women actresses- a good thing?

salaam

'I want to open people's minds'
Sara Kohal

Sara's aunt is an actress in Iran and inspired her
Sara Kohal is no ordinary aspiring actress. The 20-year-old wears the hijab, the traditional head-covering worn by many Muslim women.

She freely admits she is a wannabe, scrambling to get a foothold in a notoriously difficult profession.

But as a practising Muslim, she faces all sorts of obstacles when she portrays a character. She does not drink or smoke, she must be careful about touching men - and obviously she cannot show anything other than her face and hands.

She contacted the BBC News website because she was frustrated by the lack of opportunity and because she wants to see greater representation of Muslim women on stage and screen.

discuss...

wasalaam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

'I want to open people's minds'
Sara Kohal

Sara's aunt is an actress in Iran and inspired her
Sara Kohal is no ordinary aspiring actress. The 20-year-old wears the hijab, the traditional head-covering worn by many Muslim women.

She does not drink or smoke, she must be careful about touching men - and obviously she cannot show anything other than her face and hands.

So whats the problem? Extremists will always have a problem with Muslim women on TV even if they're covered properly.

i've read all the article and ironically many of the replies from non muslims seem to highlight the problems posed for not just muslim women wishing to pursue a career in acting but devout women and men from other faiths.

Since she wants to leave her headscarf on she will be limiting the sorts of roles she can play. i.e how could she play a non muslim character with a hijab on, it just wouldn't work no director would give her the part.

Would she always be happy to play a muslim character and nothing else? Wouldn't that bring her acting career to a standstill?

She can't be fussy in what sorts of clothing she wears either. What if it's a costume drama say like a sense and sensiblity type. The dresses tend to be cut low. So what's she gona do? She will have to do as the director says.

What if there's a romantic scene i.e kissing scene would she be willing to do that?

But devout muslim men would have similar problems if they wanted to act aswell, it's not just a female issue.

It seems as if she cares about her faith, but wants to act aswell. Practically i don't see how it would work, especially if she wants to get into the western film/tv industry yet retain her hijab and sense of modesty. It seems as if she would have to dispose of these?

. She does not drink or smoke, she must be careful about touching men - and obviously she cannot show anything other than her face and hands.

She knows her limits. So obviously she would not accept dirty roles.
Many bollywood actresses set limits for themselves.

"Ramz" wrote:
. She does not drink or smoke, she must be careful about touching men - and obviously she cannot show anything other than her face and hands.

She knows her limits. So obviously she would not accept dirty roles.
Many bollywood actresses set limits for themselves.

Its amazing what fame can do to you. I personally hate majority of the film industry as it promotes a load of filth!

It all depends on her dress and what kind of roles she decides to do...

i don't understand why it's considered acceptable to wear a wig to cover your own hair, but not to show your natural hair? if the answer is about modesty, surely if you take the hijab, you shouldn't alternate it/cover it with a wig?

"aaliya" wrote:
i don't understand why it's considered acceptable to wear a wig to cover your own hair, but not to show your natural hair? if the answer is about modesty, surely if you take the hijab, you shouldn't alternate it/cover it with a wig?

It's not acceptable, it's the same thing as showing your own hair coz not everyone can tel you are wearing a wig hence it gets you attention. So i would think it's islamically wrong to wear a wig when a non-mahram is present.

??

Wig looks like hair anyway...so in many cases not many people will know if your wearing a wig or showing your own hair.

Hijaab means to cover your beauty...and a womans hair is her beauty.

BTW I've heard that women are forbidden to wear wigs other then for medical reasons....is this true? I have a hair band that has some fake hair on it...

Salam

Women are natural actors.

Most men lack the ability to work out when a girl is pretending and when she is really in pain.

Omrow

yes MuslimSis you're right, fake hair whether wigs, eye lashes or anything else like this are forbidden to us. Check out sunnipath, lots of info there.

"yashmaki" wrote:
yes MuslimSis you're right, fake hair whether wigs, eye lashes or anything else like this are forbidden to us. Check out sunnipath, lots of info there.

but i assume she is shi'a, their rules on the subject may be different.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]