another question

hola

somebody showed me pictures of a muslim religious festival. children cut themselves with swords and mothers cut children too young to do this to themselves. could somebody please tell me about this?

muchas gracias

That is a shia thing.

Most posters on here are Sunni and do not accept such things.

I have no idea why they do it. I have talked to a shia firend about it in the past and he told me it was a minority thing in some shia subsect. No idea how true that is.

We are clearly told not to harm our bodies, so I have no idea what justification is used.

This act is normally carried out during the commemoration of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) as an act of mourning or sharing of pain or something, even though we are even told to mourn responsibly. No beating chests, wailing etc.

It is not something I accept or think should be done. Self mutilation is wrong in my eyes no matter the reason.

I did not know it was extended to cutting on children. If it is, that is horrific.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i think they do it as they feel there to blame for one of the prophets families death i think not sure though anyone know a lil bit more?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I too have seen pictures of mothers cutting their children. It is probably the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in my whole life.

I was shocked, disgusted, embarrassed, horrified, and quite freaked out when I found out such a practice occured. I dread to think what any non-muslim would feel.

We once drove past shias wailing and beating themselves in Pakistan. My little boy who was 3 at the time was so afraid. If the Quran condems this, then why do people do this to themselves?

live and let live!!!!!!!

gracias

“Singing is like praying twice.”

Dominus vobiscum to Catholics
may God guide you non Catholics

"Snowbunny" wrote:
hola

somebody showed me pictures of a muslim religious festival. children cut themselves with swords and mothers cut children too young to do this to themselves. could somebody please tell me about this?

muchas gracias

Ya Ali Madad

Admin is right. Sunni Muslims don't do this sort of thing. They do not agree with this practice. It is purely a Shia ritual.

I as a Shia Muslim believe that this sort of thing is encouraged in our Holy Book, the Quran, as well in your Holy Book, the Bible.

We Shia Muslims do to mourn Imam Hussain, who was killed in 680 by an evil ruler Yazeed. We carry out this kind of self flagellation to share the suffering inflicted on the Holy Imam and his family. It is a similar in practice to some Catholic Christians who on Easter nail themselves on the cross to emulate the suffering of Christ. They, like Jesus, crucify themselves on Easter in some countries. I am sure you have seen pictures in this practice.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"malik" wrote:
I as a Shia Muslim believe that this sort of thing is encouraged in our Holy Book, the Quran,

like 'mecca', i too would like to see the ayaat where such acts are encouraged...?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

I believe it is those who consider matam as haram has to established that as a fact. I do not have to defend my actions. I say they are legal and hence I do them in the name of Imam Hussain for pleasure of Allah.

This is the Islamic way, not the American way where the innocents are required to prove their innocence. The Islamic way is far superior to American justice system.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

"malik" wrote:
I believe it is those who consider matam as haram has to established that as a fact. I do not have to defend my actions. I say they are legal and hence I do them in the name of Imam Hussain for pleasure of Allah.

This is the Islamic way, not the American way where the innocents are required to prove their innocence. The Islamic way is far superior to American justice system.

i could say that pork is halaal all i want but that doesn't make it halaal. no one's asking you to prove your 'innocence', you said matam is encouraged in the Quran so all we're asking for is a reference... and lol, why does everything have to go back to 'the americans'.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
and lol, why does everything have to go back to 'the americans'.

You've read his signature line... right?

I'm sorry I missed these two threads, close them both please mods. My wife's questions are answered and any further Shia propaganda is inappropriate.

Thanks.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
and lol, why does everything have to go back to 'the americans'.

You've read his signature line... right?

yup. :? i've never seen anyone actually say that line in all seriousness, more with sarcasm or as a joke.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
I'm sorry I missed these two threads, close them both please mods. My wife's questions are answered and any further Shia propaganda is inappropriate.

for the record, not all iranians or shias are america-bashers. and i wouldn't attribute his propaganda to shi'ism, rather to him being a nationalistic iranian who watches their equivalent of fox news... Wink

[b]-Thread Locked: Before we go off topic into Shia bashing.
ThePhantomMod[/b]

Topic locked