Zarqawi killed in Iraq air raid

[color=darkblue][b]Militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has been killed, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has announced.[/b]

"We have eliminated Zarqawi," Mr Maliki said at a news conference in Baghdad, sparking sustained applause.Zarqawi was considered the figurehead of the Sunni insurgency. He was leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, blamed for killing thousands of Shias and US forces.The US said he was killed in an air strike "approximately 8km (five miles) north of Baquba". The head of US-led forces in Iraq, General George Casey, said the strike against an "isolated safe house" took place at 1815 (1415 GMT) on Wednesday."Iraqi police were first on the scene after the air strike," he said, followed shortly afterwards by coalition forces.

Jordanian-born Zarqawi was said to have been in a meeting with associates at the time. Several other people were reported to have been killed in the raid.General Casey said Zarqawi's body was identified through fingerprints, facial recognition and known scars. He promised to give more details on the raid later on Thursday.Reports say a statement on the internet attributed to an umbrella group for jihadi organisations including al-Qaeda in Iraq has confirmed Zarqawi's death.
[b]
Jordanian role[/b]

Zarqawi was not a global mastermind like al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, says the BBC's security correspondent, Frank Gardner.Instead he was a bloodthirsty and violent thug, who made enemies and several mistakes that might have contributed to his downfall.These included ordering a triple suicide bombing against hotels in Amman, Jordan, last November, that killed 60 people, our correspondent says.

A Jordanian official told the Associated Press that Jordanian agents had contributed to the operation against Zarqawi.The US ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, said Zarqawi's death marked "a great success for Iraq and the global war on terror... Zarqawi was the godfather of sectarian killing and terror in Iraq".But he cautioned that it would not end bloodshed in the country.Violence continued on Thursday as 13 people were killed and 28 injured in a bomb on a Baghdad market, police said.
[b]
Millon-dollar bounty[/b]

Zarqawi was accused of leading the rash of kidnappings and beheadings of foreign workers.It has been suggested that he appeared personally on one video posted on the internet, cutting off the head of an American hostage.A video released in April showed Zarqawi shooting an automatic rifle and berating the US for its "arrogance". The video provided the most up-to-date picture of the fugitive.Mr Maliki said intelligence from Iraqi people had helped track down Zarqawi, who had a $25m (£13m) price on his head - the same bounty as that offered by the US for Bin Laden."What happened today is a result of co-operation for which we have been asking from our masses and the citizens of our country," he said.

Shortly after the Zarqawi announcement, the Iraqi parliament approved Mr Maliki's nominees for the key posts of defence and interior ministers.The two crucial roles had remained unfilled despite the formation of a coalition government last month.
[b]

No offence to the allied intel, but have they recovered a body yet?

EDIT

Well they have a picture on the beeb, so that answers my question.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Kudos!

Admin,

Yes they have.

"DEBKAfile" wrote:
[b]US military shows picture of dead Zarqawi[/b]
[size=9]June 8, 2006, 4:02 PM (GMT+02:00)[/size]

[img]

Coalition commander: A woman and child were among the seven aides killed with him. A DNA test is being performed to confirm his identity beyond doubt after his fingerprints checked out. Zarqawi was killed after weeks of intelligence work.

[url= Debka[/url]

Also: [url= video of the strike[/url] ( - the server is very busy and slow at the time of posting, you may wish to check back later).

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

And may he rot in hell, this is a good morning!

Quote:
[size=18]Oil prices fall on Zarqawi death[/size]

Oil prices have dropped below $70 a barrel on news that militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed in Iraq.

In New York, the benchmark contract of light sweet crude fell $1.47 to $69.35 a barrel, while in London a barrel of Brent crude fell 77 cents to $68.42.

Prices had already been on the slide because of healthy oil stocks in the US and an easing of tensions with Iran.

On Wednesday, former US central bank chief Alan Greenspan had warned that oil prices were hurting the US economy.

[b]Symbolic?[/b]

Jordanian-born Zarqawi was seen as the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, and a figurehead of the Sunni insurgency. His group has been blamed for numerous kidnappings of both Iraqis and Westerners.

"The hope is that with the removal of the terror leader in Iraq, the Iraqi situation will stabilise faster and future oil supply could increase," said Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz.

However, some analysts questioned whether the death of Zarqawi would in fact weaken the insurgency in Iraq.

According to Mike Guido, an analyst at Societe Generale, the death of Zarqawi "seems to be more of symbolic accomplishment".

Edward Meir of MAN Financial warned that "the situation in Iraq has now become so chaotic, that it transcends the death of one man, influential as Zarqawi was."

"The price decline we are seeing today may therefore be limited in scope after the initial selling is over," Mr Meir added.

The insurgents had frequently targeted Iraqi oil installations, and Iraqi oil output has still not recovered to anywhere near the level the government was hoping for.
[url= News[/url]

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Indeed we belong to Allah and to Him is our return

so whats the deal with this Zarqawi dude..? Not really had time to look into him. From what I've seen people really hate him..

but why.. I heard he's quite ruthless and has killed loads,.. but isn't he at war? i mean thats what people do at war don't they, kill each other?

like don't all jump at once and say I'm a zarqawi supporter.. cos I'm not,.. not got enough intelligence to base a judgement on the guy..

i just wanna know why everyones a Zarqawi hater..

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

He targets other Iraqi;s instead of the invading forces.

So noone can really justify his actions.

You can justify attacks against invaders, but not against innocent civillians.

He is so hated that about a moth or two ago he had to actually give up his post in his organisation up to someone else.

I hate the global (physical) jihad movement, as you know. I find it full of arrogance, lies, inhumanity and nastiness, the strategy is to justify anything on the basis of Islamic superiority, and they think it apt retribution for their complaints to ruin societies to the point where what they call shariah might not look like such a bad alternative. Al Qaeda are now operating in Sinai and Gaza and it is yet another group that is not willing to align with other Muslims and so will continue to kill even if there is a de facto peace. Zarqawi ordered the bombs a few months back in Amman and to an extent the ones in Egypt and that heralded quite a sea change in Arab attitudes to him, let alone that he blew up Iraqis including attacks on mosques. His al Qaeda infrastructure remains strong, however, and though he was a big fish this is only a small victory. His successor is Abdallah Bin Rashid al-Baghdadi.

"Admin" wrote:
No offence to the allied intel, but have they recovered a body yet?

EDIT

Well they have a picture on the beeb, so that answers my question.

:?

You posted that edit almost an hour after I had already answered your question.

"khan" wrote:

He's responsible for planning lots of suicide and roadside bombs; not forgetting some beheadings.

I think he's killed more civilians than the US soldiers.

well, I missed your update of your post... or I was not paying attention.

See my room at home is tiny, with a massive south-facing window.

After years of comlaining, today I bought a desk-fan. Just basking in the cool air!

and 100, you give too much credit to the man. There is no way he has (well, had) the power to exert control over such a large area.

And Palestinians groups all are unanimous in declaring Alqaeda (and the previously separate Alqaeda in Iraq) as terrorist organisations, which they have no affiliations, nor do they want any.

Do not link diferent causes into one. Then you get into a situation where nothing is solvable.

Admin,

I was specific in what I said and I agree al Qaeda is not Hamas and it is a fact that the recent Dahab explosions were al Qaeda and it is a fact they now have extensive bases in the Sinai and Gaza and it is a fact that Zarqawi ordered the bombs in Jordan, in fact he was a local thug and they never liked him much. Thank you for the word of warning.

I love you very much but please do your homework before you post that kind of thing.

"Muslim Bro" wrote:
"khan" wrote:

He's responsible for planning lots of suicide and roadside bombs; not forgetting some beheadings.

I think he's killed more civilians than the US soldiers.

Speaking of which is anyone else concerned that this (very good) news will overshadow the investigation into the Haditha massacre?

I don't think I trust the military or the administration to follow up there without serious pressure at home and abroad - and with the death of Zarqawi it's easy to let that disappear into the fog of war.

I do not think pressure on those investigations will drop.

However that does not mkean there will still be a free investigation... even over Ishaqi the Iraqi government does not agree with the US findings.

And while Zarqawi is a big catch. he had recently stepped aside from the leadership, so his death will probbaly not make much of a diference to the overall insurgency.

However the evidence recovered from the scene may make some diference.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Speaking of which is anyone else concerned that this (very good) news will overshadow the investigation into the Haditha massacre?

Actually now that you mention it I think (for the US) this might be a very good time to brush the Haditha massacre under the carpet.

But I think the investigation into the massacre has already started and the US atleast gives its soldiers a few years in prison unlike the UK who don't do anything.

Innaa lillahi wa innaaa ilayhi raaji'oon.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

ne1 interested in an iraqi eyewitness account of the veiling from this world of ZarqawiS then PM me inshaALLAH.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
an iraqi eyewitness account of the veiling from this world of ZarqawiS
huh? are u referring to his death? why can't you just post it here?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

...why would we want something like that? Sounds a bit morbid

"Don Karnage" wrote:

can't be worse than the disgusting pic they plastered on the BBC website. :? they never usually show dead people.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
can't be worse than the disgusting pic they plastered on the BBC website. :? why do they have to show dead people.

To show that Zarqawi is really dead for the people who might not believe them.

They also killed Zarqawi's 16 year old wife and their 18 month old son.

"The Great 100" wrote:

:shock: what?! that's horrible I thought they were in Jordan!

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

can't be worse than the disgusting pic they plastered on the BBC website. :? they never usually show dead people.

I noticed that they've been doing that ever since uday and whateverhisnamewas hussein... It's rather barbaric and I wish they would stop. I see the practical reasons for doing it but it's irresponsible and debased.

"The Great 100" wrote:

Haaaang on... 16 year old wife and 18 month son? 14 and a half?! What the hell is that about?!

Quote:
Haaaang on... 16 year old wife and 18 month son? 14 and a half?! What the hell is that about?!

Are you Muslim?

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Haaaang on... 16 year old wife and 18 month son? 14 and a half?!

When she gave birth.

"The Great 100" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
Haaaang on... 16 year old wife and 18 month son? 14 and a half?!

When she gave birth.

How anyone can admire this man is beyond my comprehension.

Admiring or condemning him shouldnt be based on the fact he had a young bride and a young son.

There is no link in my view between that and his executions and killing sprees.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Quote:

Quote:
How anyone can admire this man is beyond my comprehension.

The Prophet (Saw) married Aisha (ra) when she was nine.

Do you have anything to say about that, fool?

Pages

Topic locked