Take Off Hijab to Avoid Harm: UK Muslim Scholar

SALAAM

A FATWA BY DR ZAKI BADAWI- PLEASE SHARE YOUR VIEWS!

[b]
Take Off Hijab to Avoid Harm: UK Muslim Scholar[/b]

Badawi said they have registered more than 15,00 assault against hijab-clad women in only three days.

CAIRO, July 28, 2005 (IslamOnline.net) – [b]A leading British Muslim scholar has said that Muslim women living in the European country, where Muslims have been suffering mounting abuse and harassment since the July 7 London attacks, can take off their hijab.[/b]

"I have issued a fatwa that Muslim women in Britain have an Islamic right to take off their hijab at this point of time if attacked or fearing to be attacked," Dr. Zaki Badawi, the Dean of the Muslim College in London, told IslamOnline.net over the phone from the British capital.

Badawi said they have registered more than 15,00 assault against hijab-clad women during the past three days only, in addition to a flood of threat letters.

He asserted that in Islam hijab is originally meant to identify Muslim women, so that they might not be attacked or harassed.

[b]The scholar cited the Qur’anic verse which reads: "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." (Al-Ahzab: 59)

"If hijab becomes a reason of harm for Muslim women in Britain at this time, then I tell them to take it off so that they would not be recognized and consequently attacked," said Egyptian-born Badawi.

"Muslims (in Britain) are scared and each feels he/she is a suspect. The picture is, indeed, gloomy and we are trying all we can to address it."[/b]

A Guardian/ICM poll published Tuesday, July 26, indicated that nearly half a million Muslims contemplated leaving Britain after the London attacks.

It showed that tens of thousands of Muslims have suffered from increased Islamophobia, with one in five saying they or a family member have faced abuse or hostility since the attacks.

Police have recorded more than 1,200 suspected Islamophobic incidents across the country ranging from verbal abuse to one murder in the past three weeks.

A British Muslim of Pakistani origin was beaten to death by a gang of extremists in Nottingham in northern Britain on Sunday, July 10.

At least seven mosques have come under arson and racist attacks few hours after the bombings.
[b]
Hijab Defender[/b]

Dr. Badawi, a prominent Islamic scholar, community activist, and promoter of interfaith-dialogue, stressed that his fatwa only applies to Muslim women in Britain.

"I staunchly opposed the March 2004 French law banning hijab in state-run schools," he said.

"However, the British case is different and hence requires a different reading."

France triggered a world controversy after adopting a bill banning hijab in public schools and institutions, which was branded by the Human Rights Watch (HRW) as "discriminatory".

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

Badawi, born 1922, is currently the principal of the Muslim College in Britain, a postgraduate seminary responsible for the training of imams and Muslim leaders in the West which he founded in 1986.

He received his undergraduate degree in theology from the Cairo-based Al-Azhar University, and a master's degree in Arabic Language and Literature in 1947.

Badawi moved to the United Kingdom in 1951 and studied psychology at University College London, obtaining his bachelor's degree in 1954 and a doctorate in Modern Muslim Thought from London University.

His teaching posts have taken him to universities in Malaysia, Singapore, Nigeria and the United Kingdom.

In 1978, Badawi was appointed director of the Islamic Cultural Centre (ICC) and Chief Imam of the London Central Mosque in Regents Park.

During that period he participated in establishing the Shari`ah Council as a facility to reconcile conflicts between Islamic law and the British civil code.

Badawi was elected chairman of the Imams and Mosques Council by the National Conference of Imams and Mosque Officials of the UK in 1984. He still holds this position.

He participated in negotiations with the Bank of England to establish the first Islamic financial institution licensed in the United Kingdom, the Islamic Finance House (IFH), which he managed for three years.

Badawi has published and lectured on a wide range of issues, including various conflicts, Islam in Britain, democracy, the rights of the unborn child, and human rights.

He is a co-founder of the Three Faiths Forum, vice chairman of the World Congress of Faiths and director/trustee of the Forum Against Islamophobia and Racism (FAIR).

i think it would be highhanded to ridicule this. i know many women who are scared to go out and only go out when necessary because of recent events.

for me they can do what they like to keep safe.

personally i will continue to wear the hijaab for modesty's sake

i wish to continue to live like a human being and not like a scared animal - famous last words!

all events are in Allah's hands and i am optimistic

this situation is not nearly as bad as the race hatred attacks of the 70's and 80's

Tut, tut Ed. We already have the exact same topic already being discussed!

I'll let you off this time.

But here again are my views:

Muslim women with hijab are being attacked. But advising them to remove it is the wrong solution.

Muslim women without Hijab, and muslim men (also without the headscarf!) are being attacked aswell.

I myself have had stones thrown at me, been verbally abused, and attacked by a dog. Three separate incidents, and I do not wear a headscarf (obviously).

The solution is to report these offences (we all have camera phones; put them to good use!), and where possible do not be alone. No coward will attack a group. Cowards are cowards afterall.

Secondly we must show we are not intimidated. Eventually our resolve will succeed.

If mosques are attacked, the solution is not to close the mosque. If our way of life is attacked, the solution is not to abandon it.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

I myself have had stones thrown at me, been verbally abused, and attacked by a dog. Three separate incidents, and I do not wear a headscarf (obviously).

hmmm if you say so

"Admin" wrote:

The solution is to report these offences (we all have camera phones; put them to good use!), and where possible do not be alone. No coward will attack a group. Cowards are cowards afterall.

umm what take their pics, i dont think an attacker is gona stand there with a big cheesy smile and say go ahead take a pic!! unless you meant sumthin totally different, if so can u please clarify?

I think women should not take their hijabs off, its just givin in and we shouldnt do that...in fact us gals wearin this hijab puts our trust higher in Allah (swt) and through this act our iman and faith in Allah (swt) will become stronger.

There are three ways you can use a phone in this situation:

1. Call someone. preferably 999.

2. to take a mug shot. You will know before hand that someone is heading your way, so take the pic before they get to you.

3. Weapon. place the phone in the palm of your hand top being toward the thumb side, and clench it in the fish. From the bottom of the hand jab towards the mouth. If you get the lips, you will break some teeth. If you get the nose, you will break it. Either way, the attacker wil be disoriented, giving you time to flee. Remember to hit only once, or until the attacker gives up as if you keep hitting, it can be classed as assault.

If the hijab is removed, there is no guarantee you will not be attacked.

[b]Other peventative methods:[/b]

Try not to travel alone. Even to and from work, there will most likely be people living in your vicinity.

At night catch a taxi.

Use busy streets insted of 'shortcut' backalleys, fields and small streets.

Use a well lighted route.

Girls: scream. Or just make a lot of noise. :twisted: If you are a guy, just talk loudly, so if anyone is in the vicinity, they may hear the commotion, and see what is going on. If you show yourself not to be fragile, you will not give the attacker the satisfaction, and may even ward them off.

If you can think of any more, just mention them below, I may add them here.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I m not going to dignify this 'fatwa' with a reply but will suffice to ask what standing does this badawi character have in terms of shariah.

Yes i read he grauated from Al Azhar but the truth is that Al Azhar is no longer the seat of learning it once was and merely graduating from it does not give one the right to formulate opinions against divine law.

I would like to ask badawi that as a muslim man with the beard should i shave my beard off cos otherwise God forbid people will think i am a muslim!

Truth is none of these suicide bombers had beards or wore sunnah libas but rather they were camouflaged in 'normal' clothing. So really we should stick with correct Islamic dress and use it as dawah. When people call me terrorist etc i use that as a starting point to make it clear that actually the ones who do such acts dont have beards or wear loose clothing and that ones who dress like this are more likely to have a classical education of islam not a deviated version.

Become obedient to the Chief, Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam, so ALL chiefs become obedient to you.

Mr Ed I already posted that Fatwa :roll:

anyways-I'll repeat myself for ur benefit

hijaab is meant to protect (like irfan said) so if it does the opposite then it defeats objective

but this issue isnt that common and like Mr Admin said-removing hijaab dont mean that person wont get attacked

Mr Admin add to the list "making a LOT of noise" if attacked

to show how truly British we are, shouldnt we "NOT GIVE IN TO TERRORISM" (sound familiar?) Wink

i havent been out on my own after 7/7 and i havent had any problems alhumdullillah, besides a random old white man sneering 'f-ing muslims' at me (poor guy mustv got outta the wrong side of the bed that morning) :roll: Wink

although i can understand where Dr. Badawi is coming from, i dont c the need for such a drastic measure. unless maybe, for e.g. a muslim girl HAS to travel in the tube everyday to work and that too, ALONE. to me the situation doesnt seem so bad outside of central london, ideally we should go out with friends/siblings anyway.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

salaam

i think the simple question is:
[b]after 7/7 if a sister is wearing a headscarf is she most likely to get attacked/abused [u]BECAUSE[/u] of her headscarf?[/b]

because someone in a headscarf= MUSLIM! so that is a EASY TARGET! and if the verse of the Quran states : "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). [b]That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. [/b]Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." (Al-Ahzab: 59)
one of the purposes of the scarf is protection....but if the scarf gives the opposite affect and reaction...then what is one to do ?

mmmhhhh...

wasalaam

Salaam

If women are being harassed by wearing a Hijaab- Who’s to say that if a woman removes her Hijaab she won’t be harassed?

In my opinion she’d be annoyed more so, by silly teenage boys who may have been deterred if they knew that the sister was a Muslim….

In most situations guys leave girls alone if they know that she’s a Muslim and see that she is wearing a Hijaab.

In this situation is seems that a girl is damned if she does, damned if she don’t…

So she may as well keep her Hijaab on…at least this way she’s pleasing her Creator.

Wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
salaam

[b]after 7/7 if a sister is wearing a headscarf is she most likely to get attacked/abused [u]BECAUSE[/u] of her headscarf?[/b]

because someone in a headscarf= MUSLIM! so that is a EASY TARGET! and if the verse of the Quran states : "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). [b]That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. [/b]Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." (Al-Ahzab: 59)
one of the purposes of the scarf is protection....but if the scarf gives the opposite affect and reaction...then what is one to do ?

mmmhhhh...

wasalaam

Mr Ed's sounding very liberal and modern these days-

whats going on?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
salaam

mmmhhhh...

wasalaam

whats going on?

SALAAM
naah not liberal, i just try to look at everything from all angles....
Islam is not rigid
Im not saying I agree with it or diagree with it, i can see what the fatwa is about and why it has come out...

wasalaam

Ed, in the work thread u pointed out that its a 'necessity' for women to work (as a nurse, doctor, teacher).

i said in reply to that post of yours, the above things are not so much a 'necessity', but i'd like to note here that Muslim female SCHOLARS are indeed a necessity.

now dont take the following as an attack against u personally Ed, its for all members:

i am sick of Muslim men telling women how, where and when to wear hijab, jilbab or niqab. no offence but u guys have no experience in this sector, muslim women know full well what they should be wearing. i know we have many 'Alimas in our society (graduating from Darul Ulooms in Bradford, Leicester, Nottingham and other places). the question is, y are they not making their voices heard? y are they not coming out and speaking to reporters on the subject of the French ban on hijabs, or Shabina Begums case, or the seemingly controversial topic of women's status in Islam?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

whats going on?

Yup he is a liberal loony. :twisted:

I take a different stance to Ed on this (as I have mentioned before).

However what do the women on this forum think of this issue? how far would you go? Its all good everyone preaching, and counterteaching, but what do you think?

[b]
British Muslim Women Respect Fatwa, Keep Hijab[/b]

CAIRO, July 30, 2005 (IslamOnline.net) – While respecting a recent fatwa by a leading British Muslim scholar allowing them to take off hijab to avoid spiraling harassment, a number of young British Muslim women said they would keep their religious dress code and seek police protection against racists.

"As a British citizen I have every right to wear my hijab, which is part of my Muslim identity," Yusra, a University of London student, told IslamOnline.net by phone, referring to the Constitution’s freedom of religion article.

"If harassed because of my religion, I would immediately resort to the Metropolitan Police to protect me from racists."

She maintained that taking off her hijab would be tantamount to giving in to extremists and racists "who would not stop at that".

Sheikh Zaki Badawi, the principal of the Muslim College in London and chairman of the Council of Mosques and Imams in Britain, told IOL Thursday, July 28, that Muslim women in Britain can don off their hijab to head off racist attacks.

"I have issued a fatwa that Muslim women in Britain have an Islamic right to take off their hijab at this point of time if attacked or fearing to be attacked," he said, citing 15,00 assault against hijab-clad women in three days.

A Guardian/ICM poll published Tuesday, July 26, indicated that nearly half a million Muslims contemplated leaving Britain after the London attacks.
[b]
Freedom of Choice[/b]

Allaa Al-Samarai, another student, said it is up to each Muslim woman to make up such a decision.

"One might use the fatwa authorization and take off her hijab and that would be her right, but personally I will keep my hijab to gain God’s reward," she said.

Her colleague Hiba Al-Ramadani said it makes no sense that Muslim women take off their hijab whenever they face a problem.

"Otherwise, we will gradually lose our Muslim identity and this will greatly undermine the Muslim minority in Britain," estimated at some 1.7 million people, she said.

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

The issue has taken central stage in Europe particularly after a French bill banning hijab in public schools and institutions.

[b]Necessity[/b]

Wisan Al-Tikriti, a student in Leeds University, begged to differ with Badawi over the "need" to take off hijab at this crucial time.

"I respect Dr. Badawi who is trying to safeguard the dignity and protect the lives of British Muslim women," she said.

"But I do not think there is a real need necessitating British Muslims to take off their hijab."

Mokhtar Al-Badri, the deputy chairman of the Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), echoed a similar position.

"If necessity arises, we will undoubtedly back up Badawi’s fatwa," he told IOL.

Badri said "individual" racist attacks on Muslims in Britain following the London terrorist attacks do not necessitate such a fatwa.

The Muslim Safety Forum (MSF), an umbrella group of Muslim organizations advising the police, said on Thursday that attacks on Asians and religious minorities in London have leapt more than 500 percent since the July 7 bombings.

There have been more than 230 faith-related crimes recorded by London police since the attacks on the city's transport system that killed 56 people including four bombers.

But London police chief Ian Blair said racially and religiously-motivated crimes remained at a low level for a large city, despite an increase following the July 7 bombings and a failed second wave on July 21.

Heh, i was talking about the original topic. (safety, Hijab)

The following sidetopic about womens rights is a separate issue.

IMO noone should work in a place that forces a compormise. Its not limited to women. They need to work aswell.

i dont think any Hijaabi on this forum would take her hijaab off

in fact i dont think ANY hijaabi anywhere would do that

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

that's right

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

totally agree

if we start taking our hijabs off in order to 'fit in' how can we call ourselves true Muslims?

hijab is part of our deen...it is a commandment from Allah Almighty NOT a choice...if it was too hard for us to wear hijab then Allah Almighty would have said in His holy book that if it gets too hard then take it off! and we all know that aint true!

so its simple...you cant compromise your deen (hijab)

too long post, didnt read much of the comments but the suggestion is abusrd. its about the struggle, we cant change Islam coz of the Kaffir's! did the prophet SAW give up his message? the attacks on him were a million times severe!

this fatwa....i dunno who the guy givin it even is, nuff said :twisted:

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Admin" wrote:
There are three ways you can use a phone in this situation:

1. Call someone. preferably 999.

2. to take a mug shot. You will know before hand that someone is heading your way, so take the pic before they get to you.

3. Weapon. place the phone in the palm of your hand top being toward the thumb side, and clench it in the fish. From the bottom of the hand jab towards the mouth. If you get the lips, you will break some teeth. If you get the nose, you will break it. Either way, the attacker wil be disoriented, giving you time to flee. Remember to hit only once, or until the attacker gives up as if you keep hitting, it can be classed as assault.

lol wow looks like u talkin from experience?

"Hayder Sabri" wrote:
too long post, didnt read much of the comments but the suggestion is abusrd. its about the struggle, we cant change Islam coz of the Kaffir's! did the prophet SAW give up his message? the attacks on him were a million times severe!

this fatwa....i dunno who the guy givin it even is, nuff said :twisted:

Whilst I don't agree with him 101% I do see where he is coming from.

Way too many people are criticising this Scholar…and the attacks are becoming personal at times too.

I spent some time with people who were calling him every name under the sun.

All he has said is that, “Muslim women in Britain have an Islamic right to take off their hijab at this point of time if attacked or fearing to be attacked”.

This Fatwa is not for EVERY Muslim woman residing in Britain; it is only for them who fear attacks.

In Islam if one fears for their life they can even eat Haraam/drink alcohol etc even though in normal circumstances this is strictly forbidden.

People should look at the context behind this Fatwa.

if i was under attack.....and sum1 forced me to drink alcohol with a gun to my head.....i'd gladly get shot. you cant surrender, thats giving into them. if you die doing the right thing....whats wrong with that?
Imam Hussain (r.a.) was martyrd at Karbalah, and the conditions imposed on him were extreme.....he didnt surrender.
sorry if i said something about the scholar, not what i mean.....but i dont agree wholly with the fatwa bieng passed. but with that said, if some sisters fear for thier safety i wouldnt criticise them for taking it off.

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Hayder Sabri" wrote:
if i was under attack.....and sum1 forced me to drink alcohol with a gun to my head.....i'd gladly get shot. you cant surrender, thats giving into them. if you die doing the right thing....whats wrong with that?
Imam Hussain (r.a.) was martyrd at Karbalah, and the conditions imposed on him were extreme.....he didnt surrender.
sorry if i said something about the scholar, not what i mean.....but i dont agree wholly with the fatwa bieng passed. but with that said, if some sisters fear for thier safety i wouldnt criticise them for taking it off.

I understand where you're coming from brother, of course if you decided to get shot instead of drinking the alcohol inshallah you would die the death of a Martyre...however if you decided to drink it fearing for your life you wouldnt be sinful either.

I did not suggest that you said anything disrespectful to the Scholar, disagreeing with someone is not disrespect.

I was thinking of other people who stoop to name calling and get personal.

oh, not me then :roll: true, respect everyones opinion whether you agree or not. discuss not hate.

i didnt say i would be a martyr, altho i wud luv 2 be a proper one. but i always believe in doing whats right, despite the consequences it my bring.

up to our Lord whether he classes it as a sin, depends on circumstances ..... but a Fatwa like this, to me, jus shows signs of weakness. soon we'll be allowed to abandon mosques and do evrything from home - a fatwa stemming from fear of attacks on mosques

loada hullabalooh too me!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Hayder Sabri" wrote:

Hayder

u have to be in such a position before u can talk

until then its easy to talk

Pages