Lottery/Lotto

salaam
Iam sorry I vaguley remeber seeing a thread with this name but I couldnt seem to find it.

I have always been told that participating in the lottery/ looto is haraam. simply because the winnings are not halal, as any money we as muslims have or earn has to be worked for, has to come from our own "flesh and blood" so to say. Any money made from the selling of alcohol or other haraam substances is haraam and so is the lotto.

However I have also been told that when Allah(swt) wills he gives and when he wills he takes. Therefore isnt winning the lottery his way of giving in excessive amounts, to those whom he thinks worthy.

I dont mean to contradict myself, nor am I wiling to take part in the lottery as the odds are ridiculous. I am just curious

Its taking a gamble is it not?

putting money down....on a hope to get lucky.....and win loads

gambling is clearly haraam

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Saadia Khan I understand you clearly.

You can't do haraam then turn it into halal for the Sake of Allah. Any winnings gain from gambling is haraam and if one was to give it way to charity then it surly will nullify your good deeds, anyone with a better clarifications?

Allah Most High says:

Quote:
“They ask you concerning wine and gambling. Say in them there is great sin and some benefit for men. The sin is greater than the benefit.” (Surah al-Baqarah, V. 219)

The above verse did not clearly prohibit gambling, thus many Companions (Allah be pleased with them), understanding the tone of discountenance, abstained from consuming alcohol and engaging in gambling. However, some were still involved in these two acts until Allah Most High revealed the following verse:

Quote:
“O you who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of Satan’s handwork: Abstain from such (abomination), that you may prosper. Satan’s plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: Will you not then abstain?” (Surah al-Ma’idah, V. 90-91)

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Gambling money is haram, however I think the reason why it is wrong is due to possible consequnces. People who become addicts always end up makin their life miserable and trouble others in the stage.

Gambling is Haraa because it says so in the Qur'an.

The negatives that are greater tha the positives are a secondary (but valid) concern.

Muslims have this habit of over complicating things. Keep it simple.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

[color=magenta]OMG yesterday i saw one of the most saddest scenes ever, i was on my lunch break at 6th form n i think jummah namaz just finished i went to a newagent n i saw to elder men in their islamic gear playing the lottery they were proper bearded i really wantd to say somethng but i couldnt i felt like crying its so disgusting seeing uncles playing the lottery[/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

The first winner of Britain's national lottrey was a Pakistani Muslim from Blackburn.

Dunno if he kept the money.

What if I won £10 million and felt really guilty and gave it all away to charity.

Would that be a fair Repentance?

"latifah" wrote:
What if I won £10 million and felt really guilty and gave it all away to charity.

Would that be a fair Repentance?

You still lost your £1 by buying the lottery ticket :roll:

"(*_Shazan" wrote:
Saadia Khan I understand you clearly.

You can't do haraam then turn it into halal for the Sake of Allah. Any winnings gain from gambling is haraam and if one was to give it way to charity then it surly will nullify your good deeds, anyone with a better clarifications?

I'm fairly sure that: The winnings (perhaps not including £1 as that muchwas your own wealth) are not amaal, i.e. giving them away to charity is not a good or bad deed. Its neutral.

The act of dissaciating yourself from the Haraamly obtained money combined with sincere Tawbah would hopefully be accepted.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Im not sure if this is the correct place but Gambling is linked to lottery innit so what about gambling in general.

Playing lottery, having the occasional flutter, drinking moderately are widespread amongst us muslims now but what about those who are gambling addicts/alcoholics?

It messes everything up soo badly and depresses everyone no end. As this is lottery thread I'd just like to say some stuff about gambling. When the person becomes addicted to it it reaches a stage where he will steal from his family members, lies no end to obtain money from any source to gamble, sometimes even take others property and pawn it in the hope of winning. And there doesnt seem to be anything to pull the person away from this - da'wah, counselling, no money, tight control, harshness, softness, trusting them, being suscpiscious - in all cases it seems hopeless to get the person away from this hell they are living in.

We should make dua for those who have an addiction - of any sort be it gambling or alcohol or drugs or thieving or whatever cos it's destructive and extremely hard for the addict and for the family and for the community in general.

Sometimes it breaks a person when they see a brother in such a situation and it appears that no matter what you do it doesnt help or change owt. How can a person live a life as an addict - that aint a life is it?

Imagine all those young muslim men who are addicted to gambling/alcohol - how are they gonna have a happy married life and peace and contentment? Sure they'll get married to someone but happiness wont be written for her or for him or for their kids. Sad

just make dua innit.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

You cannot give it away to a religious cause. Just secular.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
You cannot give it away to a religious cause. Just secular.

depends on yr sect.

Theres one person - dnt wanna mention his name - but his fatwa in this regard is famous. He says such monies can be used to build mosque carparks, mosque toilets. May ALLAH save us from such juhhaal. ameen

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

^^money obtained via haram means is haram end of.

"Angel" wrote:
^^money obtained via haram means is haram end of.

I knw but try telling that to that geeza innit.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

couldnt find the gambling thread, wheres the search option gone?

anhow, was reading the asian news and the asian leader...and in both, they got article about Arshad Hussain - Europes no1 poker champion....and gona compete to be the best in the world

proffessional poker player from accrington - clearly haraam right? the newspapers were promoting him and the game :shock:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
wheres the search option gone?

I recall admin saying he has removed it....check with him first, I may be wrong.

"Muslim Bro" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

I recall admin saying he has removed it....check with him first, I may be wrong.

DO a quick search of the forums for the answer.

:twisted:

"Admin" wrote:
"Muslim Bro" wrote:
"Sirus" wrote:

DO a quick search of the forums for the answer.

:twisted:

Freshi is right, the search option is gone, what happened Admin?

I got rid of it.

Over half the database was full of search terms etc... and google still gives better results.

So I asked people to trust google.

Eventually I will put a google site search link somewhere like I have on the main site.

"Admin" wrote:
I got rid of it.

Over half the database was full of search terms etc... and google still gives better results.

So I asked people to trust google.

Eventually I will put a google site search link somewhere like I have on the main site.

Another task added to your over streach work load. :roll: Good Luck

"Admin" wrote:
Gambling is Haraa because it says so in the Qur'an.

The negatives that are greater tha the positives are a secondary (but valid) concern.

Muslims have this habit of over complicating things. Keep it simple.

I have to say that I totally agree with this comment.

I think this comment should sum up the whole answer.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

"(*_Shazan" wrote:
[b]Freshi is right[/b], the search option is gone, what happened Admin?

Who.....me?