Non-Muslims wearing Hijab

What's your opinion of non-Muslims wearing Hijab publicly? Do you think it's disrespectful to Islam and female Muslims or do you think it's something that you'd encourage? I wonder how you'd go about it. Share your views. 

Tags: 

??????

Why would a non-muslim randomly decide to wear a Hijab in public? I don't get where you're going with this...

Why would it be disrespectful?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

adsum wrote:
i guess ive never really heard of a non muslim wearing a hijab but i think wearing a hijab whilst acting or dressing in a way which contradicts islamic beliefs may show hijab in a negative light. i know girls who will wear a scarf as a one off if their having a bad hair day and then theres those girls who dont fully understand that modesty is part of the package. i watched a documentry where men in Dubai explained the nowadays its easy to flirt with many girls who cover their heads were as back in the day hijab meant 'dont disrespect her bro, she'll get her dad on you' 

I also beleive that hijab is a symbol of faith, its something that something that shouts 'im muslim and i aint afraid to show it!' if non muslim women started wearing it, it wouldnt be our thing lol 

also hi im new here Smile 

Hey, salaam! and welcome to the forum adsum Smile

@Hummus...I'm wondering the same as _Me_ , why would they be wearing it? What perspective are you coming from? I've read of non-Muslims wearing it to show solidarity to Muslims, and to just experrience it. I don't think that's wrong in any way, and it's nice of them to do that and hopefully a positive learning experience too. Just the other day someone said they know of a women who tried to wear the niqab to see what it's like and she found it "liberating but hot". 

I can see where adsum is coming from, saying it if someone does it when they have contradicting beliefs it may look bad but I don't think that applies for non-Muslims as much as Muslims themselves, who aren't fully "commited" to wearing it. Then again, even for the Muslim girls there's the whole thing of it being a personal concern.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I think our moderators have assumed that adsum is a spammer and hence have removed her comment but thankfully it's already been quoted before that happened. That aside..

To your questions, (well TPOS you've pretty much given your respose), but for the rest of you, i was talking about non-Muslims who wear it when they feel like it or on days such as the 'World Hijab Day'.

Personally, i wouldn't actually mind at all. If they're wearing it to know what it feels like to be in the shoes of a Muslim female, then who knows, maybe because of that, one day they'll turn to Islam and are amazed by the beauty within. For that reason i don't think it's disrespectful but rather, a step towards the right direction. 

But i'm trying to see the flip side to it and see if there's anyone who'd disagree with me and see if from a different angle. I thought they'll be people out there who see Hijab as a religious piece of clothing, worn for covering and modesty and as a part of their identity and so, if others are doing it, they might just think it's being worn for a bit of a joke.  

Hummus wrote:
I think our moderators have assumed that adsum is a spammer and hence have removed her comment ...

oops

Back on topic. I think its dangerous to force exclusivity on things like this and IMO its a good thing if someone wants to wear it.

I have read of a case where a woman in America started wearing the niqab because she considered that as undoing of an aspect of slavery where the African Americans had lost their culture. She later embraced Islam too.

For her, changing her dress code was an aspect of freedom, a step away from historical injustice.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Gosh admin, the power's getting to ya. Hopefully adsum will create another account :/

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Not admin's fault (nt saying ur saying it is) but, have u SEEN the weird names in the who's new box? It depresses me..n better accidentally delete smeone real then leave sme annoying spamming bot/

If I wasnt too lazy id go n log out n try to create an account, to see if it asks for them "enter the letters u see in yhe box" thing. Do we have one of those?

(edited: typed this on my phone and it was a disaster...)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Yep the username may not have seemed legit but admin should check if they accounts have posted and what they've posted to avoid these accidents.
but I was kidding about the power thing.

Awwh it's nice to know that we all accept the idea of non-Muslims wearing Hijab!

-

There's a quote i'd like to share about Hijab: 'If the Virgin Mary appears wearing a veil on all her pictures, how can you ask me to  sign a Hijab ban law?'. Said very nicely by Roberto Maroni, Italian Minister.

Hummus wrote:
Awwh it's nice to know that we all accept the idea of non-Muslims wearing Hijab!

-

There's a quote i'd like to share about Hijab: 'If the Virgin Mary appears wearing a veil on all her pictures, how can you ask me to  sign a Hijab ban law?'. Said very nicely by Roberto Maroni, Italian Minister.

The world is not full of Christians, that quote wouldn't be accepted by everyone. Just saying.

TPOS wrote:
Hummus wrote:

-

The world is not full of Christians, that quote wouldn't be accepted by everyone. Just saying.

Ofcourse i knew that! Blum 3

I myself am Catholic, but I recently started wearing the hijab after a Muslim friend explained to me why she wears it.

I find it to be liberating and beautiful. I feel like it lets others know that my body is sacred and only for my husband.

Erika wrote:
I myself am Catholic, but I recently started wearing the hijab after a Muslim friend explained to me why she wears it.

I find it to be liberating and beautiful. I feel like it lets others know that my body is sacred and only for my husband.

This makes me happy Biggrin

Erika wrote:

that's pretty cool! how you finding it?

personally my idea of hijab is not just about being Muslim or not. I think you could wear a head scarf as a sign of personal modesty, of taking back your body, of being in control of you. covering up could also distance you from society's views on sexuality, body image and 'beauty' and focus on the intellectual abilities and power of the woman. I find a woman wearing a hijab whether they be Muslim or not, empowering and because of this I respect anyone who chooses to do so

I am not a Muslim and I wear hijab. I have considered converting to Islam since the age of 14 and recently I have begun to study. I have always been a huge fan of the hijab and now I have begun wearing it. Even though I am not a Muslim because I understand and believe in the concept of hijab. I think that Islam is one of the most beautiful yet the most misunderstood religions. Even Jewish and Christian women are commanded to cover their hair especially during prayer. I wear hijab everyday except for a few occasions. When I do I dress modestly and I don't behave in a manner that contradicts the beliefs of Islam. The hijab reminds me to be a better person both inside, outside and also spiritually. To set a better example for myself and others and it is such a freeing and empowering feeling to walk around and know you aren't being judged on your hair or your body shape. Even though I am not Muslim I don't think that is something that should be deprived to anyone. As for being greeted by other Muslims I reply because even in Christian churches when they say peace be with you you respond with and also with you which is the english equivalent of As-salamu alaykum/alaykum wa-salam. We should always wish peace upon each other religious or not. 

wouaw this is super inspirational. I never thought I'd see a post like that especially now with the times being all "muslims are terrorists". I'd never thought someone would not mind being confused with a muslim. I hope you find some answers and feel welcome to ask questions here!

Anonymous wrote:
I am not a Muslim and I wear hijab. I have considered converting to Islam since the age of 14 and recently I have begun to study. I have always been a huge fan of the hijab and now I have begun wearing it. Even though I am not a Muslim because I understand and believe in the concept of hijab. I think that Islam is one of the most beautiful yet the most misunderstood religions. Even Jewish and Christian women are commanded to cover their hair especially during prayer. I wear hijab everyday except for a few occasions. When I do I dress modestly and I don't behave in a manner that contradicts the beliefs of Islam. The hijab reminds me to be a better person both inside, outside and also spiritually. To set a better example for myself and others and it is such a freeing and empowering feeling to walk around and know you aren't being judged on your hair or your body shape. Even though I am not Muslim I don't think that is something that should be deprived to anyone. As for being greeted by other Muslims I reply because even in Christian churches when they say peace be with you you respond with and also with you which is the english equivalent of As-salamu alaykum/alaykum wa-salam. We should always wish peace upon each other religious or not. 

This is beautiful and inspirational. May Allah make it easy for you to convert and live by the straight path Smile

Hopefully if that is the wish of God. Please check out and share the link to my blog if you have a few moments. I would really appreciate it! 

Thank you! I appreciate the openness. Please, if you have a few moments visit my blog and share the link. If you leave a comment I will be able to respond and communicate with you much easier. 

theblackhijabi.wordpress.com

Thanks for posting your blog.

If you want, you can create an account on here and cross post your blogs that may be relevant.

I am sure many people here will be interested in your experiences and thoughts.