Juma Mubarak!

691 posts / 0 new
Last post

Shabbat Shalom.

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

is that a greeting, shabbat shalom?

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

"zara" wrote:
is that a greeting, shabbat shalom?

Yup, it means Sabbath of peace:

Quote:
Shabbat Shalom
January 20, 2006

Berel Lang of Wesleyan University writes to ask if I would "consider tracing the genealogy of the Hebrew Sabbath greeting 'Shabbat Shalom' — specifically, when it entered popular discourse." And he continues: "My hunch is that it is a) modern and b) secular, that is, deriving from the generally nonreligious world of Zionist pioneers in 20th-century Palestine, and from the problem that religious traditions posed for them. (The phrase is not, after all, a translation of the traditional Yiddish greeting, a gutn shabbes, 'A good Sabbath!') I've asked a number of Jewish studies scholars about this, but have so far drawn a blank."

Berel Lang's hunches, it so happens, are both wrong. The expression "shabbat shalom," literally, "Sabbath of peace," is neither modern nor secular in origin. The one thing Mr. Lang is right about is its being Palestinian, since it originated in the Galilee, in the city of Safed, in the mystical circle of renowned kabbalist Isaac Luria (1534-1582) — also known by an acronym of his name, forming the Hebrew word for "The Lion," as Ha-Ari.

Luria and his disciples had many unique practices, the best guide to which can be found in the Hebrew book "h.emdat Yamim," "The Adornment of Days," written in Jerusalem in the 17th century. Although its anonymous author was not, as he was once reputed to be, Nathan of Gaza, the "prophet" and apostle of the false Messiah Sabbetai Zevi — he apparently was, besides being a follower of Lurianic customs, a Sabbatian sympathizer. In a chapter on Sabbath observance, he declares that after leaving synagogue at the end of the Musaf service Saturday morning, a Jew should "go directly home in great joy instead of meandering here and there [to visit friends or neighbors] and say in a loud voice when he enters [his home], 'Shabbat shalom u'mevorakh,' and sit down at the table dressed in white like an angel of God."

The word u'mevorakh, which means "and blessed" in Hebrew, is puzzling in this context, inasmuch as, a grammatically masculine and singular form, it is not clear to whom or what it refers. It cannot be to the Sabbath, since shabbat in Hebrew is feminine, as is the traditional image of the Sabbath as a queen or bride; yet neither can it be to the members of the greeter's family, in which case it would be u'mevorakhim, in the plural. Perhaps it refers to the good angel who, in kabbalistic belief, accompanies every Jew during the Sabbath and is here being welcomed to the greeter's home, just as the Sabbath angels are welcomed in the hymn Shalom aleykhem, mal'akhei ha-sharet ("Welcome in peace, ministering angels"), that is traditionally sung around the Friday night table. Perhaps the answer lies in some other Lurianic precept.

In any case, shabbat shalom u'mevorakh was a Sabbath greeting that spread from Lurianic circles in Palestine to other Sephardic communities in the Middle East. It came to be used during the entire Sabbath, not just after the Saturday morning prayer, and was eventually divided into a greeting and response, the first person saying "Shabbat shalom!" and the one responding, "Shabbat shalom u'mevorakh!"

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Lang is right about shabbat shalom (or, in Ashkenazic Hebrew, shabbes sholem) never having been used in Yiddish-speaking Eastern Europe, even though there were Eastern European Hasidim who adopted what was known as nusakh Ha-Ari, the Lurianic liturgy and prayer book. Indeed, when late 19th-century Eastern European Hebrew fiction writer Mendele Mokher Seforim wished to put a Sabbath greeting in the mouths of his characters — that is, when he had to translate the Yiddish a gutn shabbes into Hebrew — he never used shabbat shalom. Nor did he literally render a gutn shabbes into Hebrew as shabbat tova. Rather, he resorted to the Aramaic equivalent of shabta taba.

If we think, then, not of the origins of shabbat shalom but of its adoption as a standard Sabbath greeting, first in Israel and subsequently in much of the Diaspora, Berel Lang does, I think, have a valid point. Secular Eastern European Jews who came as Zionist pioneers to Palestine and encountered shabbat shalom among Sephardim preferred it to shabta taba or shabbat tova, both for its own charm and because it did not reverberate with the Eastern European religiosity against which their Zionism was a rebellion. In this sense, their adoption of shabbat shalom may be said to have had similar motives to their adoption of Sephardic pronunciation, or what they took to be such, for the Hebrew spoken by them in the early Zionist colonies.

Today, with the exception of the ultra-Orthodox, who continue to say "a gutn shabbes" or "gut shabbes," the greeting of "shabbat shalom" is heard all over the Jewish world. There are however, different responses to it. One is the traditional Lurianic "shabbat shalom u'mevorakh." Another is "shabbat shalom u'verakha — "shabbat shalom and a blessing" — which is perhaps an attempt to get around the lack of clarity of u'mevorakh. A third is to reply in kind, answering someone else's "shabbat shalom" with a "shabbat shalom" of one's own. All are acceptable. Feel free to use whichever you like best.

[url= Cache of a deleted page from 'Forward' The Jewish Daily[/url]

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

This Shabbat is also the start of Succot. If you want to see a really beautiful movie about Succot (this is not a kind of Jewish da'wah), [url=.

Shabbat Shalom!

[img]

how do you answer to shabbat shalom?

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

I always use 'you too'.

It works for almost everything. and you do not need to think of a real response.

But I have put my foot in it the last couple of times.

'good luck' 'you too'.

(It should be 'thanks'....)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ok, 100, you too!

Thanks!

"zara" wrote:
how do you answer to shabbat shalom?

"Admin" wrote:
Quote:
Today, with the exception of the ultra-Orthodox, who continue to say "a gutn shabbes" or "gut shabbes," the greeting of "shabbat shalom" is heard all over the Jewish world. There are however, different responses to it. One is the traditional Lurianic "shabbat shalom u'mevorakh." Another is "shabbat shalom u'verakha — "shabbat shalom and a blessing" — which is perhaps an attempt to get around the lack of clarity of u'mevorakh. A third is to reply in kind, answering someone else's "shabbat shalom" with a "shabbat shalom" of one's own. All are acceptable. Feel free to use whichever you like best.

I don't think I have ever heard someone say "u'vracha" at the end although sometimes "u'mevorach", but that is a greeting and not necessarily a response. In short the answer is to say "Shabbat Shalom". If someone says "Shalom Aleichem" the response is "Aleichem Shalom".

Sh'vua tov!

[img]

Quote:
Sh'vua tov!

you too! (even tho i haven't got a clue what it means!)

100 may i ask why all jewish litrature is a fricken rip off

$500 dollers for a decent torah translation with good jewish footnotes
$50 dollers for just one volume of the Talmud (and theres over 60 to collect)

Assiyah spent £60 on a translation of the quran, i almost died...

there are over 30 translations of the quran available free on-line

and why can't non-jews access A LOT of jewish litrature?

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

"TEX" wrote:
100 may i ask why all jewish litrature is a fricken rip off

$500 dollers for a decent torah translation with good jewish footnotes

It is a big book but where have you found it costs $500? You can get cheaper but Artscroll and Soncino are the most popular translations. They cost £20-30:

And why are you complaining about the number of books of the Talmud?

And you can find free versions online too. Not as if these are cheaper to Jews than to non-Jews. Are you just being offensive?

"zara" wrote:
Quote:
Sh'vua tov!

Thank you. It means have a good week, now that Shabbat and Chag (festive days) are over.

no 100 i is not being offensive

however why cant goys look at all jewish litrature, y is sum exclusive for jews only

and 100 y can't serphardi jews marry ashkenazi jews?

is u an ashkenazi jew?

[color=red]"The best of people are those who live longest and excel in their deeds, whereas the worst of people are those who live longest and corrupt their deeds." [Tirmidhî, Sahîh] [/color]

"The Great 100" wrote:
"zara" wrote:
Quote:
Sh'vua tov!

Thank you. It means have a good week, now that Shabbat and Chag (festive days) are over.

what are you ment to do on shabbat and chag?

"TEX" wrote:
no 100 i is not being offensive

however why cant goys look at all jewish litrature, y is sum exclusive for jews only

There is nothing you can't access if you want to and nothing is being hidden from you. Altogether I have the impression you have been wallowing in antisemitism, because you are saying a lot of untrue things, and quoting things out of context that have been used against Jews for centuries. You are not suddenly onto something, except classical antisemitism.

"TEX" wrote:
and 100 y can't serphardi jews marry ashkenazi jews?

is u an ashkenazi jew?

They can and they do it all the time. My ashkenazi friend just married a sephardi Indian. I am ashkenazi. You would be better prefacing these questions by asking if the views therein are accurate, because you are making a mockery of your intellect, and I know you are not stupid.

"zara" wrote:
"The Great 100" wrote:
"zara" wrote:
Quote:
Sh'vua tov!

what are you ment to do on shabbat and chag?

Google it. I am not enjoying dancing to your tune today. I am going out now.

dude i was only asking

This weekend is Simchat Torah. We celebrate the completion of the cycle of Torah readings and go through it all again with a song and a dance.

[img]

[color=darkred]Juma Mubarak![/color]

[color=violet]Ramadan Mubarak![/color]

[color=blue]Shabbat Shalom![/color]

[color=green]Chag Sameach![/color]

[color=olive]Peace and Love![/color]

"The Great 100" wrote:
This weekend is Simchat Torah. We celebrate the completion of the cycle of Torah readings and go through it all again with a song and a dance.

have a good time!

Quote:

[img]

do u get to dance wid all dem girls?

is u an orthadox jew?

"The Great 100" wrote:

There is nothing you can't access if you want to and nothing is being hidden from you. Altogether I have the impression you have been wallowing in antisemitism, because you are saying a lot of untrue things, and quoting things out of context that have been used against Jews for centuries. You are not suddenly onto something, except classical antisemitism.

dude i heard a rabbi say that gentiles can't read most parts of Eben HaEzer.

"TEX" wrote:

They can and they do it all the time. My ashkenazi friend just married a sephardi Indian. I am ashkenazi.

in the very popular jewish site aish.com it said that there is often a stigma attatched

dude i is getting this stuff off jews and not anti-jewish sites

happy days!

Yet again I have failed to keep my own deadline for answering TEX. My apologies. :oops: I would say next week, and that is my intention, but I fear that would not mean much even to me. But I do promise to do it. On a positive note I have finally given up smoking. Biggrin

Juma Mubarak! Lol

I want to become a better Muslim by following the Prophet's (pbuh) sunna. I wish to further my knowledge on Islam and put it into practice in my daily life. And if I can be of any help/guidence then always willing to oblige.

ADMIIIIIN!

And why on this thread? I think it is an existing user.

[size=10][color=darkred]*EDIT*[/color][/size] [size=11]Someone spammed the thread and Admin has now removed it [/size][size=10][color=darkred]*/EDIT*[/color][/size]

Admin, maybe you missed the comment, two post previous.

sorted

Pages