Yvonne Ridley and Sami Yusuf - Take 2

[size=18][b]Post Script to Pop Culture in the Name of Islam [/b][/size]
YVONNE RIDLEY
Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I WANT you to know just how much I agonised over this particular column ... even before I tapped out the first words on my keyboard.

The reason for this personal angst is that I just know I am going to open a can of worms. This is the same can of worms which I opened when I first wrote an article expressing my concern over the pop culture around nasheed artists.

It really caused so much division in the Ummah and threatened to turn some chatrooms, blogging sites and other Internet corners into war zones.

However, I think it would be very remiss of me if I did not revisit this issue just once more time in the light of an amazing feature in the latest issue of Time Magazine.

Time journalist Lindsay Wise gives me a right pasting in the final paragraphs of the article but I'm pretty much immune to the verbal and written batterings I get these days.

But what really caught my eye was the title of the article "Meet Islam's Biggest Rock Star" with the subheading which read: "His song of peace elicit Beatle-sized frenzy in countries where even dancing is forbidden. Now devout Muslim and singing sensation Sami Yusuf brings his message to the US."

It's an interesting article about a forthcoming tour by Sami Yusuf which you can read in full on and then make your own judgment.

But essentially the story confirms all my fears about the pop mania surrounding Nasheed concerts, the behavior of concert goers and the comparison to Beatlemania. Furthermore, it appears the journalist had the full co-operation of 'rock star' Sami Yusuf during a cosey interview in a Humvee ... and the content of the feature tends to contradict what the talented brother said in his 2,000 word response to my original article. Oops Sami, bit of an own goal matey!

For instance the article opens with the words: The concert hall is charged with anticipation. The 5,000 Arabs in the audience break into deafening cheers, stomp their feet, clap their hands and chant "Sa-mi! Sa-mi!" until at last the lights go down. The orchestra swells and Sami Yusuf, 26, emerges through billows of smoke, dressed in a chic black suit and white open-collar shirt. Catching sight of him, the crowd goes crazy, screaming and whistling as though Elvis just entered the building.
The article reveals at one stage: In Yusuf's home base of Cairo, he can no longer walk down the street unmolested. "The attachment people have to Sami is beyond celebrity," observes Sharif Hasan al-Banna, co-founder of the singer's Awakening Records music label.

This is exactly the sort of behavior that I raised my concerns about in the first place ... not Sami Yusuf's singing, his lyrics or his personal life.

If he wants this sort of adulation then that's fine but why doesn't he just admit it in the first place instead of responding with a 2,000+ word response on his website (gosh, doesn't he have a lot of pictures of himself on display?)

Look upon this item as a sort of PS or postscript to my original article. As far as I am concerned that is my final word on the whole music and nasheeds issue which I believe is now being heavily debated by those who know much better than the likes of me.

I am of course referring to learned Muslim scholars across the world.

Now let me get on with the more serious issues of Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Chechnya, Kashmir, Uzbekistan, Sudan ... I could go on and no doubt I will in my next article.

[url=

Quote:
Now let me get on with the more serious issues of Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Chechnya, Kashmir, Uzbekistan, Sudan ... I could go on and no doubt I will in my next article.

Lets see if she does...

"Amal" wrote:
As far as I am concerned that is my final word on the whole music and nasheeds issue which I believe is now being heavily debated by those who know much better than the likes of me.

i'll believe that when i see it :roll:

looks like Sami's wisdom and manners were lost on her

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
looks like Sami's wisdom and manners were lost on her

atleast she learnt to be a little less scathing in her approach... Wink

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

hahah

good joke

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

mashallah i got so much respect for sister Yvonne Ridly.. may Allah keep her steadfast to keep speaking out against the fitna's which will prevail before the comming of Dajjal.

Gossip is the most destructive thing in the universe...

yup, which isnt here

what she spoke about, 'pop' was at the expoislamia concert again yday

and she was sat outside Lol

He is free, he is mad,

But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Beast" wrote:
Quote:

Lets see if she does...

Then I suggest you tune into "Politics and beyond", every weekday at 10PM on Islam Channel can watch it online Wink

"Sirus" wrote:
yup, which isnt here

did you go and talk to her then?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:
yup, which isnt here

did you go and talk to her then?

could have, chose not too

He is free, he is mad,