Islamic History

How many of you guys have studied islamic history?

Can anybody reccomend me some good sites or books?

I had a good read of wikipedia.

Not always accurate. Not always unbiased. But it has a good learning environment if keep know what the concerns are.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
I had a good read of wikipedia.

Not always accurate. Not always unbiased. But it has a good learning environment if keep know what the concerns are.

yea i read it a while a go

not very useful imo

[bro please check ur PM]

n e way does n e body thinks it is that important?

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

Yup it is

reading upon the history can provide an inspiration for todays ummah if studied correctly

dont use the internet would be my advice, unless you know some good sites...best thing are books

depends what you want to learn too....there have been many great muslim civilisations, the ottomans, the andalucians etc and some great personalities, i.e the sahaba, Khalid bin Waleed (ra), Salahuddin Ayuubi, and some more modern ones like Malcolm X.....the last 3 who can be found on the revival site as articles and the malcolm x one has a video too

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Cheers Hayder

More specifically I would like to learn about the rise of Islam and how it affected society during the first few centuries of Islam. And how the message of the Quran reached the entire world.

I heard that classical Arabic was the most spoken language in the world at that current time, not sure if that is true though. But are there any records of who were the translators at the time? Plus any records of old manuscripts where the Quran was recorded on.

How did the Quran contribute to the development/advancement/progression in society? Throughout the world not just Arabia.

The golden era’s in Islam. Any wars that took place between the first few centuries of Islam because of Islam.

I want to know much more about the pagan Arabs at the time, surely they won’t all bad?

I want to know a [u]detailed[/u] history of Makkah and Madinah. And how did people from different parts of the globe go there.

I want to know more about when the division in the ummah started.

I don’t want a biography of Muhammad but I would like to know precisely how far he did travel to spread the message.

I want unbiased facts backed up with as much evidence as possible, and no fairy tales please.

Thanks
jud

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

Quote:
Cheers Hayder

Its kool

Quote:
More specifically I would like to learn about the rise of Islam and how it affected society during the first few centuries of Islam. And how the message of the Quran reached the entire world.

I think you would have to study the time of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and shortly afterwards

Quote:
I heard that classical Arabic was the most spoken language in the world at that current time, not sure if that is true though. But are there any records of who were the translators at the time? Plus any records of old manuscripts where the Quran was recorded on.

i dont know about that, but i do know that the muslims were the best at trading, and people converted simply through trading with muslims....when they would meeet them, their approach, style and honesty won over the nonmuslisms. the muslims were also the most advanced in nearly all fields....Rhazes, Al Jaziri, Khwarizmi, Aviccena are just a few amongst the great scientists and mathematicians in history. The theologists and deep thinkers include Imam Ghazali (ra) and Hazrat Ali (Ra) who was blessed with so much wisdom that he (ra) would leave his enemies bewildered.

Quote:
How did the Quran contribute to the development/advancement/progression in society? Throughout the world not just Arabia.

Well, the Quran is full of knowledge and with it close to one, it is impossible to get misled. The Quran is full of wisdom and blessings, and was the basis for people to gain knowledge in all fields, advance in all sciences and most importantly, acknowledge that everything they knew was from Allah (swt). Hence their wasnt many limits to their knowledge.

Today bro, the muslims have left behind the Quran, and is it any wonder the muslims arent excelling? We arent setting the trends anymore unfortunately and are only at the forefront of society for the wrong reasons.

With the Quran and the correct methods of learning (for which 'instructions of the student' by Imam Zarnuji is an excellent read), Muslims can once again contribute in the right way

[code:1]The golden era’s in Islam. Any wars that took place between the first few centuries of Islam because of Islam.

I want to know much more about the pagan Arabs at the time, surely they won’t all bad?[/code:1]

the wars were nothing like today, it was the only possible situation and they were only undertaken with proper guidance. no radical calls, no crazy preachers.

no idea on the pagans

[code:1]I want to know a [u]detailed[/u] history of Makkah and Madinah. And how did people from different parts of the globe go there. [/code:1]

detailed history of Makkah and Madinah, for that the best source of information with pictures i have seen is from Dr Irfan Alawi's slideshows. his website is not sure if the info is on there.

i guess books from a good library or bookshop may help?

Quote:
I want to know more about when the division in the ummah started.

depends what division your on about. if you mean the different groups, it was known that there will be loads of groups.....something we cant help now as it started off long time ago, best thing we can do is to try working together.

Quote:
I don’t want a biography of Muhammad but I would like to know precisely how far he did travel to spread the message.

Muhammad (saw). far, very far. messengers were sent on horse across deserts and eventually Islam reached europe, africa, asia. later on i guess it came to the americas.

Quote:
I want unbiased facts backed up with as much evidence as possible, and no fairy tales please.

none given, and you can study non-muslims works as well...they will tell you the same. check out the 1001 inventions website, and do a lil research on the 9th century muslims...that century produced some of the great inventors and scientists.

and also look out for the next issue of the revival, there should be something on this by me Blum 3

Quote:
Thanks
jud

No probz, your alryt like this you know. knew you wasnt 14 Wink

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

The early were exactly like today, but with less sophisticated weaponry.

People gloss over this, but most changes of leadership were brutal. Supporters of the previous rulers would be incarcerated enmasse. Many people killed.

Look at the Umayyad and Abassid dynasties. a lot of blood was spilt.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"judda" wrote:
I want to know much more about the pagan Arabs at the time, surely they won’t all bad?

no they weren't all bad, there are good people in every society. even pre-islamic arabs were renowned for their generosity and hospitality. but still, they worshipped idols and many practiced female infanticide. that kinda overshadows their good characteristics i think. islam encouraged their good traits and made them leave the bad.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"judda" wrote:

[color=magenta]
there's like three really thick books called [/color]
[color=red][b]
HISTORY OF ISLAM

By Maulana Akbar Shah Khan Najeebabadi[/b][/color]
[color=magenta]
its from the time of the Prophet PBUH to the current era, its really thick i still havent finshed reading it but so far its really good[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

"judda" wrote:

Ive studied history at A-level and wish i could do it at degree level but as a degree its not specific enough for a particular career.

History is amazing, you should know where you come from to know who you are, know your people and origins of your religion , we are all shaped by our history.

All you need is a thirst for knowlegde , seek and you shall find, libraries and book stores always have great books but the internet is great you can find out about anything jus by using search engines.

Alhumdullah as muslims we have an glorious history to be proud of, we once had a vast empire that was at its peak in the caliphate of Umar (r.a), where we defeated the romans and the persian armies who both had larger armies , however it was due to the great general Khalid bin Walid (may allah reward him) who instigated the victories, the islamic empire at its peak strecthed from spain to north africa to china , Another great figure is Salahuddin ayyubi who won back jerusalem from the christian armies who occupied jerusalem and the holy lands for 89 years, salahuddin was a great general who instigated the battle of hattin (read the salahuddin article) and had a duel with the greatest knigth of them all richard the lionheart and succeeded

In addition islamic history shows how civilised, innovative and marvellous the islamic empire was compared to the rest of the world
In one incident in the crusades e.g. two christian soldiers had been wounded in the leg , along came a muslim doctor who sed all he needs was apply these heated herbs to the wound, the christian doctor sed thats impossible and the arab doctor should not be trusted and suggested the leg be amputated, then he cut off the leg using a saw to chop through the bone as there was no anesthetic yet the soldier died in result of shock , thereafter the other soldier asked the muslim doctor for help who applied the herbs which killed off the germs and a day later he was fine, In the crusades the christian armies would ask for muslim doctors as the european doctors were barbaric and a century behind in technology

"Sirus" wrote:

No probz, your alryt like this you know. knew you wasnt 14 Wink

ur right i aint

remember my b'day thread?

as for the 1001 inventions which were the `best`?

me can't find a list of all 1001

"Admin" wrote:
The early were exactly like today, but with less sophisticated weaponry.

[b]People gloss over this[/b], but most changes of leadership were brutal. Supporters of the previous rulers would be incarcerated enmasse. Many people killed.

Look at the Umayyad and Abassid dynasties. a lot of blood was spilt.

so u mean the leaders in muslim countries those days were no better then pigs like the saudi royal family?

[size=10] damn! i need to stop calling every1 i hate a pig,
note to self: MUST respect royalty....[/size]

"nAS786" wrote:

Alhumdullah as muslims we have an glorious history to be proud of, we once had a vast empire that was at its peak in the caliphate of Umar (r.a), where we defeated the romans and the persian armies who both had larger armies , however it was due to the great general Khalid bin Walid (may allah reward him) who instigated the victories, the islamic empire at its peak strecthed from spain to north africa to china , Another great figure is Salahuddin ayyubi who won back jerusalem from the christian armies who occupied jerusalem and the holy lands for 89 years, salahuddin was a great general who instigated the battle of hattin (read the salahuddin article) and had a duel with the greatest knigth of them all richard the lionheart and succeeded

In addition islamic history shows how civilised, innovative and marvellous the islamic empire was compared to the rest of the world

thats the stuff i wanna know

the islamic empire

know any good books?

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

It was absolutely brutal.

Most 'Muslim Folk heroes' were either killed by other muslims, executed by the state or imprisoned til they died.

Seccession was absolutely brutal, and involved alot of blood being spilt. Popular supporters of the last ruler would have to be removed along with others with enough power that they may become a threat.

If you are interested, you can read wikipedia. Start [url=, with Amir Muawiya, the first Ummayyad Khalifah. at the bottom of each page is a link to the next. Interesting reading.

[url= bin Abdul Aziz[/url] was poisoned to death.

[url= Abu Hanifa[/url], the person who started hanafi fiqh died in Prison after being tortured.

So did [url= bin Qasim[/url], the reputed conqueror of India also died in prison after being tortured.

And there is much much more.

:?

is there anything to be proud of??

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

There is plenty to be proud of.

There were many many scientific discoveries. a flourish of arts.

All I am saying is that it was also very brutal.

But at the normal person level, the Muslim world was pretty advanced, and far less brutal than elsewhere.

Under the rule of Umar bin Abdul Aziz, the people were so well taken care of that there was noone left to give zakaah to.

At the top there was also chaos. You have to remember is that it was not all fluffy.

It;s alot of people hide the brutality of life behind the achievements. There were many many achievements, but it was still not easy pickings. People has to live their lives.

Right now we live in a world of grey. Nothing we do has any real consequence. But back then it was a little more black and white. you either good or evil. You were either rewarded or punished. not always rewarded for good, not always punished for evil. sometimes rewarded for evil, and punished for good.

"Admin" wrote:
There is plenty to be proud of.

There were many many scientific discoveries. a flourish of arts.

thats the stuff i wanna know about Blum 3

Well, you can start [url=, and click links as to what interests you.

Wiki's are absolutely awesome for such reasons.

[b][color=indigo]Well, stop being lazy and do the research for yourself if your so botherd.[/color][/b]

"Noor...*" wrote:
[b][color=indigo]Well, stop being lazy and do the research for yourself if your so botherd.[/color][/b]

lol Noor

i was only asking for recomendations on sites and books

i appologise if i have upset u

i didn't mean to

i hope the mods and admin dont mindme asking

if u do just delete the whole thread

so much for an islamic forum :roll: a bit like the UN innit Noor? a load of BS

language!

and wikipedia is a brilliant resource.

Not always accurent, but it has alot of knowledge on there. It is easily accessible, and it links to relevant topics.

(all main words in articles are links to related subjects. Now that is ubercool).