When and why do you start Ramadhan on the day that you do?

To those of you who've began this blessed month of Ramadhan, then Ramadhan Mubarak to all of you and for those who are starting tonight, then im sure you're very excited! You might think this topic has already been discussed, but i'd like everyone, the old members and the newbies to share their opinions and thoughts about the day they begin Ramadhan. Once i've heard what you have to say, i'll share mine. So why exactly do you or your families or the mosque you follow, start Ramadhan on the day that you do? I can't wait to hear your responses, so do share them here.

It's a bit pointless to talk about this aint it?
It'll just end up like all the other moon fights.
At the end of the day people generally just follow their local mosque.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I don't want it to end up like a big 'fight', I'd rather call it a discussion or debate. I just want to know what other people think. If you want to share your thoughts, then do so, otherwise you can read everyone elses, or simply ignore this.

You'll see I did share my opinion Blum 3

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Let the "moon fight" BEEGGIIINNNNNNN.....

Death is the end of time. Not the end of Life.

Smile Biggrin

Well, I'm glad it's starting on a a Saturday and not on a Friday. This way, I have two days at home to get used to it before I have  to fast at work.

Smile

@Golden Darkness Yeah! That's what I heard...that you should fast whenever the moon is sighted in your country...and since England is too cloudy some say they should follow Saudi whilst others think we should follow the nearest Islamic state (Morocco). I don't know how reliable this is but...Happy Ramadan whenever you start! Wink

Ramadan Mubarak.

There are a few approaches to the start of ramadan:

Approach 1 - the moon is sighted "locally" for the last month to end, or 30 days of the last month are completed.

Approach 2 - the moon is sighted anywhere and you take any sighting as meaning that the month has started globally.

Approach 3 - the moon is sighted in a lcoation to your east, and since the moon gets bigger with time, that means it should be sighteable, so you take that as a "local" sighting.

In all 3 there is an issue of trust - do you trust who has sighted the moon? and no, single testimony is not always enough, in the past single testimony was initially used but then ther equirements were increased with multiple testimonies required infront of a judge who would tehn decide if they were honest or credible.

A method used by some to decide on credibility of the testimonies is "could the moon have been seen?" and there are calculations over periods of time and locations of the moon where the moon cant be seen, so sometimes the testimonies aer rejected.

Then there are approaches 4 and 5 - knowledge that the moon should be born or visible.

I dont have a problem with any approach and everyone should follow their local mosque as there is no wrong answer in this and any stirring is mainly just used to dig a knife into other mosques or groups.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.