Will you be my valentine:-)

121 posts / 0 new
Last post

Valentine's Day is supposed to be about declaring your love for someone who you secretly admire not about couples getting all lovey dovey.

"TheMan" has made it into a day for couples just to get you to spend money.

"ßeast" wrote:
Valentine's Day is supposed to be about declaring your love for someone who you secretly admire not about couples getting all lovey dovey.

:shock:

!@#$!@@!$ YEA BEAST!!! STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!

[size=18][b]Id.iot's guide to St. Valentine[/b][/size]

Let me introduce myself. My name is Valentine. I lived in Rome during the third century. That was long, long ago! At that time, Rome was ruled by an emperor named Claudius. I didn't like Emperor Claudius, and I wasn't the only one! A lot of people shared my feelings.

Claudius wanted to have a big army. He expected men to volunteer to join. Many men just did not want to fight in wars. They did not want to leave their wives and families. As you might have guessed, not many men signed up. This made Claudius furious. So what happened? He had a crazy idea. He thought that if men were not married, they would not mind joining the army. So Claudius decided not to allow any more marriages. Young people thought his new law was cruel. I thought it was preposterous! I certainly wasn't going to support that law!

Did I mention that I was a priest? One of my favourite activities was to marry couples. Even after Emperor Claudius passed his law, I kept on performing marriage ceremonies -- secretly, of course. It was really quite exciting. Imagine a small candlelit room with only the bride and groom and myself. We would whisper the words of the ceremony, listening all the while for the steps of soldiers.

One night, we did hear footsteps. It was scary! Thank goodness the couple I was marrying escaped in time. I was caught. (Not quite as light on my feet as I used to be, I guess.) I was thrown in jail and told that my punishment was death.

I tried to stay cheerful. And do you know what? Wonderful things happened. Many young people came to the jail to visit me. They threw flowers and notes up to my window. They wanted me to know that they, too, believed in love.

One of these young people was the daughter of the prison guard. Her father allowed her to visit me in the cell. Sometimes we would sit and talk for hours. She helped me to keep my spirits up. She agreed that I did the right thing by ignoring the Emperor and going ahead with the secret marriages. On the day I was to die, I left my friend a little note thanking her for her friendship and loyalty. I signed it, "Love from your Valentine."

I believe that note started the custom of exchanging love messages on Valentine's Day. It was written on the day I died, February 14, 269 A.D. Now, every year on this day, people remember. But most importantly, they think about love and friendship. And when they think of Emperor Claudius, they remember how he tried to stand in the way of love, and they laugh -- because they know that love can't be beaten!

[url= valentine[/url]

"ßeast" wrote:

wouldnt it be better that "couples get all lovey dovey" rather than a person "declaring [their] love for someone [they] secretly admire"?

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

valentines day is was just another day for chocalate and card companies to make more money jus like halloween

and jus another day for women everywhere to get more gifts out of us guys roll

i know its not a part of islam but i duno i think we muslims can make a huge deal about nothing sometimes. i mean theres some muslim lady in pakistan i think, goes around buying and burning all b'day, valentine cards that's like her jihad or something. That's going too far isn;t it? if u dont believe in it don't take part it's simple isn';t it? Why make a big wooha?

i got an unexpected gift and no i didn't bin it, it was very sweet Wink

"yashmaki" wrote:

i got an unexpected gift and no i didn't bin it, it was very sweet Wink

OOoooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
lol.... it wasnt from your kids was it? They make them make cards for their parents at school.

Back in BLACK

nah my son isn't old enuff. My hubby. i was surprised he's very much against it but i think valentine fever got a hold of him. Everytime we go to the supermarket there are little gimmicky sweet gifts everywhere so i guess he got caught up in it all?

I felt bad coz i didn't get anything, but im not one for taking gifts without returning, whilst he was at work i got him something. It was more expensive than what he got me, he felt bad then looool. i said it doesn't matter but if it makes u feel better there's always Eid for a bigger gift Wink

Well he doesn't know i'd have been happy with just a card but hey i ain't complaining about luxury chocolates. he doesn't eat chocs so they're all mine mine mine. im trying hard to finish um one after dinner every evening lol.

btw romeo and juliet were homosexual males so erm bad analogy for valentines day, can't say it kindles thgts of romance for me lol.

asalamualaikum w.w.

how to i upload photos?

i have a funny photograph of Valentine's Day in Pakistan.

jazakAllah.

w'salam

Don't just do something! Stand there.

"Ya'qub" wrote:

Why is that funny?

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]
[size=9]Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)[/size]

I just thought it was romantic

Very.

[url=
[url=

[size=10][url="Does the modern approach to life have to be obscene? I don't agree to that. Sending Valentine's Day greetings to someone you love is noble. I don't find anything vulgar about it," said a young girl here.

"Though there are going to be no parties and thrills in Kashmir, those who believed they can refuse Saint Valentine the permission to land here are mistaken," said another youth.

"He came as an undercover agent and completed his mission," he added, refusing to hide the card he had bought for someone he loved.[/color][/url][/size]

[size=10]The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.[/size]

if Amal's account of the Valetine's Day story is correct, I don't really see a problem.

If Valentine was a Christian in the third century, then doesn't that mean he was following the correct religion of the time?

It seems to me he was promoting marriage and discouraging out-of-marriage relations and also discouraging fighting in a war for an unjust and slightly loopy Emperor.

He died for the cause, doesn't that make him a Martyr?

And theres nothing in Islam that says you can't choose a certain day to celebrate for any reason. Innovation is haram is in matters of WORSHIP ONLY. If there was a special Valentine's Prayer in the mosque then THAT would be haram.

Noones forcing you to celebrate if you dont want. Why ruin everyone else's fun?

Please correct me if my view is wrong and tell me the problems in my approach. except please dont tell me we shouldnt impersonate the Kuffar, cause its too vague to derive a concrete ruling on this matter from that.

We could bury this topic til next year...

even if you do not agree with valentines day for Muslims, burning the cards etc is wrong.

If you believe only christians should practice it, let them. You have no right to use arson.

My opinion on the subject is "I Do Not Give A Damn (TM)".

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Mr Honey's Day Out" wrote:
"Ya'qub" wrote:

Why is that funny?

May be what's funny is that, the raw passion of thier love is so great that ironically it's manifested and consuming the token of love before it van be presented to the beloved. And so they took a photo before the cards were completely burnt away as proof that they did buy something for their beloveds but love itself would except nothing less that intimacy. The only tokens and forms as evidence of love it would except were those divinely sanctioned, for such is the heaviness of love that mortal forms are burned away by its intensity.

Its possible.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Not only is it possible.

Footie's on.

Its that time of the year again.

Where we all dodge anything heart shaped. And look disapprovingly at anyone who indulges in Valentines Day.

Or maybe thats just me. :oops:

Back in BLACK

Nah there are others.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Of course i am! :roll:

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I got something for my hubby, valentines is valentines! Its everywhere in your face...my hubby sends me gifts at random times, i think he will for valentines (he better!), hes not really big on it but then again i dont see it being a fuss where we live back in kashmir.

Money making scam.

I just read on a news website that a recent survey showed people dont want chocs and flowers.... all they really want is a hug and a kiss.

Awwwwwww lol.

The media, government, tried to blow us, but they can't out the flame, or doubt the name.

I'd love to receive a Valentine's anything this year. I'm considering sending someone something but it seems a bit childish, I should first make myself known ASAP. If I don't then Valentine's Day would be a perfect time for some scoundrel to move in and given that likelihood I wouldn't want to be just an anonymous admirer.

Seraphim, thanks for the reminder!

It's a nice tradition and I personally don't have any religious or commercial objections.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Well I suppose if you are going to make your intentions clear to that special someone. It may aswell be on Valentines Day... best of luck.

Back in BLACK

corny.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Allahuakbar" wrote:
Money making scam.

I agree. What is the point in paying double the money for flowers and chocolates when you can get them half price the next day lol.

why cant ppl express their love by words instead of giving gifts?

Why express your love once a year? Why not everyday?

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Pages