Multi-faith Schools

Multi-faith Schools

There is an extraordinary proposal to unite Muslim, Jewish, Christian and Hindu children in the country’s first multi-faith secondary school. The plans, backed by leading figures, are aimed at transforming the image of faith-based education which has been criticized in the wake of race riots. They hope that the 1000 pupils’ school planned for the London Borough of Westminster will be the first of a series of similar ventures around the country. Now Sir Cyril Taylor is of the opinion that schools dominated by Muslim pupils should be closed down and replaced with multi-faith academies. I think Sir Cyril Taylor proposal is short-sighted and xenophobic. It is falsely called a blueprint for community cohesion and raising standards. The multi-faith schools are actually community schools. Every community school is potentially a school of many faiths and no faith, and the new academies are exactly the same. Integration does not mean mixing of different races and creeds; in fact integration means to satisfy the needs and demands of the communities who differ from each other. A few Muslims, Jewish and Christian’s secularists are against such schools and put forward a naive idea of Multi-faith schools which is not going to be accepted by those who believe in choice and diversity in education.

Multifaith schools are not going to bring together children from different faiths. Such schools are going to mis-educate and de-educate Muslim pupils just like any other state school. State schools are already multi-cultural and multi-racial but relation between different communities has gone from bad to worse for the last 30 years. The recent riots are clear evidence of institutional racism which is rife in state schools. Even Polish pupils are victim of physical and verbal abuse. There is no sign of respect and understanding between the children of different communities. There will be hardly any difference between future Multi-faith schools and present state schools.

The silent majority of Muslim parents would like to see their children attending Muslim schools. Muslim schools provide Muslim children with the opportunity to attend institutions of academic excellence which could reinforce their commitment to their culture, religion and languages while at the same time opening constructive dialogue with the British society in which they live. There is a dire need for more state funded Muslim schools. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority, such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools under the management and control of Muslim educational Trust or Charities. In Bradford, two Church schools have 90% of Muslim pupils and the Church of England should consider designating those two schools as Muslim community schools.

State funded Muslim schools need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models. Bilingualism is recognized by researchers as educational advantages. Schools need to take steps to support children’s bilingualism, which is an economic asset as well as an asset to migrant communities. The study of Comparative religions is not required in Muslim schools because Islam teaches respect, tolerance and understanding of those who are different. The teaching of Standard English will help Muslim children to follow National Curriculum. They will be able to achieve high grades to pursue higher studies and research to serve humanity. The teaching of community languages and Urdu will help them to enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. They do not find themselves cut off from their cultural roots. The teaching of Arabic will help them to practice Islam and recite and understand the Holy Quran. Only state funded Muslim schools can satisfy the needs and demands of the Muslim parents and pupils right from nursery level.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Im afraid I have to disagree with most points you raise bro...

I understand your desire but I think its not the government's responsibilty to teach our kids Islam, its our responsibilty.

I think a 'multi-faith' secondary school would be a strange idea, and I don't really see the difference between 1 of these and a normal state-school now.

But I dont agree that more state-funded single-faith schools are a good idea. I think its extremely presumptuous to say the vast majority of Muslims in this country who have attended 'bog-standard' secondary schools have been 'mis-educated' or even 'de-educated' (I'm not quite sure what that word means...).

I have to STRONGLY disagree that community relations have got worse in the last 30 years! It was during the 1980s that John Barnes was pelted with bananas while playing football. Have you ever watched Rising Damp? that gives you an accurate portrayel of most people's views during the 1970s. While I'm not going to disagree that there still is some racism issues in Britain, Its far better than most European countries, and IMO seperating children from a young age will only make things worse.

You say that in Bradford there are two church schools with 90% Muslim students. If you made these into Muslim schools, where would the other 10% go? they would be kicked out and made to feel marginalised by the majority Muslim community, or would we let them stay if they paid Jizyiah?

I went to a very mixed school when I was a 'kafir', and meeting and befriending other Muslims was one of the MAJOR reasons I took shahada. Would I have still done it if all the Muslims in my area went to there own 'institutions of academic excellence' down the road? Only Allah knows.

I'm am as yet unsure whether I want to send my own kids to a Muslim single-faith school, but I am leaning towards not at the moment. One thing is for sure though, I wouldn't want to send them to a government version of a Muslim school, with all the compromises that would have to be made. I think it is the Muslim community's responsibility, either to provide fulltime schools or evening and weekend classes. There are enough rich Muslim businessmen to pay for such things. The responsibilty for education also rests heavily on the shoulders of PARENTS!! the Qu'ran says we are all born into Islam, and it is our parents who make us Muslims, Christians or Jews etc. it DOESNT say, we are all born into Islam, and its is our schools that make us Muslims Christians or Jews etc.

I certainly wouldn't want to send my children to a school that taught them Urdu or Bengali! English and Arabic, maybe even Madarin or Spanish, but why anything else. Urdu classes are WIDELY available, but shouldnt be a part of the mainstream lessons. I would agree with as long as you also taught Gaelic because I have Scottish cultural roots!!!!

I'm sorry if i've come on a bit strong, but I feel very strongly.

I agree that 'Islam teaches respect, tolerance and understanding of those who are different' but I'm afraid unfortunately Muslims don't always teach these things....

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:
Im afraid I have to disagree with most points you raise bro...

I understand your desire but I think its not the government's responsibilty to teach our kids Islam, its our responsibilty.

I think a 'multi-faith' secondary school would be a strange idea, and I don't really see the difference between 1 of these and a normal state-school now.

But I dont agree that more state-funded single-faith schools are a good idea. I think its extremely presumptuous to say the vast majority of Muslims in this country who have attended 'bog-standard' secondary schools have been 'mis-educated' or even 'de-educated' (I'm not quite sure what that word means...).

I have to STRONGLY disagree that community relations have got worse in the last 30 years! It was during the 1980s that John Barnes was pelted with bananas while playing football. Have you ever watched Rising Damp? that gives you an accurate portrayel of most people's views during the 1970s. While I'm not going to disagree that there still is some racism issues in Britain, Its far better than most European countries, and IMO seperating children from a young age will only make things worse.

You say that in Bradford there are two church schools with 90% Muslim students. If you made these into Muslim schools, where would the other 10% go? they would be kicked out and made to feel marginalised by the majority Muslim community, or would we let them stay if they paid Jizyiah?

I went to a very mixed school when I was a 'kafir', and meeting and befriending other Muslims was one of the MAJOR reasons I took shahada. Would I have still done it if all the Muslims in my area went to there own 'institutions of academic excellence' down the road? Only Allah knows.

I'm am as yet unsure whether I want to send my own kids to a Muslim single-faith school, but I am leaning towards not at the moment. One thing is for sure though, I wouldn't want to send them to a government version of a Muslim school, with all the compromises that would have to be made. I think it is the Muslim community's responsibility, either to provide fulltime schools or evening and weekend classes. There are enough rich Muslim businessmen to pay for such things. The responsibilty for education also rests heavily on the shoulders of PARENTS!! the Qu'ran says we are all born into Islam, and it is our parents who make us Muslims, Christians or Jews etc. it DOESNT say, we are all born into Islam, and its is our schools that make us Muslims Christians or Jews etc.

I certainly wouldn't want to send my children to a school that taught them Urdu or Bengali! English and Arabic, maybe even Madarin or Spanish, but why anything else. Urdu classes are WIDELY available, but shouldnt be a part of the mainstream lessons. I would agree with as long as you also taught Gaelic because I have Scottish cultural roots!!!!

I'm sorry if i've come on a bit strong, but I feel very strongly.

I agree that 'Islam teaches respect, tolerance and understanding of those who are different' but I'm afraid unfortunately Muslims don't always teach these things....

i dont usually make a habit of quoting peoples posts and agreeing with everything they say

but i make an exception today

i agree with EVERYTHING u said

by the way Mr Iftikar

the "silent majority of muslims" would not like their kids to attend faith schools

just carry out a small scale research or reads some old reaserches on this issue

many muslim parents are secular minded

others are unaware of the stuff that goes on in schools

and many would rather see their kids integrate

No need to erpost this again.

I have deleted the new topic.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

my 2p worth..

"Ya'qub" wrote:

From what i know, Muslim schools (just like Catholic or Jewish schools) do not make it a proviso to be Muslim (or similarly Catholic or Jewish)..

"Ya'qub" wrote:

If a child attends a Muslim school, they can still meet and befriend people of other faiths, cant they? - school trips, clubs, sports, etc

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

i find myself agreeing with brother Ya'qub aswell.

Am i not missing something, we already have multi faith, multi cultural schools. Most inner city comprehensives embody this, so it's hardly a radical new idea is it?

I don't believe these schools have failed or made community relations worse. I went to one and from what i saw ppl learned more about each others faiths cultures and beliefs and learned to respect the differences as a result of mixing. If we stay in our own little cubby holes how will we ever respect differences?

Also i don;'t think the vast majority of muslims want to send their kids to religious institutions, would be nice if they had such strong views. But most muslim parents in the UK wish for a secular education for their children and part time religious Ed. during the evenings or wkends. Bad or good for their religious well being that's another topic altogether, but that's how it stands. It's the silent minority of muslim parents who wish for more muslim schools.

Erm why should the two church of england schools in bradford become "muslim schools" just coz the majority are muslims? How would muslims react if christians made such a proposal to them based on there being more christians at a muslim school for example..far fetched but just imagine the outcry? It would never happen. At the end of the day those muslim parents were fully aware of the schools christian status before putting their children there, so they shouldn;t make crazy demands. if they had wanted a muslim school they would have sent their children there surely. Bradford ironically has many traditional islamic institution some of which are excellent and create brilliant muslim scholars. So there's no excuse really, the facilities are there in that city at least, too bad if the ambition isn't.

I agree with Amal if a muslim child goes to a muslim school they can still make opportunities to mix with other ppl however of the ppl u know who do attend such institutions honestly how many of them make an effort to do this? I know of a few off the top of my head and they just don't make the effort. They don't see the point, they say they don't have the time, and coz they grew up around just muslims that's all they know. They don't see the reason for mixing when they have all the friends they could want already. I'm still at odds whether to send my child to a muslim school or not i've not decided, there's lots of pros and cons on each side.

"Amal" wrote:
From what i know, Muslim schools (just like Catholic or Jewish schools) do not make it a proviso to be Muslim (or similarly Catholic or Jewish)...

Most Jewish schools are strictly Jewish.

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]