'Greedy' Asians

Research shows many Asian and Chinese students succumb to family pressure and only choose degrees linked to high-earning careers

"I did a BA in French and Spanish, but I got so much stick from other Asian students about it. They were incredulous that I was doing a supposedly inferior degree, when they were on business-related ones. They said: 'What sort of job will it lead to? There's no money in that."'
Jaipooja Shah, who's now doing a Master's at Manchester Business School, accuses her Asian peers of being narrow-minded. "They follow the money. They're mostly interested in how much they can earn, so head for the highest paying jobs going in business."

Shah's personal experience is borne out by research. According to the Universum Graduate Survey 2006, more than 30% of British Asians and more than 36% of British Chinese students chose business-related degrees, compared with almost 15% of white students. Meanwhile, nearly 50% of white students were enrolled on a humanities or liberal arts degree, compared with just over 25% of British Asians and almost 24% of Chinese students.

Patrick Johnson, head of diversity at University of Manchester careers service, says: "Because there is a strong, parental-fostered belief among British Asians that studying should lead to a well-respected profession, they tend to be focused on pay. We tell them that alone is not a good enough reason to go for a job. We challenge their preconceptions - they need to do thorough research on the areas they're interested in, apart from the pay, and then make a well-informed decision on whether it's right for them, or not."

They have a broad outlook on life and said to me: 'Study what you enjoy'. Asian families do have this thing, that's ingrained into you as a kid from an early age, about having a proper job, a profession. But I've always wanted to be a sports journalist. The lack of female Asian role models in the public eye reporting on sport doesn't bother me - it just makes me want to succeed even more. I'm going to go for it."

[url=

I don't see why that is greedy. Whether you want to run a business or save lives a PhD on Recurrent Themes in The Black Album won't be useful. Developing an obscure speciality in the highly opinionated humanities isn't for everyone.

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

[b][color=indigo]Nowt wrong with that, if they wana make money, then good for them!!!![/color][/b]

"Noori...*" wrote:
[b][color=indigo]Nowt wrong with that, if they wana make money, then good for them!!!![/color][/b]

Considering its legal and they've worked hard for it.

Its not always what they want though is it...in too many instance the only reason they pursue high earning jobs is cos of family pressure.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Research shows many Asian and Chinese students succumb to family pressure and only choose degrees linked to high-earning careers

All jobs that give back to the society in some way or another are valuable and should be sought after.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Its not always what they want though is it...in too many instance the only reason they pursue high earning jobs is cos of family pressure.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

All jobs that give back to the society in some way or another are valuable and should be sought after.

I have to agree with MS! I personally believe that it's not ALL about money and status. If someone has to do a degree in something that they are not interested in but due to parental pressure they have no choice then I think that is really sad. I think we all are living in an era where everyone is obsessed with money but what we forget is that at the end of the day the job we have should make us happy and we shouldn't just be working to bring in extra cash.

"Happy are those who find fault with themselves instead of finding fault with others"

i only chose my degree cos of the money

i have a summer internship in lloyds coming up and soon i'll be rolling in it :twisted:

Parents will ALWAYS want the *best* for their children - so it isnt really surprising if they want their children to be successful in life, to be financially secure or have a good standing in society, etc..

Although its not healthy to force a child to pursue a particular career - in fact it can probably be very damaging to the person involved (i could never do that, im too much of a heart person!) - perhaps we need to be a little more understanding of those parents that DO wish their children to pursue business related degrees over arty subjects - they might be wrong in their insistence, but they have sincere hearts

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

we keep forgetting we are here to work for the hereafter. we are working towards this world and we think nothing of it. i Primarily need to take heed towards this.

wordly desires need to be fought against ( i again especially need to, i just can't resist buying nice bags wen they catch my eyes even tho half my wardrobe full of them!!!)

as for degrees i really don't know wat degree i am going to pick . As i really wat to do a degree thats na benefit me in teh hereafter much more then its na benefit me here on this planet!

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil