'Show unity on mosque'

[size=18]'Show unity on mosque'[/size]

[url=

27 December 2006
MUSLIMS condemned media reports of the 'mega-mosque' planned for West Ham and general coverage of issues concerning Islam.

Speakers at the Shalom Centre in Manor Park included Newham Respect councillor Abdul Karim Sheikh, Mobeen Anwar from the London Association of Muslim Professionals, Mudassar Ahmad from Newham Public Affairs Committee, and Yusuf Patel from Hizb-ut-Tahrir.

Cllr Sheikh said politicians and the media are guilty of trying to "exploit the current situation in order to advance their own agendas". He argued such statements do nothing "to advance the cause of community cohesion".

Mr Patel called on Muslims to engage with the wider community in order to dispel myths and misconceptions.

A four-point declaration stated that irresponsible journalism is counter-productive and divisive, while robust debate is welcome.

It also called on Muslim leaders and 'influentials' to show solidarity and unity, and all local political groupings and factions to organise a sincere debate regarding the building of the new mosque based upon the relative merits of the case and to open mosques and institutions to the wider society. This would be to demonstrate "the real values of Islam and highlight the active part our communities play in the wider society".

Fears have been voiced that the mosque could be a haven for radical Islamic ideas.

Comment:

Masjids have existed in the UK even before Muslims arrived in large numbers and are growing in number and size to cater for the phenomenal Islamic awakening among the 2nd and 3rd generation of Muslims born and brought up in the west also the increasing number of converts as well.

To say that masjids are havens for radical Islamic ideas is totally false and based on right wing scaremongering. Masjids are a place where Muslim children and adults are taught to abide by the values and ideas embodied in the Quran and the example of the prophet Muhammed saw.

Ideas like respect for elders and parents, celibacy as opposed to sleeping around, involvement in community activities as opposed to individualistic thinking, speaking the truth and involvement in non-violent Islamic political activism as opposed to being ignorant about what is happening around the world and the list is endless.

Surely such values being taught in the masjid will benefit and contribute to the well being of British society?

If the British public want to look for places where radical ideas are propagated, which lead to the deaths, suffering and poverty of millions and the radicalisation of such individuals who attack western interests ( Sometimes using their own bodies ), then i suggest the place to look is the House of Parliament and 10 Downing st.

[b]EDIT BY ADMIN[/b]

Can people PLEASE start to link properly? I will soon no longer need to fix long links as I will have a 20" widescreen monitor...

but I consider it good manners leaving your posts readable.