The Revival In The Press (TV, Radio, print)

Salaam

Ed has just told me that Zahid Maqbool (Sub Editor, The Revival) has done many interviews today including being on a panel of guests on Radio 4 today.

I will add links to the programmes as soon as Ed forwards them to me.

(Quoting 'Ed: 'He did about 20 interviews including Channel 4 news, BBC news 24, Radio 5 Live, Sky News, Channel 5, ITV News, The Guardian and BBC Radio 4).

Did any of you hear the interviews? Was he any good? Do you agree with his opinions?

[b]EDIT[/b]

And here is the link from Radio 4:
[url= Radio 4[/url]

Realmedia File (So you will need either RealPlayer, or Real alternative. If you need to download one, try 'real alternative'. Its not as much a resource hog.)

More coming Soon.

Who is Zahid Maqbool?

He must be seriously good if 20 media outlets wanted to talk to him.

Most importantly, will he be posting on the forum?!?!

"irfan" wrote:
Who is Zahid Maqbool?

He must be seriously good if 20 media outlets wanted to talk to him.

Most importantly, will he be posting on the forum?!?!

He is a sub editor. (and also deals with sales/ads).

He is a really good talker, and is a regular on the 'Lets Talk Show' during the Ramadans of the last few years.

I will ask ('Ed to ask) him to take part here, but he is a busy person.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

On BBC News 24:

Quote:
[size=18]Blears seeks to reassure Muslims[/size]

...But Zahid Maqbool, editor of Revival, a magazine for Asian youths which is published in Oldham, said: "You get an understanding that she's just paying lip service."

On "simple questions" like stop and search and racial profiling "she couldn't give us a straight answer", said Mr Maqbool. ...

[url= News[/url]

Grrr! Asian Youth Magazine? And its THE Revival.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

In The Telegraph:

Quote:
[size=18]Blears says Muslims should not fear racial profiling[/size]
...But Zahid Maqbool, editor of Revival, a magazine for Asian youths, criticised Ms Blears for failing to address key questions.

"The concerns that we have with regards to policies such as stop-and-search, the non-acknowledgement of international foreign policy and the new labelling of Muslims as moderate and extreme, she did not really answer those questions in a way that I consider to be an appropriate fashion." he said...

[url=

zahid maqbool was interesting.

Become obedient to the Chief, Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam, so ALL chiefs become obedient to you.

SALAAM
[b]THE REVIVAL ON MAINSTREAM MEDIA[/b]

IT'S BEEN A BUSY DAY FOR THE REVIVAL!
The Revival has appeared on many TV and radio channels to discuss the issue of the Police 'stop and search ' tactics, extremism, imam training and much more...

[b]SOME OF THE MEDIA COVERAGE[/b]

[url= News[/url]

[url= News Again[/url]

[url= TO THE REVIVAL SPOKESMAN ON BBC RADIO 4 LIVE[/url]
(8.10am)

[url= TELEGRAPH[/url]

[url= MAIL[/url]

[url= IS LONDON[/url]

All the coverage will be on the website soon.

wasalaam

Assallamu Allaikum
[u]
[b]THE REVIVAL IN TODAYS GUARDIAN. THE ARTICLE ALSO INCLUDES SOME QUOTES FROM THIS ISSUES EDITORIAL.[/b][/u]

[b]Muslims tell Blears of price they're paying, their anger - and fears
Minister in Oldham to hear community reaction to bombs

David Ward
Wednesday August 3, 2005
The Guardian [/b]

The anti-terrorism minister, Hazel Blears, yesterday went to Oldham in Greater Manchester on the first stage of her journey to eight centres across the country in search of grassroots Muslim opinion. She listened for two and a half hours as faith leaders, councillors, young men and women came and went to tell her what they thought about the bomb attacks in London and their impact on a town far from the capital.
"I have met young Asian men from a whole wide range of backgrounds, and young women too, not just the usual kind of community leaders who usually talk to me," she said at the end of the session.

Her bridgebuilding tour came as Tory leadership hopeful David Davis waded into the debate on British Muslim identity by signalling that Muslims should integrate more into British society.

Writing in today's Daily Telegraph, he said: "Often, the authorities have seemed more concerned with encouraging distinctive identities rather than promoting the common values of nationhood." He echoed Trevor Phillips, the chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality, who has previously argued that multiculturalism is outdated.

For Ms Blears though, the visit was about listening - and reading. [b]Zahid Maqbool arrived clutching copies of the Revival, the magazine for young Muslims he helps edit. He gave one to the minister.

The magazine's leader comment made no secret of what Mr Maqbool and his team thought about those who bomb or attempt to bomb in the name of Islam.

"The London terror attacks were a nasty piece of work by sick, pathetic, blood-sucking idiots," said the Revival, which is produced in Oldham and has a circulation of about 10,000. "These attacks were a massive crime against humanity. This was ... carried out by crackpots who have no value for human life.

"They wanted to kill anyone and everyone - black, white, brown, pink, Muslim, Jew, Christian, Sikh, atheist. These kind of people, and those behind them, need to be caught and punished big time!"

After his session with the minister, Mr Maqbool told how he had firmly dissociated himself and many thousands of Muslims from the acts of terror.

"Muslims are not accepting the bombings," he said. "They were not done in our name. Why do we continue to give them the mantle of Islam? They are deranged extremists."

He added: "Their families have chucked them out. Then people come up to them in the street and say, 'God has sent me to you. This is your way to freedom.' This is how they are recruited."[/b]
Muswar Hussain, in the same session to represent Oldham social services, agreed. "People from socially deprived areas, those not engaged in the community, with no aspirations and so sense of belonging, are going to be targeted by extremist organisations."

He described the session with Ms Blears as "fantastically useful" but [b]Mr Maqbool was not so sure. "I think the end result will be a massive PR exercise," he said.[/b]
Young Muslim men from the streets of Glodwick, scene of Oldham's riots in 2001, were conspicuously absent from the civic centre and religious leaders appeared to slip away without commenting. But young women were out in force and eager to speak their minds.

"Our voices need to be taken into account and organisations need to come together to express our views," said Rasheda Khatun, 20, a student representing the Oldham branch of the women's organisation Muslimah UK. "When we unite, we will be able to have political activity and take part in the democratic process."

She told Ms Blears how life had changed for her and her friends since July 21. "We show by our dress that we are Muslims. People stare at us but, following the atrocities in London, they stare at us for a different reason now, thinking there could be a bomb under our jilbabs. This really scares us.

"Muslims have been generalised and it makes people think we are all potential terrorists. We are paying the price for what has happened and it is disgusting. We do not deserve it."

After reassurances from Ms Blears, she said she would feel more confident when walking the streets.

But Mohammad Shafiq, spokesman for the Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim youth organisation with 3,000 members in Oldham and Rochdale, was "upset and angry" because he had not been invited.

The foundation, which Mr Shafiq described as a mainstream organisation which abhors violence, hit the headlines when it offered and then withdrew an invitation to the controversial cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi to attend a conference in Manchester this weekend.

Stage managed

"[The meeting with Ms Blears] is all stage-managed and is typical of New Labour," he said. "They have picked the people. If you want to engage with young people and tackle extremism, you have to listen to them. Young people have no voice. If these leaders had engaged with these young people when they were growing up, there would not have been the bombers."

Ms Blears heard plenty about stop and search tactics and racial profiling. "I would expect that from the BNP and people like that, but not from the police," said Mohammed Miah, a 30-year-old community activist in Oldham. "People are feeling scared of the police more than they are scared of the general public."

The minister was also firmly told by several speakers that British actions in Iraq had had an effect in turning impressionable young men into suicide bombers.

"There will be very many people in this country who disagree fundamentally with the decisions the government has taken," said Ms Blears after the meetings.

"The way we deal with that in our democracy is through legitimate protest, elections and making sure our voices are heard. We have to make sure, particularly for young people and women in Muslim communities, that their voices can get through. There is no justification for violence, for suicide bombing, for blowing up innocent people in this country."
[b]
Echoing Mr Maqbool[/b], she added: "[The bombers] are terrorists, extremists, deranged, criminals and mass murderers and they seek to justify it by completely twisted and false interpretations of Islam."

yep I watched them yesterday

its really good that revival is getting involved in the media/news

good on them

Someone told me to watch Channel 4 at 7 yesterday...I was proud to see the News presenter mention the Revival statement and speak to the Sub Editor.

He was very well spoken.

I hope/pray that the Revival gets involved a lot more in the media.

SUBHANALLAH!

Become obedient to the Chief, Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam, so ALL chiefs become obedient to you.

salaam

last few posts here have disappeared.....

Question Time and Newsnight have been contacting us....

so watch this space...

we are hoping to set up a team just to work on the media...so if you want to come forward and get involved then email me asap...

wasalaam

I am Glad that the Revival is getting more interest. But I have to say looking at the sub editor views, the immediate thing that come too my head is that he seem to be trying too hard. Most of the non muslims I have spoken too since 7/7 has said that the muslims response have been on two extreme and the response they were looking for was somewhere in the middle. Which most people representing the muslims have failed to do.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"kash" wrote:
I am Glad that the Revival is getting more interest. But I have to say looking at the sub editor views, the immediate thing that come too my head is that he seem to be trying too hard. Most of the non muslims I have spoken too since 7/7 has said that the muslims response have been on two extreme and the response they were looking for was somewhere in the middle. Which most people representing the muslims have failed to do.

salaam

how do you mean kash? how was our sub editor trying too hard?
we are trying to be the middle way...not extreme and not the governments puppets.... jus say how it is with wisdom and hikmah inshallah
if we think Muslims are treated unfairly then we will speak out...and also try our best to build the bridges between the communities....

wasalaam

wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

[b]He added: "Their families have chucked them out. Then people come up to them in the street and say, 'God has sent me to you. This is your way to freedom.' This is how they are recruited."[/b]

Sorry Ed should have gave more detail. It stem from this part of the article, I seen that it possible that they may have mis quoted him here. But in my dialogue with the non muslims, the thing that hit them most about the 7/7 bombers was the fact they seem so normal and all had happy family life. Now if the Sub Ed did say this, the rest of what he said will not be taken as seriously. Plus it just my personal opinion, but when talking to people about the attack it much more easier not to get too carry away with making a point and with a couple of simple word you can make your point, there was no real need for the blood sucking bit, IMO.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

I have added the guardian quote to my report aswell.

I think what he meant was that they prey on those who have been chucked out. Or that the ones who did the acts have been disowned.

However I am not fully sure.

You guys have made a dramatic appearence in today's Observer!

Quote:
[size=12][b]Back on the street, 27-year-old Irfan Khan is distributing copies of mainstream Muslim youth magazine, The Revival. He clashes with the Hizb ut-Tahrir man, telling him he is tarnishing all groups distributing literature.

'I think they are troublemakers and a menace to Muslims in this country because what they want is nonsensical in a place like Great Britain,' he says. 'I think it's about time they banned these groups. We banned them from our mosques and they went on the roads. We can't do anything about that can we?'

- [url= Observer[/url][/b][/size]

Who is Irfan Khan?

Does The Revival back the ban on HT?

"Admin" wrote:
Salaam

Ed has just told me that Zahid Maqbool (Sub Editor, The Revival) has done many interviews today including being on a panel of guests on Radio 4 today.

Yeah, i caught that on TV.

I was like "Go bro go!! U tellum"

But then i was getting hungry so...

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

"irfghan" wrote:

Quote:
[size=12][b]Back on the street, 27-year-old Irfan Khan is distributing copies of mainstream Muslim youth magazine, The Revival. He clashes with the Hizb ut-Tahrir man, telling him he is tarnishing all groups distributing literature.

'I think they are troublemakers and a menace to Muslims in this country because what they want is nonsensical in a place like Great Britain,' he says. 'I think it's about time they banned these groups. We banned them from our mosques and they went on the roads. We can't do anything about that can we?'

Who is Irfan Khan?

i think thats Mr Admin

but I didnt know Mr Admin held these views-thats not what he said in the Ht banning thread :?

I think it's Admin too. But I doubt he'll admit it.

Maybe he was misquoted.

Nah its not me.

My view is banning them is counter productive. Not only that tey do not promote violence in the UK. If they are banned, which others will also be banned?

Groups such as the BNP openly support violence, but are not banned. Sinn Fein is affiliated with the IRA, its not banned.

Lets use the same yardstick.

I can also understand the sentiment against the HT; they are a group of stupid plonkers.

You should write to the Observer and clarify your official position regarding a ban on HT.

You don't your magazine to be misrepresented.

i can confirm thats not admin....met him 2day 1st tym...even tho i seen the guy around before...i tend not 2 approach dodgy looking geezers!

admin is a good guy tho, cudnt hurt a fly Wink

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:

Quote:

Who is Irfan Khan?

i think thats Mr Admin

but I didnt know Mr Admin held these views-thats not what he said in the Ht banning thread :?

salaam

Irfan Khan is one of our sub-editors, he is the one who writes the article ' Ali wannabe and Jamal' with myself.

The Revival disagrees alot with H.T's but we dont agree with the ban as I have explained in the other thread. I will be speaking to thE Observer regarding this.

wasalaam

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:

Quote:

Who is Irfan Khan?

i think thats Mr Admin

The Revival disagrees alot with H.T's but we dont agree with the ban as I have explained in the other thread. I will be speaking to thE Observer regarding this.

No point, they got what they wanted from you lot now.

[url=http//

salaam

well, doesn't bother me really....
we aint gonna lose sleep over it.
The Revival is clear on this sissue...this article wil generate us getting emails and then we can respond and clear our position on this.

wasalaam

salaam

well, doesn't bother me really....
we aint gonna lose sleep over it.
The Revival is clear on this sissue...this article wil generate us getting emails and then we can respond and clear our position on this.

wasalaam

Still doesn't mean that you don't have to write to the Observer.

This article wil be added to their database on you, and everytime they report on you they will assume you back the ban on HT.

Pages