"Islamophobia"?

Is anyone else uncompfortable with the official use of this term.

I don't like it primarily because it just sounds like a quickly thought up term indicative of the sloganistic culture we live in.

Secondly a phobia is a psychological condition based on childhood experiences so it isn't even relevant in that sense.

I don't think there's a problem using it on forums and stuff but when I hear adult muslims using it on TV it does sound slightly childish and embarrasing.

"salaf" wrote:

I don't like it primarily because it just sounds like a quickly thought up term indicative of the sloganistic culture we live in.

Secondly a phobia is a psychological condition based on childhood experiences so it isn't even relevant in that sense.

I don't think there's a problem using it on forums and stuff but when I hear adult muslims using it on TV it does sound slightly childish and embarrasing.

atleast its not as bad as "homophobia"... :roll: that is actually the dumbest slogan i ever heard.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

slogans are Grrrreat! As tony tiger supposedly says.

erm...

well there are people who are afraid of 'moslems'.

Just a non-incident at work today:

At lunch there were two people talking; one man late 20's, one woman, 40's I think talking about a burglary:

Man: '... well they caught the guy. It was an Israeli student.'
Woman: 'well, it always these foriegners isn't it?'

I was thinking she was probably a Daily Mail reader, when I caught her looking at me with an uncomfortable, semi frightened look on her face!

I was too hungry to tease, but normally I try not let such opportunities to pass (when I notice them).

I find it amusing when I make people feel uncomfortable. (but only when its not my fault). Milk it for what its worth.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:

atleast its not as bad as "homophobia"... :roll: that is actually the dumbest slogan i ever heard.

Well thats not really justification for using "islamophobia". If people dislike certain practices of Islam then thats their personal choice. It doesn't mean that they're scarred of Islam. Do we really need the approval of non-muslims that badly?

"salaf" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:

Well thats not really justification for using "islamophobia". If people dislike certain practices of Islam then thats their personal choice. It doesn't mean that they're scarred of Islam. Do we really need the approval of non-muslims that badly?

i wasnt trying to justify using "islamophobia" - tht was just the first thought that popped into my head when i read ur post: i think "homophobia" is a stupid word coz tho ppl mite disagree with homosexuality, they are not [b]scared[/b] of it, or those who practice it. :roll:
whereas, (to adress ur point now) when it comes to Islam, there are actually ppl out there who fear Islam, and Muslims. i've witnessed it myself & as admin said, its amusing (in a sad way). :?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"salaf" wrote:

i personally dont like the term when its used by non-Muslims who hardly know anything about Islam what so ever....and they claim to fear it. Its just stupid.

'Islamaphobia' is a term that began to be used before Sep 11. I remember several years ago my grandad forcing me to read some official report which was half about Islamaphobia.

I supose Islamaphobia is the Muslim equivalent of anti-Semitism. Anti-Semitism has been hijacked by Jews so can no longer be used to aplly to other Semites (ie Arabs).

If anyone can think of an alternative to 'Islamaphobia' please let the rest of us know.

"irfan" wrote:
Anti-Semitism has been hijacked by Jews so can no longer be used to aplly to other Semites (ie Arabs).

Be careful Wink

"Anti-Semitism has been hijacked by Jews"

You're obviously really thick, or something. I don't know any sane person who goes about making such dodgy remarks without looking something up. Go look up the origins of the word antisemitism, instead of working out the meaning on your own, and then my challenge to you is come back here and tell us what you found.

What astounds me is the academic level of most people here is not to challenge whatever suits.

I also get an uncomfortable feeling when people give me awkward looks.

"Purity is half of faith.......Prayer is the light...patience is illumination; and the Quran is an argument for or against you. Everyone starts his day and is a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or bringing about its ruin." Muslim

"100" wrote:
"Anti-Semitism has been hijacked by Jews"

You're obviously really thick, or something. I don't know any sane person who goes about making such dodgy remarks without looking something up. Go look up the origins of the word antisemitism, instead of working out the meaning on your own, and then my challenge to you is come back here and tell us what you found.

What astounds me is the academic level of most people here is not to challenge whatever suits.

100, wot is ur problem? just because u dont agree with someone, it doesnt make u intellectually superior - ur beginning to sound dangerously similar to omrow (and that can't b a good thing!)

i checked out "Anti-Semitism" on a source which u have quoted from before on other topics, so that u wouldnt accuse me of bias :roll: - here's Wikipedia:

Quote:
The word antisemitic or antisemitisch was probably first used in 1860 by the Jewish scholar Moritz Steinschneider in the phrase "antisemitic prejudices" ("antisemitischen Vorurtheile"). Steinschneider used this phrase to characterize Ernest Renan's ideas about Semitic racial traits. These ideas about "Semitic races" , and how they were inferior to "Aryan races", became quite widespread in Europe in the second half of the 19th century. Especially the Prussian nationalistic historian Heinrich von Treitschke did much to promote this form of racism. In Treitschke's writings Semitic was practically synonomous with Jewish. When the political writer Wilhelm Marr coined the German word Antisemitismus in 1879, its meaning was identical to Jew-hatred or Judenhass. The new word antisemitism was used merely to make Jew-hatred seem rational and sanctioned by scientific knowledge. However, it was never intended to eliminate the concept of hatred towards Jews based on the Christian conspiracies and legends so popular with the general population. In his book, "The Way to Victory of Germanicism over Judaism" (1879), Marr took up secular racist ideas of Arthur de Gobineau's "An Essay on the Inequality of the Human Races" (1853, though direct influence is debatable). Marr's book became very popular, and in the same year he founded the "League of Anti-Semites" ("Antisemiten-Liga"), the first German organization committed specifically to combatting the alleged threat to Germany posed by the Jews, and advocating their forced removal from the country.

So far as can be ascertained, the word was first printed in 1881. In that year Marr published "Zwanglose Antisemitische Hefte," and Wilhelm Scherer used the term "Antisemiten" in the "Neue Freie Presse" of January. The related word semitism was coined around 1885. See also the coinage of the term "Palestinian" by Germans to refer to the nation or people known as Jews, as distinct from the religion of Judaism.

nothing in there seems to disagree with what Irfan says... having read the above, the way i see it is basically: Jews and their sympathisers used the word "Semite" (even though it applied to arabs too) to further their own cause.

Thankyou Aasiyah.

100. Are you saying Arabs are not Semites/Semitic?

This is ridiculous.

Can we please get back to the topic of the thread.

"salaf" wrote:
This is ridiculous.

Can we please get back to the topic of the thread.

This is not as ridiculous as it seems.

Maybe by the end of the disscussion we will find that anti-Semitism should also apply to Islam and Muslims too. Wait... maybe that is ridiculous.

But seeing as you think 'Islamaphobia' is embarrasing, we should look at alternative labels.

Islamophobia is fear and/or hatred of Islam, Muslims or Islamic culture. Islamophobia encompasses the belief that Islam promotes religious fanaticism, violent tendencies towards non-Muslims, terrorism and rejects concepts such as equality, tolerance, democracy and human rights. It is viewed as a new form of racial prejudice whereby Muslims, an ethno-religious group, not a race, are nevertheless constructed as a race. A set of negative assumptions are made of the entire group to the detriment of members of that group. How new it is, in the historic light of The Crusades, is debatable and could be as old as the 11th or even 8th Century AD.

-wikipedia

That really says it all.

Back in BLACK

Aasiyah, Irfan,

Kid yourselves. I'm not going to argue over the meaning of a word. What Aasiyah posted supports what I've said. The idea the Jews have (Irfan) 'hijacked' the term antisemitism to (Aasiyah) 'further their own cause' is pretty pathetic drivel and, in my opinion, suggests monumental ignorance. Drivel. Wallow in it, I'm not around this weekend. Thanks for looking it up in an impartial source, Aasiyah, "so that u wouldnt accuse me of bias :roll:". Good approach to knowing things. Have a pleasant weekend.

Shabbat Shalom

*100 miserably departs, disappointed and not expecting an upturn*

"100" wrote:
Aasiyah, Irfan,

Kid yourselves. I'm not going to argue over the meaning of a word. What Aasiyah posted supports what I've said. The idea the Jews have (Irfan) 'hijacked' the term antisemitism to (Aasiyah) 'further their own cause' is pretty pathetic drivel and, in my opinion, suggests monumental ignorance. Drivel. Wallow in it, I'm not around this weekend. Thanks for looking it up in an impartial source, Aasiyah, "so that u wouldnt accuse me of bias :roll:". Good approach to knowing things. Have a pleasant weekend.

Shabbat Shalom

*100 miserably departs, disappointed and not expecting an upturn*

how typical - a source which u feel endorses ur own view is an "impartial source". er, yeh, whatever.

ah, the old 'monumental ignorance' line again.... lol, looks like ur posts aren't ever gonna change 100. Smile

For real.

*Gently closes door.*

"Islamic Brother" wrote:
I also get an uncomfortable feeling when people give me awkward looks.

i dont! , this mainly happended after sept 11 cuz of my hijab ppl use to get scared when i got on the bus its like i aint gona blow anythin up but if they give u awkward looks just give them dirty look, works normally and they look away...

"Islamaphobia" silly ppl who suffer from this, one thing that really gets me annoyed is ppl have misunderstandin bout islam and they cnt be bothered getin off their lazy butts to find out bout it they just follow the media and believe every rubbish they write!

"angel" wrote:
i dont! , this mainly happended after sept 11 cuz of my hijab ppl use to get scared when i got on the bus its like i aint gona blow anythin up but if they give u awkward looks just give them dirty look, works normally and they look away...

lol i know the feeling sis...u get on the bus and everyone stares at u in a mixture of shock n horror...iv only noticed it after the london bombings but do u know what...i jus smile at them...n i think they realise their stupidity..get embarassed...quickly smile back n look away...lolzzzzzz Biggrin thats the way 2 do it!!!

"muslim_kuri" wrote:
"angel" wrote:

lol i know the feeling sis...u get on the bus and everyone stares at u in a mixture of shock n horror...iv only noticed it after the london bombings but do u know what...i jus smile at them...n i think they realise their stupidity..get embarassed...quickly smile back n look away...lolzzzzzz Biggrin thats the way 2 do it!!!

Or you could look at them and start laughing manically and keep repeating:

"Big Bada-boom!"

lol

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:
"muslim_kuri" wrote:
"angel" wrote:

"Big Bada-boom!"

lol

Seraph il advise you 2 keep your manic laughter advice 2 yourself lol

"Seraph" wrote:

"Big Bada-boom!"

lol

i dont think the "boom" would go down so well but truthfully i havnt really been scared when ppl look at me, i just keep faith in Allah (swt) to keep me safe and read durood sharif all the time, works for me..but somehow i think the level of violence is much worse down south than in scot.

"angel" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

"Big Bada-boom!"

lol

i dont think the "boom" would go down so well but truthfully i havnt really been scared when ppl look at me, i just keep faith in Allah (swt) to keep me safe and read durood sharif all the time, works for me..but somehow i think the level of violence is much worse down south than in scot.

true..no point getting scared..just put your trust in Allah Almighty and things usually stay kool

not sure about where the violence is greater...where i live its not 2 bad...but dont wana speak 2 soon...

"muslim_kuri" wrote:

true..no point getting scared..just put your trust in Allah Almighty and things usually stay kool

not sure about where the violence is greater...where i live its not 2 bad...but dont wana speak 2 soon...

I spoke to soon, i hadn't heard bout any pyshical violence on any muslim b4 i posted bout the violence level in scot untill i heard last night that some muslim male got attacked outside a mosque here in glasgow not 2 far away frm where i live..

"angel" wrote:
"muslim_kuri" wrote:

I spoke to soon, i hadn't heard bout any pyshical violence on any muslim b4 i posted bout the violence level in scot untill i heard last night that some muslim male got attacked outside a mosque here in glasgow not 2 far away frm where i live..

sorry 2 hear that...hope i didnt speak 2 soon...

these attacks on Muslims are getting ridiculous...i mean dont these people think that one day down the line (maybe not far down the line) Muslims will actually retaliate n fight back....what we gonna have then? riots!

Still no point being scared.

Just watch your back and make sure you have ample backup at a moments notice. Remember a pone is also a weapon. It can also be used to cause some serious damage (hit it against someones face whilst in your fist)!

Any one need some basic self defense, watch 'Mind, Body and Kickass moves', which comes on BBC3

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I aint sacred of nothing

but my old man is-

he's doing my head in :roll:

if sumins going to happen to me-it'll happen

there is nothing that can be done to prevent it

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

if sumins going to happen to me-it'll happen

there is nothing that can be done to prevent it

thats what i say to...but parents cant help being worried