firm opinion.

I think that is what your post was about.

For translated verses about people of the book:

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

There are many similarities for instance the creation story is pretty much the same deal:

Quote:

Qur'an 35:13:
"He merges Night into Day, and he merges Day into Night, and he has subjected the sun and the moon (to his Law): each one runs its course for a term appointed. Such is Allah your Lord: to Him belongs all Dominion. And those whom ye invoke besides Him have not the least power."

Genesis 1:14:
"Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years"

Both Islam and Christianity have the 10 Commandments given to Moses (as):
Quote:

Qur'an 2:53:
"And remember We gave Moses the Scripture and the Criterion (between right and wrong): There was a chance for you to be guided aright."

Exodus 24:12
"The Lord said to Moses, "Come up to Me on the mountain and stay here, and I will give you the tablets of stone, with the law and commands I have written for their instruction.""

Both are monotheistic, both believe God to be omnipotent, both believe in the end of the world and the day of judgement. After the world has ended, God will judge humans, based on their actions in compliance with a moral code. Both believe Jesus (as) was born to the virgin mary and will return and defeat Satan/Antichrist/TheDevil/TheBigBad. Both believe human beings have a soul which is eternal, continuing its existence after our physical death.

We both have special congregational services of worship (Islam has salat on Friday, whereas Christinaity has worship at church on Sundays).
Both believe its not enough to simply say "i believe", both believe God punishes the worship of other deities. Both believe in the "seven deadly sins" (avarice, pride, greed, gluttony; envy, lust, sloth) are all spiritual illnesses. Intoxication, suicide and being a Homo's is forbidden.

Hope that helps.

Back in BLACK

Family in Islam:

Quote:
In the Islamic world, one rarely finds “old people’s homes.” The strain of caring for one’s parents in this most difficult time of their lives is considered an honor and a blessing and an opportunity for great spiritual growth. In Islam, it is not enough that we only pray for our parents, but we should act with limitless compassion, remembering that when we were helpless children, they preferred us to themselves. Mothers are particularly honored. When Muslim parents reach old age, they are treated mercifully, with kindness and selflessness. Its is said that the gates of Heaven are at your mother's feet.

In Islam, serving one’s parents is a duty second to prayer, and it is their right to expect it. It is considered despicable to express any irritation when, through no fault of their own, the old become difficult.

God has said:

Your Lord has commanded that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to your parents. If one of them or both of them reach old age with you, do not say to them a word of disrespect, or scold them, but say a generous word to them. And act humbly to them in mercy, and say, “My Lord, have mercy on them, since they cared for me when I was small.” (Quran, 17:23-24)

also:

Quote:
Islam sees a woman, whether single or married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and dispose of her property and earnings. A marriage dowry is given by the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and she keeps her own family name rather than taking her husband's.

Both men and women are expected to dress in a way which is modest and dignified; the traditions of female dress found in some Muslim countries are often the expression of local customs.

The Messenger of God said:

'The most perfect in faith amongst believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his wife.'

Personal Morals:

Quote:
Examples of the Prophet`s sayings

The Prophet said:

'God has no mercy on one who has no mercy for others.'

'None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself.'

'He who eats his fill while his neighbor goes without food is not a believer. '

'The truthful and trusty businessman is associated with the prophets the saints, and the martyrs.'

'Powerful is not he who knocks the other down, indeed powerful is he who controls himself in a fit of anger. '

'God does not judge according to your bodies and appearances but He scans your hearts and looks into your deeds.'

'A man walking along a path felt very thirsty. Reaching a well he descended into it, drank his fill and came up. Then he saw a dog with its tongue hanging out, trying to lick up mud to quench its thirst. The man saw that the dog was feeling the same thirst as he had felt so he went down into the well again and filled his shoe with water and gave the dog a drink. God forgave his sins for this action.' The Prophet was asked: 'Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals?' He said, 'There is a reward for kindness to every living thing.'

From the hadith collections of Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi and Bayhaqi

Hope this helps.

In everything, its always very important to to distinguish between Islam and what Muslims say and do.

The way I see as Christianity is very similar to Islam, but with some practices and beliefs added on. I don't see these extra practices as evil or immoral, but unnecessary to belief and obediance in God.

For example, could someone please explain to me the necessity of drinking wine and eating bread in the belief of God?

Also the necessity of a large hierachy of clergy between the individual person and God.

For me, Islam is so simple and pure, we pray to God (Great and Glorious is He!) directly, by humbly bowing and prostrating, in the same way that Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Noah, Adam et al (peace be upon them all) prayed to God.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

[b]The Ten Commandments (in the Qur'an too)[/b]

(Exodus 12: 1-17 & Deuteronomy 5: 6-21)
Confirmation in the Quran (Chapter: Verse)

[i]Bible:[/i]

1. Thou shall not take any God except one God.

2. Thou shall make no image of God.

3. Thou shall not use God's name in vain.

4. Thou shall honor thy mother and father.

5. Thou shall not steal.

6. Thou shall not lie or give false testimony.

7. Thou shall not kill.

8. Thou shall not commit adultery.

9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife or possessions.

10. Thou shall keep the Sabbath holy.

[i]Qur'an:[/i]

1. There is no God except one God (47:19)

2. There is nothing whatsoever like unto Him (42:11)

3. Make not God's name an excuse to your oaths (2:224)

4. Be kind to your parents if one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not a word of contempt nor repel them but address them in terms of honor. (17:23)

5. As for the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands, but those who repent after a crime and reform shall be forgiven by God for God is forgiving and kind. (5:38 - 39)

6. They invoke a curse of God if they lie. (24:7) Hide not the testimony (2:283)

7. If anyone has killed one person it is as if he had killed the whole mankind (5:32)

8. Do not come near adultery. It is an indecent deed and a way for other
evils. (17:32)

9. Do good to your parents, relatives and neighbors. (4:36) Saying of the Prophet Muhammad (P) "One of the greatest sins is to have illicit sex with your neighbors wife".

10. When the call for the Friday Prayer is made, hasten to the remembrance of God and leave off your business. (62:9)

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

"Seraphim" wrote:
Both believe in the "seven deadly sins" (avarice, pride, greed, gluttony; envy, lust, sloth) are all spiritual illnesses. Intoxication, suicide and being a Homo's is forbidden.

gracias i did not know this about the seven deadly sins Smile does islam say being homosexual is forbidden or can you be homosexual and celibate?

"Ya'qub" wrote:

hola

this sounds very similar to one of the beatitudes (from Jesus sermon on the mount), but i did not remember reading this in the quran... where is it found?

"Ya'qub" wrote:
'The truthful and trusty businessman is associated with the prophets the saints, and the martyrs.'

do muslims have their own saints or do they venerate Christian saints too?

"Ya'qub" wrote:
'Powerful is not he who knocks the other down, indeed powerful is he who controls himself in a fit of anger. '

i definitely agree with this...

hola Amal,

in the RCC the first two commandments you indicated are actually the same commandment... do muslims make any kind of distinction between idolatry, worshiping statues and things that are not God, and worship dulia/worship latria?

gracias

“Singing is like praying twice.”

Dominus vobiscum to Catholics
may God guide you non Catholics

"Snowbunny" wrote:
do muslims make any kind of distinction between idolatry, worshiping statues and things that are not God, and worship dulia/worship latria?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'worship dulia/worship latria' but I think you may be alluding to what we call 'minor shirk'

It is said that Shaitan (Satan) has given up on making us worship other gods than Allah or idols and statues (this would be major shirk), but will try to lead us to the Hellfire by tempting us to perform 'minor shirk'. This can be things like saying 'touch wood' or 'good luck' or crossing your fingers (which show reliance to something other than God Alone), all the way to being too proud and showing off. For example, if you were to give money to charity in the hope that others will see you and praise you, then you are seeking the favour of something other than Allah Alone, and this would constitute 'minor shirk'.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but I think its important nonetheless!!

"Snowbunny" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

hola

this sounds very similar to one of the beatitudes (from Jesus sermon on the mount), but i did not remember reading this in the quran... where is it found?

This (along woth the other quotes I gave) is not in the Qur'an, it is a Hadith. Which means it is a reliable saying attributed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

It is also said that when Islam is properly put into practice, you will give your neighbor some food or money as charity, and he will pass it on to someone else who he thinks is in more need, who in turn will pass it on to someone who he thinks is in need of it more. Eventually it will be returned to you!

"Ya'qub" wrote:
"Snowbunny" wrote:
do muslims make any kind of distinction between idolatry, worshiping statues and things that are not God, and worship dulia/worship latria?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'worship dulia/worship latria' but I think you may be alluding to what we call 'minor shirk'

It is said that Shaitan (Satan) has given up on making us worship other gods than Allah or idols and statues (this would be major shirk), but will try to lead us to the Hellfire by tempting us to perform 'minor shirk'. This can be things like saying 'touch wood' or 'good luck' or crossing your fingers (which show reliance to something other than God Alone), all the way to being too proud and showing off. For example, if you were to give money to charity in the hope that others will see you and praise you, then you are seeking the favour of something other than Allah Alone, and this would constitute 'minor shirk'.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but I think its important nonetheless!!

hola

i am very sorry, i should have explained. the Holy Roman Catholic Church teaches that we may not pray to idols but that we may pray by contemplating holy images associated with God... this kind of veneration is called dulia, latria is when veneration is directed to God with no intermediaries and is reserved only for the Holy Trinity. what i meant to ask you was whether islam makes a difference between dulia and idolatry?

muchas gracias

“Singing is like praying twice.”

Dominus vobiscum to Catholics
may God guide you non Catholics