Pupils 'must learn about nappies'

Teenagers should learn how to bath a baby and change a nappy, a teachers' union will suggest.

Issues of discipline for toddlers and teenagers should also be covered, the national conference of the Professional Association of Teachers will hear.

Lynn Edwards, outgoing national chair of the association, will call for compulsory parenting classes for 14 to 16-year-olds.

She said many people became parents with little understanding.

'Unacceptable'

"When I came out of the maternity hospital with a little boy on one arm and a little girl on the other, I had no idea how to put on a nappy," Ms Edwards said.

"I found it unacceptable that no one had shown me."

Mrs Edwards said she was lucky because her mother lived nearby.

"Few people now are that fortunate - the extended family no longer occupies a village or urban neighbourhood."

As a result, few young people learned how to be "good parents on a practical basis" by watching other family members interacting with their offspring.

She said parenting classes should be taught in schools before children could legally become parents.

[url= NEWS[/url]

when my mum was in school apparently they used to teach her this subject then-over 20years ago

i agree that this shud be taught in school

I've tied a nappy to a babby - twice. Didn't need to be taught.

"Beast" wrote:
I've tied a nappy to a babby - twice. Didn't need to be taught.
not everyone has a baby brother on whom to practice. Wink that's kinda the point - whilst most asians have a strong family network and elders to learn such things from, mothers from other backgrounds may not be lucky enough to have as much support. they may need to be taught, although i must say it isn't exactly rocket science.

but i don't see why such things need to be taught in school - postnatal classes and midwives teach most parents the basics.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

mm i agree with Dust midwives and antenatal classes can educate parents in these areas. Also when a woman has a baby the staff on the maternity ward show them how to bathe and change a baby, how to burp them etc etc. So i don't think classes in school are really needed.

as for discipline classes well isn't it up to each parent to decide how to discipline their kids? Is it the business of the school or state to dictate how we discipline our kids? I don't see how that will work either. Discipline strategies are different for each child so will "general" classes really help?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

"When I came out of the maternity hospital with a little boy on one arm and a little girl on the other, I had no idea how to put on a nappy," Ms Edwards said.

it was taught in school in the 70's for a reason

ppl need to be taught these things

I'm a pro at it Dirol

it is rocket science for some-my sister is clueless when it comes to nappy's DESPITE having three younger siblings and loads of younger cousins

I was working at a private nursury once and was told to change a nappy....I'm not qualified to change nappy's (I'm a Primary PGCE student, I have no experience with early years)...I would have refused but we were short staffed and the baby looked so uncomfortable.

I have never changed a nappy in my life...I've always dumped nappy changing of younger siblings/cousins to my sister...this baby had me coughing in the sink and my eyes were watering, I had to calm myself cos I didnt want to puke....I managed to change her nappy holding my breath.

Nappy changing isnt diffult...its the cleaning up bit that hard. Dunno how I'll deal with my own kids in the future.

I'd say no to such lessons.

I have better things to do.

Being a good parent is like knowing how to eat IMO you can either do it or you cant. Learning to be a parent is likely to be long boring and useless. With experience will come wisedom.

But aslong as i dont HAVE to take it. I dont really care if anyone else wishes to study it. That is their choice.

Back in BLACK

well don't worry MS your own childs faeces and urine will not disgust you as much as a strangers, sounds sick but tis true lol. Yes it'll still stink but you'll put up with it, and lovingly clean up after your little bundles of joy. You'll feel a sense of achievement when you've cleaned up a big stinker Biggrin

lol yash!

I have experience with my nephs/nieces, it gets easy with experience however changin stinky nappies is no fun, I am like u MS, i do end up gagging and feel pukin up!

As long as the baby is good ie doesn't move too much then it is easy to change, a prefer changin a wet nappy to a number 2 ewwwwww

(why are we talkin bout this lol)