The New Al-Qaeda

The New Al-Qaeda: jihad.com

Peter Taylor's three part series examines the new al-Qaeda which has emerged and the threat it poses to the West. The first part, jihad.com explores how the internet has become the lifeblood of the new al-Qaeda.

The internet has been key in pulling together the shattered remains of the organisation that operated before the invasion of Afghanistan, according to the general running the Iraq war, Lt Gen John Abizaid.

Following a year-long investigation, and just over two weeks after the London bomb attacks, BBC reporter and terrorism expert Peter Taylor peers into the murky world of the internet jihadi.

He discovers how bloodthirsty videos are made in Iraq and circulated by webmasters in the UK and elsewhere, in an underground broadcasting network.

This one-hour documentary traces the link between videos from Iraq shown on websites, including beheadings and car bombs, and recruitment of international volunteers joining the insurgents.

It challenges the webmaster Mohammed Al-Massari, who runs a website from his home in London and sees nothing wrong with such images being shown on his site.

The programme also explores the story of Babar Ahmad whom US prosecutors accuse of having pioneered al-Qaeda's activities on the internet in the late 1990s from his office at Imperial College in London.

[b]The New Al-Qaeda: jihad.com will be shown on Monday 25 July 2005 at 2100BST on BBC Two[b][/b]

that programme talked about the "evidence"they have on Babar Ahmad

e.g website, materials etc

I remember listening to his wife on Islam channel and she mentioned that there was no such stuff in her house

I couldnt believe how sly that woman was who went to some chat place pretended to be "khatijah" got that guy to link up with her and set him up to the FBI

guys on their way to do jihad shouldnt really be chatting to girls on Chat

At the web-monitoring place in Philadelphia there were pictures on the walls of terrorists and their symapathisers. They had a pic of ObL, Ayman al Zwahiri, Ramzi bin Yusuf, Kalid Sheikh Mohammed etc etc.

But what :shock: me was was that they had a picture of Sheikh Yusuf al Qaradawi!

it made me realise that we should be careful who we're talking to/what we say

since EVRYTHING is monitered

emails are tapped

irfan what did u make about Babar Ahmad after watching this programme?

If he was the webmaster of a dodgy website then it should be no surprise he's been arrested. But deportation is pushing it.

his wife is sayin sumin diff tho

she claims they had NOTHING in the house at all

that programme said he was behind some website and had lots of terrorist information

v confusing :?

butI still cant get over that lady setting up the jihadi guy-she was very sly

At the very beginning of the documentary the narrator said something along the lines of, I do not beleive Al Qaeda is an imagined phenomenon and I do not think that the Al Qaeda threat is exaggerated.

I'm thinking this programme is the BBC's response to the negative pressure put on it after the Power of Nightmares series.

dat power of nightmares programme is now looking like a load of pap...

were r da makers of dat now?

dey been a bit quite in da last few weeks aint dey?

dat fella who puts murders on his website shuld be nicked quicktime...

and all his followers...

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

"St George" wrote:
dat power of nightmares programme is now looking like a load of pap...

were r da makers of dat now?

dey been a bit quite in da last few weeks aint dey?

What were they saying before the last couple of weeks? They only made the doc then answered some questions from viewers. They've been quiet for the last few months, never mind weeks.

The case they made was that govs exaggerate the Al Qaeda threat. And they do.

dey said an attack on us was unlikely...

dey were obviously wrong

why not admit it, and say “we r idiots, and dont know wot da hell we chatting about”

then id respect there honesty..;

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

They never said an attack was unlikely. They said that the danger is not as big as govs make it out to be.

Quote:
[size=12]The programmes did not say that there was no threat. What they argued was that although there is a serious threat of terrorism from some radical Islamists, the nightmare vision of a uniquely powerful hidden organisation waiting to strike our societies is an illusion.

The question the series tried to answer was why contemporary politicians and other elites, like the media, want you to feel frightened - to behave and feel like a hedgehog trapped on a motorway - when the reality and the scale of the threat is actually very different. [/size]

Adam Curtis
Writer, Producer and Narrator, The Power of Nightmares

[url=

well, after da last few weeks, id say da danger was just as big as da gov feared..

i saw those programmes, and dat aint wot they implied...

dat programme suggested we r worrying over nothing...dey were wrong...

dey said da threat was largly imagined, or invented by politicans/spys who wanted to scare us into stricter laws...dey were wrong...

ting about middle class, guardian reading, liberals, is dat they can never admit when their clever, clever assumptions r totally wide off da mark...

those nightmares turned out to be frighteningly real...

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Al Qaeda poses a danger. The programme-makers admitted that. It's not their fault that some people weren't paying attention.

Many other terrorist organisations have posed a danger in the past. But govs have never been so eager to pass ever more stricter and ever more draconian laws.

This current 'War on Terror' is presented as some global apocalyptic battle between good and evil. Such a presentation is an exaggeration.

To say that Al Qaeda poses a threat to the West's way of life and freedoms is an exaggeration. Gov warnings and coersion endanger the West's way of life. Laws which curtail freedoms endanger freedoms. But according govs it is Al Qaeda which threatens the West's way of life and freedoms.

'War' is 'peace'.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
his wife is sayin sumin diff tho

she claims they had NOTHING in the house at all

that programme said he was behind some website and had lots of terrorist information

v confusing :?

butI still cant get over that lady setting up the jihadi guy-she was very sly

He was a terrorist

Didn’t 7/7 affect u

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

I consider that a serious threat!

Why should she be allowed to get away with saying that!

I don't want to get into an argument with you.

You'll only drag me down to your level.

Why should she be allowed to say that?

Lilsis whats ur excuse?

Salam

Jedda. She did not say anything wrong. Also, she can say anything she wants. This is a free country.

Mr Ahmad is still the accused.

The fact of the case, whether he is guilty, or not, will come only after a court of law convicts him.

Or didn't you know this procedure. Idiot.

Omrow

no i cant say i knew the procedure, explain it to me o wise one

Salam

"Judda" wrote:
no i cant say i knew the procedure, explain it to me...

Its really simply Jedda.

Lets take you an an example:

Even though we know you a Wahhabi moron, we still do not fry your stupid little brain until we prove in a court that your ass is imbecile.

In US, since Jan 2002, they would fry your brain FIRST and THEN they prove it in court.

Omrow

Omrow cut out the wahabbi jibes.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Omrow" wrote:
In US, since Jan 2002, they would fry your brain FIRST and THEN they prove it in court.

does that still happen?

No. Didn't you hear ? Now they have gone back to the civilised ways.

Lol whats that then?