"BUT I COULD SAY THAT TO HIS FACE"

what is backbiting?

what constitutes backbiting online?

why do girls bitch more than boys

and why do people apply lamo arguments to justify their backbiting i.e. "I could say that to his face" :roll:

what about them people who indirectly backbite people i.e. by praying for their guidence outloud and thus exposing their sins to everyone?

how about when someone asks you something about someone cos they're thinking of going into buisness or marrying that person

and if what u have to say is negative about that person

is that backbiting?

whats the difference between backbiting and revealing all flaws for the benfit of all?

where do u draw the line?

Gheebah is to talk about your brother in such a manner that he would dislike it if told about it. Whether you talk about a physical defect, lineage, manners, conduct, faith or even his clothes, house or mode of transportation - all those constitute Gheebah. In regards to his body, it could be stating that he is bald, short, tall, black, yellow, or giving any physical description the person does not like. In regards to lineage, it could include stating that his father is a bedouin, a garbage-collector, cobbler, or anything that he may dislike. In regards to manners and conduct, it could include stating that he has bad manners, is stingy, arrogant, a coward, is weak-hearted, irresponsible or the like. In regards to his deeds associated with religion, it could include statements such as he is a thief, a liar, drunkard, treacherous, an oppressor, careless about Salaah or Zakaah, saying he doesn't perfect his Ruku' or Sujood, he is not careful about avoiding Najasah (impurities), isn't dutiful to his parents or he doesn't pay Zakaah to the right persons, doesn't divide Zakaah correctly, or he doesn't guard his Sawm from obscenity, backbiting, or talking ill about others. In regards to his deeds associated with daily living, it could include statements such as he has no manners with people, he talks too much, he always sleeps even when it is not time to sleep, or he sits where he shouldn't. Gheebah statements about someone's clothing could include statements such as his sleeve is wide, his thobe (shirt) is long, or that his clothes are dirty

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "During the Mi`raj (the Night of Ascension), I saw a group of people who were scratching their chests and faces with their copper nails. I asked, `Who are these people, O Jibril?' Jibril replied: `These are the people who ate flesh of others (by backbiting) and trampled people's honour.'''

Backbiting is permissible on 6 occasions only (from An Nawawee)

1. To complain about transgression or oppression – eg. To complain to a judge or police who is able to bring justice to the person who has wronged you.
2. To seek help in order to remove an evil. For example, telling a person who has an authority: “So and so is perpertrating such and such evil….please stop him”. But the intention must only be to stop the evil, and not to put down the person you don’t like.
3. To seek Islamic legal ruling from a scholar. For example, going to a scholar to speak about how someone from your family, like a brother, has wronged you.
4. To warn and advise Muslims about an evil.For example, testifying against a witness in front of a judge that he is unreliable; or to inform a guardian that her suitor has an untrustworthy character, but again check your intention!!!
5. To warn people about someone who openly flaunts his evil
6. To describe a person’s appearance or condition with the intention of clarifying who this person is: e.g. “The blind one” or “ the cross-eyed one”. Again, intention MUST be only for describing the appearance of this person for identification!

When a slanderer brings you news about another brother/sister, 6 things are required of
1. You must not believe him/her; a slanderer is not trustworthy at all!
2. You should reproach the slanderer.
3. You should hate him/her for Allah’s sake;
4. You must not have evil thoughts about the brother/sister being slandered.
5. After the slader, you must not go and spy on the activities of the one who is slandered.
6. You must not pass the information to someone else, knowing that it is all a slander!

Hope this helps

Don't just do something! Stand there.