SBF and I were just talking about this,
Hers are Surah Yasin and Surah Ar-Rahman, which I just checked out and its really scary yet poetic.
My favourite is Surat an-Nur (if that's right):
- Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth.
- The parable of His Light is a niche wherein is a lamp—
- the lamp is in a glass, the glass as it were a glittering star—
- lit from a blessed olive tree,
- neither eastern nor western,
- whose oil almost lights up,
- though fire should not touch it.
- Light upon light.
- Allah guides to His Light whomever He wishes.
- Allah draws parables for mankind,
- and Allah has knowledge of all things.
- I love it because it's so sharp and beautiful and soft, and yet it's strong and very meaningful. To me it says that Allah has so much power and significance that we might get a little glance of, but if Allah does not wish to guide you to his light, then you're nothing, and maybe nothing you ever do will be good enough.
- Anyway, what's your favourite Quranic passage and why?